on 29 August 2015
I came across Michael Robotham by picking up what I now realise to be the 3rd in the Joe O'loughlin series - which I enjoyed very much. I decided on the strength of that read, to search out this one, the first.
Although I enjoyed it, it was a bit of a slow burner, almost turgid at times, and had I not read 'Bleed for Me' already, I might have wavered halfway through, as he sometimes takes an eternity to explain or develop a passage, and you find yourself skipping paragraphs just to maintain momentum. However, I persevered, and although the characters I already know had a raw, under-developed feel to their later maturity, I was rewarded with the usual hooks and unexpected twists at the end - which seem to be a Robotham speciality.
If you are tempted to try this, it is (in my opinion) well worth the read, and the series (and characters) get better - even though you want to give Joe O'loughlin a good slap now and then, and tell him to go find a backbone!
2 people found this helpful
on 13 March 2004
I read this book last week and have been emailing friends ever since to make sure they grab a copy too. (The last time I felt this way about a book was Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - and I think that over the next few months The Suspect will achieve the same kind of success.) From the first page, you're drawn into O'Loughlin's life - and when his life is turned upside down, you'll find yourself hanging by your ankles too. After that, you'll be turning pages so fast you get friction burns. OK, there's the odd expression here and there that jars with O'Loughlin's supposed Anglo-Irishness (the writer is Australian) and some of the names are a bit off the wall, but hey, that's very small beer. Overall, the writing is so good, strong and beguiling that you're not just rivetted to your seat, you're positively nail-gunned. (And no, I'm not the author or publisher!!) I haven't seen this on the bestseller shelves yet (but it assuredly will be very soon) - I'll be watching this space closely to compare reviews.
38 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 11 August 2013
I first reviewed this book in 2013 having read it some time before that. I have now re-read it (in May 2014) as I want to read the rest in the series and as it was a while since I first read this one I wanted to re-acquaint myself with the characters and remember why I liked the book so much the first time around. Like it's main character this debut novel is not perfect, it is flawed but very likeable. The plot is at times far fetched and complex but is also easy to read and utterly compelling. I loved it! Can't wait to read more from this author.
on 10 February 2013
I read Shatter before this not realising that it was part of a series of books, I was reading the reviews after Shatter and noticed that some kind person listed the series in order, this is the first and what a first! I have written the books down in order now and am definately going to work my way through them, Michael Robotham keeps you interseted and winds it up a notch until you can't put it down. Can't wait to start the next one, trouble is life gets in the way!!
I'm definately going to recommend this series of books to my friends. Enjoy!
on 13 August 2012
The beginning is simply stunning, very good writing, great insights into the characters and their stories,the book had me hooked in a matter of a few pages. And it stayed that way for quite a while. But once Joe is suspected of Catherine's murder and has to go on the run the story became somewhat less believable which is why I gave it a four! As it is it still continued to interest me even though I wasn't as gripped as I had been before. All in all it was a good read and I will most definitely see what else Robotham has on offer!
on 3 May 2017
I have been addicted to crime thrillers for over 40 years: there are those that I bin after 10 pages, or 2 chapters...there are those whose authors I return to, book after book....but with Rowbotham, I read this book... bought 8 more from Amazon and read them one after another, without break...I think that that says it all!
One person found this helpful
on 12 January 2018
Love his books, first one I read was fairly recent, so going back to his earlier ones now, after reading 3 of his novels can't wait to read more
on 7 July 2013
An amazing book with twists and turns to keep you guessing until the end. The connections, different character focuses and plot are so intertwined and extremely clever you won't want to put this book down.
Can't wait the read another Michael Robotham, have already recommended it to six friends, three of which have already read it and agree that it is one of the best reads out there. Buy the book or download onto your electronic device - you won't be disappointed! I have done both, just in case a friend forgets to return my copy.
on 11 March 2018
hubby liked it.
on 12 May 2017
The book is an easy read but it took a little too long to get started with the main plot. Lots of details were being shared in the first few chapters and to be honest, I'm not sure if they were all needed.