This first volume of the Pokémon Adventures manga sees the young trainer named Red who embarks on a mission to become the best trainer in the world and capture every type of pokémon.

First off I must say that this manga has little to nothing to go with the Pokémon anime and follows its own storyline that is, to be honest, far superior to the one for the anime. The series does suffer somewhat from the translation which changes the name of Professor Oak's Grandson from Green (as it was in the original Japanese) to Blue and a few other changes. Other than this the series is still quite enjoyable, even if it does take some liberties with the rules set down by the game.
on 10 April 2017
Very happy boy...apparently the best book ever!! This might be a mum thing to say...but I'm not sure why it's printed backwards...?
on 6 June 2017
My son loves it, was a bargain and the book was in an excellen condition.
on 23 March 2010
I read these when I was little by borrowing my friends copy. Fast forward ten years and I decided to get my own. The storyline and characters were just as fun to read about as when I was eight-years-old. These adventures are suitable for all ages and I would recommend them to any pokemon fan!
on 29 June 2012
The Pokemon Adventures manga is a very, very loose adaptation of the first two Pokemon games Red and Blue (or Green if your Japanese).

The first three Volumes covers the Red/Blue era and unlike the Anime it follows the journey of Red, the playable character from the first game and his Pokemon partners Poliwhirl/Poliwrath (Poli) Bulbasaur (Saur) and Pika (Pikachu) on his quest to the strongest Pokemon trainer in the land. Standing in his way however is his rival Blue and the villainous organisation Team Rocket, who actually come across as a serious threat unlike the show and even the game this is base off of.

The main thing to bare in mind whilst reading this is to remember that this is not the anime, this manga follows its own story and has its own take on many of the characters from the games. Red himself is very different from Ash and while there are some similarities he is a very different entity.

Whilst not without its flaws, it is rather dated concidering how far we've come in terms of Pokemon games, and being an adaptation there are some liberties taken such as Poliwag and Nidorino hanging around Pallet Town and there being a Kangaskhan in Viridian Forest, however in the whole it is an enjoyable read and I think anyone who likes Pokemon will enjoy this.
on 29 March 2011
I've just received my order of Pokemon Adventures Vol.1 and its great!

Loosely based on the video games of red, blue, yellow and so on and so forth, it is another good, but confusing variation of the Pokemon Universe. For those who enjoy playing the video games, these manga titles will offer a good read and an alternative insight into Pokemon
on 29 May 2015
I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO SEE THE TRUE STORY OF THE PROTAGONIST FOR THE FRANCHISE AND TO SEE WHAT THE CHARECTERS FROM KANTO WERE REALLY MEANT TO BE LIKE, THE ANIME ON TV IS A WATERED DOWN MORE CHILD FRIENDLY ITTERATION OF THE GAMES TO ENTICE THE YOUTH OF THE WORLD INTO ASKING THEIR MUM FOR A POKEMON GAME...

BUT THESE MANGAS ARE GREAT , THEY TAKE A MORE SERIOUS APPROACH AND THE SERIES , I THINK ITS VOL 1 TO 4 FOLLOW THE SORY OF THE PROTAGONIST RED FROM THE ORIGINAL GAMES RED AND BLUE NOT "YELLOW VERSION" WHICH OFC IS AN ADAPTION OF THE ANIME THROUGH THE RED/BLUE ROM AND UPDATES TO MAKE IT HARDER/NEW FRONTSPRITES IN BATTLE/VIA POKEDEX

I LOVE HOW RED GETS ONLY ONE OF THE INITIAL 3 , A BULBASAUR (WHICH FIRST TIME PLAYERS OF POKEMON ALWAYS ARE ADVISED TO CHOOSE AND WAS THE FIRST POKEMON I EVER OBTAINED MYSELF) , I LOVE EVEN MORE HOW RED IS DEPICTED TO HAVE ALREADY BEFRIENDED A POLIWHIRL AS A YOUNGESTER WHICH HAD ALREADY EVOLVVED FROM A POLIWAG A FEW YEARS BACK AND HOW EVEN BLUE(GREEN IN JAP) IS DEPICTED TO HAVE THE STARTER THAT HAS THE ADVANTAGE OVER REDS, YET THE WAY THE BEGGINNING PART GOES , ITS NTHING LIKE HOW IT IS IN THE ACTUAL GAME YET IT STIL MANAGES TO GET ALL THE MAIN POINTS OF WHAT HAPPENS INTO THE STORY ITSELF , INFACT I WISH THE GAME ITSELFS STORY WAS MORE LIKE THE MANGA STEP FOR STEP CAUSE THESE BOOOKS , WELL I JUST ORDERRED VOL 2 BUT WHAT I HAVE READ SO FAR , ITS AN AMAZING BOOK/MANGA , THE ART IS OUT OF THIS WORLD EPIC AND IT EVEN RREADS RIGHT TO LEFT LIKE A JAPANESE BOOK WOULD , IT WAS CONFUSING AT FIRST BUT AFTER A FEW CHAPTERS YOU GET THE HANG OF IT , ITS A GREAT PRICE TOO , THE OTHER VOLUMES ARE A COUPLE OF STERLING POUNDS MORE BUT IM SURE THEY ARE WORTH IT , I DID DO A LITTLE RESEARCH ON WHAT THE MANGAS WERE LIKE BEFORE I GOT THEM SO I KIND OF KNOW (AND OFC IF YOU LIKE ME HAVE ALL THE GEN1 GAMES/GEN2 GAMES )YOU WILL KNOW SORTA WHAT TO EXPECT....

BEST SERIES EVER IN MY OPINION

I AM 29 YEARS OLD( MY MUMS ACCOUNT , SHE BOUGHT THIS FOR ME) I STIL PLAY POKEMON RED/BLUE , AND MY BROTHER STIL PLAYS MY YELLOW VERSION AS HE AND ME NEVER HAD YELLOW AS CHILDREN JUST RED/BLUE TIL THEY GOT STOLEN ALONG WITH OUR GAMEBOYS BY BULLIES WHO LIVED IN THE NEIGHBOURHOOD SO I REBOUGHT THE SERIES OVER THE PAST 11 MOTHS AND GOT GOLD SILVER CRYSTAL ALL FROM AMAZON AND STIL AND MY OLD AGE I ENJOY THE GAMES , THE STORYS , AL THE TRAINING OF ALL THE HUNDREDS OF DIFRENT POKEMON , I EVEN HAVE SOME SPECIES 2 OR 3 TIMES OVER WITH SHINY VARIENTS AND DIFRENT LEVELS AND MOVESETS FROM COMPETING ON STADIUM1/2 N64 WITH TRANSFER PACK WHICH IS REALLY HARD SO I AM OF COURSE GOING TO LIKE THIS BUT FOR EVEN CASUAL POKEMON FANS OR PEOPLE WHO ARE ONLY NOW LOOKING AT THE FRANCHISE FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS BOOK IS A MUST BUY
on 16 October 2014
I received this volume of Pokémon Adventures for my 16th birthday. I was rather excited for it, as I've found a fairly recent love for manga comics and I'm a fan of the Pokémon franchise. I like the cover for the book as it is very cute and colourful, and I rather enjoyed the story too, as it is completely different from both the Anime series' and the video games. However, my concern with this book, and this will most likely go for the rest of the books in this series, is that I found the illustrations at times difficult to identify, as sometimes I wasn't really sure what was actually happening in the panel. But one of my biggest disappointments more than anything in the story was the characters. I've read a few 2 other manga collections both from the same franchise, and the character development in those series is beautiful. Each and every character has a personality unique to their own and whilst reading you become very attached and involved with the story, which I think is extremely important. I did not feel this in the Pokémon Adventures manga however. After reading it I do not feel like I actually know the character at all, apart from their names and that some of them dislike each other. Other issues I had was that I felt that the journey was rushed slightly, for example, Red was in Pallet (I think!) and then suddenly he was in a different town all together in the next chapter, having no idea how he got there. This may not be too much of an issue, but like I mentioned, I adore character development, and if the story was less rushed, it may have helped out a bit. I also feel that the re-readability may be lacking, but I'll ave to wait a while before I find that out for sure :) A good aspect that I really liked in the story was the final 2 chapters (Adventure 13+14), as I really liked going back to Lavender Town, and having another, different experience than in the Anime and the games.

If you are going to consider buying this book, it depends on wherever you're bothered about character and plot development as much as I am, but, if you're a Pokémon franchise fan, then I think this book will be a fun read! :)
on 22 July 2010
First of all, this manga does not follow the anime series. Ash Ketchum doesn't appear here at all.
Instead we follow Red from Pallet Town, as he sets out to become a great Pokémon trainer. He is very empathic with Pokémon and understands them well. The first two chapter is sort of reminiscent of the Pokemon chronicles episode "Journey to the Starting Line!". He sets out on the journey with a Poliwhirl from his early childhood and a Bulbasaur. On his way he also encounters Team Rocket.

This first volume follows Red's adventure as he goes to the cities of Pewter, Cerulean, Vermilion and Lavender. It's not too far from the events of the games Blue, Red, Yellow, LeafGreen and FireRed. Just like Ash was competing against Gary Oak, Red's rival is Blue, professor Oak's grandson.

I was a little afraid that i'd miss Ash in these books, but this series is just as good as the anime.

My only problem with this one is that at times it jumps ahead a little too quickly. I would've liked a lot more (but for those that just like a good adventure, this might not be an issue).
I'd love to see more details about how he encountered the different Pokémon, and I'd love to read a little special about how he came to find Poliwag, his first Pokémon.
The rest of this paragraph may contain slight SPOILERS.
I'd also like more of an explanation about what happened in Lavender Tower. How did the gas work? Who were the Pokémon? Were they the deceased Pokémon? Wild Pokémon? How did it work? That part didn't make much sense.
Also, I'd like to know if the Pokemon fan club master ever came to accept the Alakazam.
Also while he obviously beat Misty, I'd like to have seen the battle.
Just like Ash before him, Red uses Pikachu against Brock's Onix, which would never work.

Despite these objections, I really like this manga. Nice story, true to the Pokemon games and anime, and great fun! And you don't need to be a kid to enjoy it! I'm not ;) Lol, some of the things here would've made great additions in the games, like the bike race. It could've been a fun mini game.
I also liked the way the ym leaders were portrayed here, what they do when they're not in the gym.

Volumes 1-3 contains Red's story.
on 21 January 2013
Having read these comics as a kid, I'm so pleased they compiled a manga book editions rather than the short comics editions I used to read. This book has more comics in it than I even owned as a child and I was thrilled I could finally see how the story continued. A brilliant take on the pokemon universe.