Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 26 November 2008
I bought this book out of desparation of nothing else to read until the end of November. Expecting not to like it much I was pleasantly surprised when I did. The interplay between the two main characters was good, and so funny in places I actually chuckled to myself a couple of times. The female lead was good, I liked her, which is usually my pet hate with books. So much goes into the male characters, and the female characters are always the same, not so here! I liked that Annwyn had a personality all of her own, that she wasn't perfect, but she seemed more unique than most heroines to me. So all in all a really good read, and I shall definitely be getting the next one, out in Jan 09 :-) The sex in the book was also spicy without being over done, so well done G A Aiken.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 26 October 2008
"Dragon Actually" was initially released by Shelly Laurenston (aka G A Aiken) as an e-book entitled "To Challenge a Dragon", a book I tried unsuccessfully to get hold of after reading the absolutely fabulous paperback sequel "The Distressing Damsel" several years ago. Book 2 is also scheduled for re-release under a new title "About a Dragon" in Nov 08, although I note it will not be available from Amazon UK until Jan 09.

Annwyl the Bloody (a name she hates but one does end up covered in blood when beheading the enemy in battle) is out numbered and near death when she is rescued by a black dragon; Fearghus the Destroyer. Rather than toast her for breakfast, instead Fearghus displays a healthy interest in this female warrior who battles her tyrannical brother for his throne. Assuming a human form, Fearghus begins to train the already skilled Annwyl in the hopes she learns to control her formidable anger; however it matters not whether in his dragon or human form, Fearghus falls more deeply in love with his feisty human every day.

Annwyl in turn begins to feel disloyal to her wonderful black dragon when she becomes intimate with the Knight who trains her; unaware they are the same person. The Knight may tempt her body yet her heart belongs to Fearghus, however she is unable to admit her feelings. Fearghus in turn begins to worry exactly how angry Annwyl will be when he reveals the truth to her, yet he privately admits he loves the smell of her in a berserker rage. Who would guess that a mighty dragon known as the Destroyer would end up putty in the hands of a human female?

GAA has (re)written the kind of hot fantasy romance I absolutely adore. The action is fast paced as Annwyl faces her brother and his allies, there is an abundance of humour as she fearlessly stands her ground against Fearghus' large family (including his mother the Queen), there are plenty of characters I want to hear more from (namely Fearghus' dragon siblings) whilst the intimate encounters between the leading lovers are passionately red hot.

I also equally recommend the forthcoming reworked "About a Dragon", the story of Briec the Mighty (one of Fearghus' brothers) and his relationship with a long lived witch bound in service to a Goddess. Lastly "Dragon Actually" also contains "Chains and Flames" a 100 odd page novella describing how Fearghus' parents met and fell in love. This too is a fun, highly addictive scorching read and I am left sincerely hoping GAA will be releasing further "Dragon Kin" books.
on 4 January 2009
I found this in Borders Express and was blown away. Funny characters, good storyline - it also includes the prequel story about Rhiannon the Dragon Queen. The second in the series is equally good and full length (covers the story of the second Dragon brother but also links to this first - so best to read in order but can be read out of synch - also found in Borders- come on Amazon - why can't you sort out your US imports?
on 31 January 2009
I had never read anything by C.A. Aiken, and promised myself to try some new authors. So, seeing this title, I thought okay... why not.
I don't regret it for a second.
The book is great, the characters memorable and well written. Funny, too. The heroine is tough, without being overdone. *no pun intended*
The hero is a little bemused, not surprising, that this little creature stands up to the dragon.
I've just ordered the second one, About a Dragon, because I enjoyed the first one.
on 17 September 2012
I must start my review by saying is that I love paranormal romances(fairy tales for grown-ups), I love quirky, strong heroines who fight back, and I love Dragons. So this book was absolutely made for me!

OK, so there are some editing mishaps, and it's not the best written book ever, but I'm so glad I stuck with it. In this two part story we are introduced to Annwyl & Fearghus, and then a prequel about Fearghus's parents (Rhiannon & Bercelak). It also sets the opening for the world of the Dragon Kin. All I can say is that is does get better & better. [Spoiler Alert]

You don't have to read this story to get a good grounding of the Dragon Kin stories that are to follow, but it does a lovely job of "setting the scene". G A Aiken has created a world full of crazy humans and dragons- who just happen to like transforming into humans. The stories are all about the irritating things your family drive you to. It's also about how life gets in the way of other plans. The surreal behaviour of the heroes & heroines is extreme, but it's also very funny. I laughed, cringed and had to stop reading when on crowded trains & aeroplanes!

Please don't read this story if your looking for "great literature". Do read it to find out about the people of an amazing new world and what makes them tick. I found them crazy, funny and I wanted to know what happened next: that's a sign of a good book for me.

G. A. Aiken / Shelly Laurenston is one of my must read authors right now. I can grantee that at some point in her writing I will be curled up with laughter, or cringing with the characters as something goes horribly wrong. After re-reading this on my Kindle I still found myself giggling at the dialogue. A really good read, that does not take itself too seriously. More please!
You know how you sometimes need a palate cleanser? Something that is just going to be light hearted, funny and if we're completely honest a little on the ridiculous side? Well that's exactly what you're going to get if you pick up a copy of Dragon Actually, the first book in G.A. Aiken (AKA Shelly Laurenston) 's Dragon Kin series. It's full of sexy (and incredibly horny) dragons and kick ass warrior women who aren't afraid to take what they want. There are no blushing virgins or simpering, downtrodden women in this book, they are all fighters who give as good as they get when they come up against these very alpha males.

Annwyl the Bloody is a warrior princess who is raising an army to go up against her brother the king. She is determined to maker her brother pay for his sins and she's completely ruthless when it comes to achieving that goal earning her a reputation for beheading her enemies. When Annwyl is injured in battle she is rescued by a black dragon who takes her back to his cave and manages to heal her. Fearghus is also a fierce warrior but the dragons tend to keep to themselves and he has no interest in human wars. Where Annwyl's strength and determination have put men off in the past it is exactly what Fearghus finds so attractive about her and it isn't long before they are unable to resist the building attraction between them. Fearghus is keeping a big secret though, one that would normally make me really annoyed with a hero but in this case I just found it so funny watching things unfold that I forgot to be irritated with him. I loved these two, they have great chemistry and wicked banter but we also get to see a deeper friendship develop and I believed in them as a couple.

Dragon Actually also contains a bonus novella, Chains and Flames, that tells the story of how Fearghus's parents, Bercelak and Rhiannon, met and fell in love. I have to admit I wasn't sure I'd like Bercelak because he was a bit of a bastard in Dragon Actually but I ended up loving him from the very beginning of his story and it was Rhiannon who took a while to win me around. Rhiannon is a spoiled and pampered princess who is horrified when her mother tells her she must mate with low born Bercelak. She believes that she deserves so much better than him but when they are forced to spend time together she is surprised by how much they actually have in common. I think I ended up loving Bercelak even more than Fearghus, he's completely baddass and a well known warrior and he was also a Dom who made me a little weak at the knees.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed both of these stories and I can't wait to continue reading the series. The whole dragon family are completely crazy and so much fun to read about so I'm hoping that all of the siblings will get a book of their own (I deliberately haven't looked ahead to see whose stories have already been written) eventually. I love reading about sibling relationships, the way they tease each other mercilessly but will always have each other's backs when it comes down to it, and I'm hoping that we'll get a chance to keep up with previous couples as we're introduced to new ones.
on 14 May 2014
I love dragons and love reading about them so when I saw the introduction as "Just admit it. You've wondered what it would be like to have a boyfriend with wings and scales ... and a tail." I confess to being intrigued.

I bought it on a whim and have since bought 3 more books in the series so I guess you could say that I enjoyed them.

This book is firstly very funny so if you want your fantasy as dark and brooding (although that is how the rest of his family see Fearghus!) then maybe this isn't the book/series for you. It is also rather sweet in places and yet can also make you feel quite flushed as you read other parts!

So long as you don't expect too much of this book and take it for what it is, you will enjoy a light, funny, fast-paced, feisty book full of characters that you want to know more about.

"She'd never felt so safe before in her life. So at peace. She realized now there was no man alive who could ever make her feel this way. She smiled. Only I would fall in love with a dragon."
on 8 April 2014
What more could you want in a book ?....... not much as far as I'm concerned, a strong, independent, slightly crazy heroine, a sexy hero with enough arrogance for the universe and the ability to shift into a dragon, and a family that can take you from tears to laughter to toe-curling lust with the turn of a page.
I read this a while ago, quickly followed by the rest of the series already out, and eagerly await each new offering.
I would recommend this book, and the rest of the series to anyone (over a certain age !) Who wants something a little different to the usual damsel in distress/strong silent shifter book.
Each time I finish a book I miss the characters a little more.
on 9 October 2015
If you're looking for a literary classic, then look elsewhere. If you're after steamy sex scenes with a light easy read built around them, then this is a book you'll enjoy. Not Shelly Laurenston/G.A.Aikens best book but enjoyable none the less.
on 24 November 2012
I'm so pleased I discovered GA Aiken, this is a wonderful series of books and this is arguably the best one as she introduces a very fiery (if you'll pardon the pun) but lovable family of dragons and a world full of warriors and magic, my, it doesn't get much better than this. This book is full of romance and action, and not for the faint hearted - our heroine Annwyl the Bloody(!) is a warrior known for her skill at beheading after all, but her alternately gentle and raucous relationship with Fearghus the dragon (who don't worry IS able to appear in human form)is just great fun. There's lots of humour here as Aiken sets up a great opener for her Dragon Kin series.