Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 October 2015
I bought this for my grks,, thought I would read it first, glad I did, cannibals! and eating a loved one! not suitable for me, let alone children, imo.
on 24 October 2010
As it says above, our three characters we summoned to be guardians of Imaginarium Geographica (the most awesome book ever!). Of course except that, they need to save both our world and the world of Geographica. Cliche much but still the main thing from almost all the stories.

But what make the book different than the all the rest? Imaginarium Geographica of course! It's like the super atlas in a world with every classic fairytale or story we grew up (at least the ones were written at the certain period of time). Narnia, Lord Of The Rings, Peter Pan, Greek Mythology, Nemo, Dragons, King Arthur,Pandora's Box, Alice In Wonderland...can you imagine it? A world with all those wonderful worlds in it? It was so fun to read! I was smiling at most of the book and i was "ohh..that's totally Alice in Wonderland" or "Peter Pan! Ha!". It felt nostalgic to read it and remember all those fairytales.

It's been also said in the book, that all the previous guardians were the writers who wrote all the stories above and that they got inspired by this world.
I know what are you thinking now...if all the guardians were famous writers that means that our three main characters are oo? Yep! They are! I'm not gonna tell you who though...Their names was revealed at the very last page of the 1st book, so i want you to be surprised.

I'm totally into the series, though i have read only the first two books. And i also advice you to try them. It's a nice mixing! And the plot is pretty good. Not a tiresome book with its slow talking or fast action moments.
And it has dragons!Woot!
on 7 June 2008
Firstly, this is a great book. Based around three friends who are catapulted into another dimension, the story tells how they use a mystical map, called the 'Imaginarium Geographica', to navigate through the new world. The tale takes synchronicity to new limits. But hey, it works. I loved the slightly A C Doyle-like characters and the various races and monsters that fought to control the other world. I'm glad, though, that I did not read the synopsis on this site first. It would have spoiled the ending for me. Look away now and just press the 'buy now' button.
on 28 July 2016
All I can say is I love this book, I never get tired of it.

Owen is a master and on the final page everything comes together in a mindblowing culmination. This would be my most highly recommended book for teen readers, particularly younger readers who are into classics. Having a working knowledge of Verne and his ilk as well as Greek mythology is an advantage for this series - although particularly for this book it's not necessary and may open the doors for exploration down those paths. My husband utilised the dictionary feature on the Kindle App when he encountered a name he was not familiar with.
on 12 April 2015
The book was in very good condition so I am quite happy.
This reads like the book of a film script rather than a novel. There is little back story, the plot is full of gaping holes and leaps from action scene to action scene with little explanation and the dialogue is weak and plays a distinct second fiddle to a penchant for wild chases and explosions.

The pace is fast, almost relentless in fact, and you find yourself pulled along by the story which means that it covers its tracks reasonably well. It's only when you find yourself asking 'how did we get here?' and 'Why did that happen?' that you realise that it is fairly thin on substance.

The book is an odd mish mash of fact, fiction, myth and fantasy. It borrows freely from everywhere you care to look in literature. If you haven't read Conan Doyle, C.S. Lewis, Tolkien, H.G. Wells or Jules Verne you may miss a lot of the allusions. If you have you may find the borrowings clever, I just found them glib and annoying. I also thought the tone of the book was very uneven, see sawing between the blindingly obvious, the philosophically obtuse and some modern day humour which stood out like a sore thumb, such as the digs at editors for example.

A child might well find this exciting and fast paced, but unless they are a well read child they will miss layers of allusion, particularly concerning mythology and Genesis stories. An adult who can understand the allusions is probably going to be annoyed by the glaring holes in the story with characters wandering on and off 'set' for no apparent reason, little or no explanation given for certain actions or decisions and the excruciating dialogue which invariably adds nothing to the plot and goes nowhere and just seems to be there to fill in the holes between battles.

A poor book at almost every level. A shame it has such pretensions to grandeur.
on 13 December 2007
This book was absolutely fantastic! As soon as I finished it I wanted to read it again but couldn't due to my family members stealing it! Once I worked out who I thought the three characters were (2 out of 3 right) I would give myself a little pat on the back for each reference to their books I found! A brilliant book and totally original idea I just hope the second one is as good - it has a lot to live up to! This book is given pride of place on my bookcase!! I definately recommend this to all ages!
on 27 November 2015