on 1 June 2017
Not quite what I expected but it IS, after all, the diary of a teenage girl. More about her emotions than anything else. Found myself skipping through some of it. Still, we get a flavour of what it was like to be locked away from the world and still maintain your sanity and dignity in order to be safe. The family and their friends in the ''secret annexe' somehow managed to motivate themselves to keep going and remain mentally active despite the challenges they faced and that in itself is something that would have defeated many of us.
on 28 May 2017
Instant download and a sad story told by young girl on the verge of womanhood. Terrible trauma watching the attrocuties unfold in front of her and having to hide. But at the same time somehow managed to see goid in the things around her. Indeed a very special young lady. I brought this book after visiting the musuen in Amsterdam. So poignant, so very sad. So very nearly made it through, only to fall at the very end. No one will be able to read without a tear in their eyes
on 25 October 2015
After visiting Anne Frank's house in Amsterdam I had to read this book. What an intelligent and inquisitive soul. Brought me close to tears towards the end....this remarkable girl's story guides you to the wider message to imagine of all the unheard stories you didn't hear...and reminds us that something like the Holocaust can never happen again.
on 16 July 2015
Seventy years on I found Anne's Diary so sad and horrible to read - not her writing, I hasten to add, because I think she could have become an amazing journalist/writer had she not died so near to the end of WW2 and liberation.
Pouring out her teenage feelings into her Diary in those awful cramped conditions, herself and her family sharing with people they didn't know for over two years and all in vain broke my heart.
I read every word from cover to cover over a period of two weeks.
Being English it was a revelation for me to see the other side of this war coin, how they suffered so terribly over there, I had not thought about it from that point of view before. Now I must see for myself the Secret Annexe in Amsterdam asit is a preserved museum to remind us all of the
horrors of war.
on 8 May 2017
what an amazing true story, the diary of a young girl living amidst a time of pure evil and horror, and what a mind! she would of grown up to do wonderful things I'm sure, her intellegence startled me! an excellent read.
on 24 June 2017
We bought this before going to the museum in Amsterdam, our son loved reading about this inspiring young girl and the circumstances into which she became famous. It was originally a diary kept by Anne Frank while she was in hiding for two years with her family during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands. You will love it but feel sad as she talks through the daily struggles of Nazi occupation, constantly worried about being found in her hiding place. Great book!!
on 8 June 2017
I bought this because my granddaughter is doing this at school. It was a little complex in parts for her to understand but a good book and she will probably read it when she is older and more able to understand.
on 28 May 2017
What can I say? I think we all know about Anne Frank...good to read her account of the war, and being in hiding :/ shame there wasn't a happy ending for her
on 17 May 2015
What's there to write about a book that's been around for so long and sold in millions? That in itself is testimony to this incredible book.How fortunate we are that it survived at all for the rest of us to 'enjoy'.Sadly Anne didn't but her legacy lives on.Thankyou Anne,Miep and Otto for bringing it to our attention.
on 10 January 2017
It was very insightful and gave me a very informing on how it was for the people at that time. It was heartbreaking but informative.