on 24 April 2017
I gave this to an 11 year old friend who hadn't seen the dvd...my favourite film, I am 64!.....she absolutely adored it and was heartbroken when she found out that there weren't others to read.
on 30 March 2017
My daughter has been in love with Totoro since she first saw it, the book is excellent quality and the pictures are an added bonus, she is extremely happy with it and is now reading it to my grandson!
on 16 January 2016
Amazing
on 8 March 2017
Great, really pleased
on 30 December 2016
Perfect!!
on 4 August 2015
Very nice for the price I payed (even saving a couple of pounds). The canvas cover looks and feels wonderful and the paper is very white and quite thick. The print is large and the font is easily read.
The illustrations by Miyazaki himself are soft and more like sketches making them easy on the eyes and suitable for people of every age.
The book will be a birthday gift so I can't comment on the story itself but knowing Miyazaki, it will be brilliant.
The book is just lovely and will be much appreciated by the birthday boy who is a huge fan of Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli. Couldn't be happier. :)
on 9 June 2015
This book is wonderful!

It's a good quality product with a nice feel to it, the smell of the pages, the feel of the cover (it's almost canvas-like). It's beautifully written and reminds me slightly of Tove Jansson's Moomins in its style.

Once I had read it I bought a copy as a gift for my Grandma who also loved it!
on 10 August 2015
My Neighbor Totoro is my favourite of the Studio Ghibli collection. When I first watched it, I was blown away by the simplicity of the story and yet how wonderfully emotive it was. I bought this book when I spotted it in my local Waterstones one afternoon because I wanted to see if the story on the screen translated well to the page. With Miyazaki’s illustrations and original idea, it seemed like it would be a winner. It was.

My Neighbor Totoro follows Satsuki and her little sister Mei as they move into an old, dilapidated house in the middle of the countryside so that they can be near the hospital where there mother is sick with TB. As they settle into their new lives, the girls discover the spirit of the tree, Totoro, and are wrapped up in a world of magic that he shows them.

What I love about this story is that it can be enjoyed by everyone, of every age. A simple story about two girls who love their mother and are desperate for her to come back home, Totoro explores how emotional such tragedies are in the lives of young children. With laughter, tears, and sometimes even anger, the girls have a hard time coping at times.

The books was a little different to the movie, there were a few scenes that didn’t seem to be put into the novel, but it still worked well. As I read, I could picture the moments from the movie clearly and the added descriptions helped to bring it more to life.

Giving a new depth to this beautiful tale, this Studio Ghibli story has taken on a new lease of life in this re-telling; highly recommended for fans of Studio Ghibli stories. A fast read with beautiful illustrations throughout.
on 30 January 2014
I confess I haven’t read all of this book – my daughter read some of it on her own. For this reason I wasn’t going to submit a review. However, I then noticed that none of the reviewers who have posted here so far seem to have read any of it at all....

The story is a fairly faithful re-telling of the film. There are some differences; most notably, the ending is expanded here. The language is a bit American, which confused my daughter in places, and there was one verbless sentence that confused me too. Over all, though, it should delight anybody who was delighted by the film.

And the binding is lovely.
on 19 November 2015
Bought this book for my Daughter who loves My Neighbour Totoro. The book has now become well thumbed and has even been read by the rest of the family. My Daughter always says she easily jump from the novel to the book and often sees the film when she is reading.