Customer reviews

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 12 December 2004
This is a realistic story set in the far north, both in an Eskimo village, and in the wild tundra. The story is about an Eskimo boy who has a vague sense of discontent. His father recommends that he go visit with an old Eskimo man, who is steeped in the "old" ways. Russel, the boy, ends up living with the old Eskimo man, learning the old ways, and dropping out of school. No one seems to mind because he is still learning valuable things. Eventually, the old man goes out on the ice to die, but first tells Russel to head to the Far North for about one year, to "find himself." He is alone most of that time, but toward the end, meets up with an Eskimo girl, who he saves. The book implies that in the future, she will be his wife. This is a coming-of-age story dealing with a boy's feelings about becoming competent as a man, and having confidence in his own abilities.
This author is well-aquainted with both modern and traditional Eskimo life, and really shows the reader both how it is now, and how it used to be. I am a teacher, and I recommend this book for anyone interested in Eskimo life, realistic stories of boy-against nature, or hunting and fishing activities. The boy's thoughts and feelings would make the book mostly of interest to age 12, to adult. Parts of this book reminded me of the book I read in 8th grade, back in the late 60's, entitled, "Nanook of the North," (now apparently out of print) except that Nanook was an adult, and this story is about a teenaged boy.
on 7 September 1996
An old man in the village encourages a boy to go out and
live the old ways. He gives him clothes and equipment,
which the boy uses. The old man dies, and the
boy is frightened and alone. Gradually, he learns
the old ways and how to survive in the wilderness,
and never wants to go back to the modern ways.
A really fantastic book!
on 9 May 1999
I feel that this is one of Pulsens best. It used amazing detail and makes you fell as if you are right there. This was a book I could not put down.
on 29 June 2001
Inspired by an Eskimo shaman, Russel takes a team of dogs and a sled to escapethe modern ways of his village and to find his own songof himself.
on 10 June 1999
I thing it was a pritty good book. I like adventure stories. That why I read Gary Pausen. All of his books or most of them are adventure. I do alot of hunting and fishing but, there is only two out of Twenty in my class! Maybe three!Most of my friends do. Since I hunt and fish I enjoyed reading books like that. I always get into books and visioulize it in my mind as if I'm going hunting. I kinda now hiw it feels to be hungryor somthing like that.When I'm in the woods you tend tobe hungry all the time because your moving alot. The most cool thing I thought was that Russel Actually hunted a Polar Bear! Even Though I like this book it draged on about him hunting. He also found a girl with a baby in her. But, I leard that even if you are by yourself you can manige to get food.
on 21 March 1999
I was a dissappointed with this book. After reading Hatchet, this book is horrible. It did have some good parts, but it was mostly boring. I think it talked a little to much about hunting. If you have a weak stomach don't read this book!!!!