on 21 March 2017
The book is great. Well I am sure it is but the book does have a stain down the front I did not expect, and has a sickly sweet smell to it. I am not reading it probably because of this. I am allergic to aspergillis (old book mold) and this may be a disguise, who knows.
If I had known this would be the case, I would have rather had a refund than a smelly stained book.
review image
on 19 April 2017
Unusual tale and i read it in a day. Entertaining without being heavy or intense. I had to look up grapheme!
on 9 April 2017
I was hoping they would all have an index like the "A Bundle of Laughs" however they are all very good value.
Thank you, J. John & Mark Stibbe.
Robert Daniell
on 9 June 2017
Excellent
on 21 October 2011
Witty and at the same time Orwellian linguistic tour de force that everyone who likes words should read. How many letters of the alphabet could you do without?
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 23 September 2015
I am so glad that this book exists - it absolutely appealed to my sense of humour and my love of words and it was written in the form of letters which I also adore. It is witty and clever with an interesting message about totalitarianism and tolerance which becomes stronger as you read.

This story is set on an imaginary island off the coast of America. Modern technological gadgets don't work here and the island is governed by a High Council who revere Nevin Nollop, the creator of the sentence "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" which contains all the letters of the alphabet. The reverence is such that when a letter falls from the sentence on Nollop's statue it is seen as a message that it should no longer be used. Punishment, up to and including banishment, awaits those who continue to use it but as the first letter to fall is "z" it isn't a big issue - but then others begin to fall and the populace is unable to avoid using forbidden letters.

The story is told in a series of letters from characters who are connected with our heroine Ella Minnow Pea (say it quickly - LMNOP !). As the book progresses and we are involved in the lives of these characters they have fewer and fewer letters to use and more and more words have to be substituted or creative spellings used. This is of huge delight to those of us who love the English language and I read some of the letters over and over again to get full value from what the author does to help his characters overcome the limitations.

The situation cannot continue but the High Council will only relent if another sentence can be found which is shorter than the original but still makes sense. The way in which this sentence is found is a joy (and a relief as the letters were beginning to get unreadable !).

Recommended for all those who love words - a short but delightfully enjoyable read
on 24 September 2012
Look carefully at that title and see if LMNOP comes to mind. Yes folks, this is a book about the letters of the alphabet and is a great read. A town whose most famous citizen created the phrase "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog". He's celebrated by those words rendered in tiles in the town centre. But one day a tile falls off and the local council takes it as a sign to ban use of that letter of the alphabet. The book is told in a series of letters between the principles narrating both the action and their feelings about developments.

Gradually more tiles fall and the alphabet cut further. The correspondence becomes a wonderful exploration of the variety of the English language. Because it's written in short notes, it's easy to read in sections such as while travelling. But towards the end I just wanted to read it and find out whether they ended up in a world without any words or whether they escape from the harsh punishments for transgression. There are elements of Farenheit 451 and 1984 in this story yet without the futuristic feel, it's way too easy to believe this could happen.
on 31 December 2002
I totally agree with the other review of this book. I just recieved it this Christmas and I've hardly put it down! It's so funny, but relevant too. Absolutely great book and I'm sure I'll use it loads working in Schools and Youth Groups bringing the Gospel to life.
on 19 July 2001
This is really a very delightfull book, full of a variety of stories, jokes and words of wisdom. It can be of great help to preachers and teachers who are looking for some "salt and pepper" for their sermons and lectures. But it is also very entertaining reading in itself, and can be recommended for those who are in need of being cheered up a bit.
on 22 January 2010
I bought this for my husband for Christmas, but ended up claiming it as mine, I couldn't put it down once I started reading.
Their is something in this book for everyone.
It is so funny in places.
really recommend for either a gift, or to have it on the coffee table to just pick up and dip into when you need a lift.
good christian book, not offensive at all but very thought provoking in places.