on 8 October 2017
Absolutely awesome.
The box opens in the front and has it's own shelf, housing the entire manga + a novel taken place in the middle of the story, if you're into that sorta thing. On top of the box is a strap you can use, to carry the box around, which is perfect if you're binging and you're going away for a few days. If I could have a box like this for all my manga, I would be so happy. And it doubles as a fine piece of ass, if you have a shelf/section/room of nerd stuff.
on 6 October 2017
my daughter says it was better than she expected and she was expecting it to be great!
on 17 October 2017
Amazing series. Enough said. Do yourself a favour and read this!
on 19 December 2015
Totally worth the money spent. I already knew the story because I'm a huge fan of the two anime series, but I wanted to read it in the way the original creator meant it. I love the neat art style, the expressive faces, and the thrilling yet emotional story...Arakawa truly is one of the greatest mangaka out there. The box itself is tough and beautiful, and definitely makes a great deal since it contains the complete series and a novel. Unfortunately, it came a bit scratched on the edges...it could have been avoided with a better shipping packaging, though.
My advice? Buy it: either you already are a great fan of the series, or you just have heard about it, you totally won't regret reading this amazing manga. I love it!
on 18 June 2015
Only just got the box set today and it's a stunning box as seen in the pictures. It's a a shame al isent on the front with ed as that would look better IMO.
The box is very big as there are 28 books in the box set. 27 for the manga and one novle with a few pictures in places.
I have not read then yet of course but have watched brotherhood and was h
on 8 June 2017
Included a Latin dictionary, not sure why.
on 11 November 2013
Really amazing, contains all the books and a mini side book. Its also a lot cheaper that buying all the 27 books on their own. If you get this Id recommend getting the anime boxset which is this boxset but basically in film form Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Complete Series Collection (Episodes 1-64) [DVD]
on 10 June 2012
The first time I saw Fullmetal Alchemist was of course the old anime. And I loved it! Then I saw the new one, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.. and I really loved it!! And then I decided to buy the manga.. And to see it contained both animes in one.. I was literally in 7th Heaven!! How can anyone NOT love this manga??! It has the Youswell mines and everything!
I recommend this to ALL FMA fans, it really is worth buying! (The extras are hilarious!)
on 1 July 2013
Fullmetal Alchemist is a story of two brothers. It is a story about family and adversity. It may be glossed over by awesome magical looking abilities and a fantasy-like world, but in reality the main theme of this story, and the main characters' goal, is very human. To put their family back together, I suppose. Yes, I was drawn in by the hype of alchemy being used in such a way. Yes, the action enticed me - but damn it if I didn't stay for the story. That is the triumph of this manga, to draw you in with cliched "these characters have special abilities" and then soccer-punch you with feels and emotion. I won't lie, you're going to need tissues. ^^;

The art work is perfect. Why? Because it is unique. There's a lot of pretty, and beautiful manga out there, and yes I love it. But my problem is it is mostly style over substance. Samey and in the end, not enough to compensate for a lacking story. Himoru Arakawa not only delivers on story, but also has an individual and unique drawing style too. This really helps when making a fantasy world, as you are not thinking of or being reminded of anything else. It makes the experience fresh and new, something I've been looking for in a manga for a while.

I suppose I owe Mangaka Himoru Arakawa an apology. Here it is: I'm sorry that over 6 years ago when I started buying manga I got distracted by so many other stories. I'm sorry I didn't just pick up this story first, because by now I should have read it a hundred times over. I'm glad I corrected this error by finally giving your work a chance. It is, simply put, amazing. Thank you!

This is a truly quality box of manga. It offers huge value for money so long as you can get it for the originally offered retail price - which was £150 but then realistically bought down to an average of £100. To buy the 27 volumes in this set separately would cost you at least that. The set comes in a box that is decorated on all sides. The "door" into the box latches onto the side and opens at the front. it is held in place by velcro, but the box is hard and sturdy. It then has upper and lower shelving to house the manga and other contents. I think when it comes to Fullmetal Alchemist it's the inside that counts.

The contents are:

1: Volumes 1-27 of the manga.
2: 2 sided poster! Both images are of Al and Ed, in full colour. It is BIG, like at least ten by ten inches.

3: A light Novel called "The Ties that Bind" (which I admit I haven't read because I read novels very slowly and still have a pile of Terry Pratchett books to go through first).

So if you're looking for a new manga to read and you can still get this at a good price, buy it! If the price has inflated due to availability, then I would definitely just buy the single volumes. A poster and novel, plus the case to house them in is all well and good, but not worth a bundle more than retail price. Also, if you normally store your manga in bookshelves then the carry case here is probably too tall for that anyway. It's also quite heavy. What I really wanted to get across in this review is, box set or not, how fabulous the manga itself is. That's what is most important. Getting this set, if anything, is simply very convenient, rather than having to buy the books separately, and you WILL want them all. ;)
on 17 January 2015
Fullmetal Alchemist, both manga (this box set) and anime, is a fantastic series as the vast majority of people will tell you and I don't think I could articulate why it is as well as other people. What I will tell you is that it's consistently intelligent series and engaging throughout making it well worth your time.

Word of warning: Make sure to look at the pricing from the various sellers to make sure you are getting the best deal for you