on 22 May 2014
I have been involved in many different aspects of Data Management since the early 1980's, and have a library
at home with dozens of books on the subject. I am personally acquainted with many of the big names in the
data management field, and am a Founding Member & Director of the Belgium & Luxembourg chapter of DAMA
(Data Management Association), although I am originally from Boston (I came to Belgium in 1991, when I was
working for Charlie Bachman & Bachman Information Systems).

In a word, Tom's "Data Driven" book is SUPERB. Although I typically work in Data Modeling, Data Architecture,
Database Design, and Data Warehousing / Analytics, I don't consider myself typical, as when I work for a client
I really want to learn everything about what makes the business successful. For the last 10 or 20 years, I have
come to the conclusion that the success of data-intensive projects relies primarily on Data Quality, and in this book,
Tom takes a very practical look at this, and provides some excellent advice which is understandable by both IT / Data
Management people and by business people (after all, this is published by the HBR Press).

I regularly recommend this book to people, and in fact right now it is on loan to an Enterprise Data Architect
who works in a different industry (so I will ask him to return it shortly, and he can buy his own copy!). Well
done, Tom; I am looking forward to the next book, even though this book is as relevant and important as it
was when it was released in 2008.
on 19 February 2016
This book gives a concise overview of how data needs to be treated as an asset and outlines specifically that IT should not be the sole arbitrator of all things data. Dr Redman challenges all business stakeholders to take responsible for the care and feeding of their data and give clear examples of how this drives business value today and even more so into the future.
on 29 October 2008
Tom Redman is a bad man. He has written a very very good book. Not only that, but it is the book that I'd been looking for and had thought about writing myself. That's why I think he's a bad man. ;-)

Because Tom's book is so darned good, I'll have to keep slaving away in the data quality mines for a few more years as my plan of writing the one of the keystone books for the next phase of the data/information quality revolution and dining out for years on the accolades has been foiled by a true master in the field.

Getting serious, this book represents a significant milestone in the evolution of the data quality profession. Being published by the Harvard Business Press is evidence enough of that, but the content and insights shared by Tom through the book, to my mind, provide the structural supports for the bridge that needs to be built between Business people and IT people when it comes to information quality. It also provides foundations for the bridge that needs to be built between the 'foot soldiers' (who see the problems and slog away on information quality projects which often seem more like trench warfare) and the executive boardroom which often can't seem to 'get' why this stuff is critically important.

I've read the book twice since I got it. It is a must read for anyone working with information or data with a concern for its quality. It's also a perfect Christmas gift for your boss or even your CEO. The clear and compelling communication of the business value of data/information to businesses and the edge that can be derived from doing your quality better raises the bar for the information/data quality profession.
on 9 March 2009
This is a highly readable, thorough, credible guide to the principles of data management. Author Thomas C. Redman covers all the bases, showing readers how to improve data quality, use data to make better decisions and establish management systems that will help nearly any company get the most from its data. Few business subjects have been more abused than data management; a common misconception consigns data management to the IT department. The author shows why the data is, most appropriately, a line rather than a staff responsibility. getAbstract recommends it highly to those whose business may live or die based on the quality of its data management - and that may be your company, whether you realize it yet or not.