Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 March 2010
MAY CONTAIN SOME HINTING SPOLIERS. SO BE CAREFULL READING :)

Review by: Molly aka Mrs. Furey aka Alex

Empire of Night is the fifth book in the riviting Vampirates series. It is by far the best one in the series so far! The story line weaves completely new dynamics into the characters and profoundly changes EVERYTHING! The book keeps the reader glued to it's pages through a fast and intense pace, intriguing one through every page. The plot itself is apsolutly brilliant, the main protagonists Grace and Conner go through changes that are completely life changing. Character development in this installment is also by far the greatest, people develop in ways that are infallibe. For example, Lorcan changes from his usual mysterious self and turns into someone who has opened himself up to the people he loves. Along with gaining some muscle!! (Team Lorcan) Along with Mr. Gorgous changing Johnny snuck back into the book as well, much to my horror. He is also one of those charactors who is a love hate relationship with most people. Overall, look forward to shocking story lines all over the place. I still need to catch my breath over it all.
After reading this book it gave me a new outlook on everything in the Vampirates world. The book was apsolutly amazing in my opinion, and I have to say that it will be really hard to wait for the next one! If u havn't read any of the books in this series I highly recommend u do so immediatly because it will change ur life like it did mine.
on 8 March 2010
This book begins with a significant development! Do not read further if you are worried about being spoiled! Short review: The book is fun and worth a read. (I pinched this sentence from Bookgeeks as I couldn't have worded it better myself.)

The fifth book in the infamous Vampirates series is a fast-paced story moving swiftly on from Lady Lola's beheading by her step-son, Connor, to see her up and about again, ready to cause more aggravation for the twins. Grace and Connor, still trying to come to terms with the fact that they are half-vampire, take on a dangerous mission and are forced to decide where their true loyalties lie. Stuckley and Johnny have more of a leading role in this novel and there's at least one surprise death.

Somper's talent for horror writing is ever more apparent in this part of the series, with one particularly gruesome scene. This is not unexpected, as vampires are blood-eaters after all, a fact that was not made obvious at first.

If you haven't read the other books in the series then do so, immediately, then read book 5 and quickly! I don't feel this can be read as a stand-alone due to the need to know the character's history. A fantastic part in a brilliant series.
on 30 April 2010
I've been a fan of this series since the first book, Demons of the Ocean, came out in 2005. Since then the release of each book has been a big event for me. And none more so than the release of this, the fifth book in the series, Empire of Night. It has everything a reader could want. Action. Blood. Humour in the right places. Description to die for. Romance. And above all, a brilliant plot.

Things really are changing in the series, thanks to the parenthood situation for Connor and Grace. This throws up some pretty exciting scenarios involving a hunger for blood.

Definitely recommend this book to everyone, boys and girls, of all ages! It sets the sixth and final book in the series up beautifully!
on 20 June 2010
I couldn't wait for the next installment of Vampirates to come out and hell I wasn't disappointed at all. I couldn't put the book down. What an excellent, excellent read. If you are a vampirate fan then don't hesitate to get your hands on this next adventure of the Tempest Twins. I loved it and can't wait for the next book so please, please get writing Mr. Somper!!
on 11 April 2010
This is a great series! The Empire of Nights continues the story of Grace and Conner and their journey within the world of Vampirates with twists and turns and lots of excitement. I won't give away any spoilers but this book is sure to impress the Vampirate fans. All my kids (5 of them) love to hear the story and are psyched about the next book to come.
on 8 May 2014
love it, the story of the journeys of the twins and how they have to be spy's but at the same time find out about the heritage and family stuck between mortals and immortals trying to find and understand them self's as individuals yet caught up in a war where their in the middle is great love the twist, turns and shocks can wait to read the last book :D
Empire of Night is the 5th book in the vampirates series so I'm going to assume that if you're reading this review you've already read the first 4 books, therefore although this review will be spoiler free for Empire of Night it will mention events from the earlier books. You have been warned! If you haven't started this series yet then I'd highly recommend getting hold of a copy of Demons of the Ocean asap.

I've mentioned in previous reviews how much I love this series but trust me the stakes have been raised in this installment and in my opinion it was the best book so far. After the revelations in Black Heart that Sidorio is the twins real father they are both dealing with this news in very different ways. Grace is more open to the idea, she has spent a lot more time with the Vampirates and is more accepting of them but Connor is horrified - this really is his worse nightmare. As both of them are given the task of spying on Sidorio (Connor for the Pirate Federation and Grace for the Nocturnals) they are forced to spend more time with him than either of them would have chosen to do. As they are drawn deeper into Sidorio's world you will probably find yourself shocked at some of their reactions but wow does it make for an interesting read.

What I love most about this series is the character development that not just Connor and Grace but also the other characters go through. Having the story told from so many different points of view allows Justin Somper to show events from multiple angles and he really is a master at weaving the various story lines together into an addictive read. The books are full of mini cliffhangers as the story switches to another plot line every chapter and this makes them practically impossible to put down. In Empire of Night I was shocked and horrified after reading the prologue but also completely hooked - I just HAD to know what was going to happen.

This story is somewhat darker than the earlier books but all the better for it. Good and evil can't be seen in black and white - each of the characters are an interesting shade of grey and even Sidorio has a nicer side which is something I never expected to say. I was on an emotional roller coaster for this one and I loved every minute of it (even if it did make me shed a tear or two!). I can't wait to read Immortal War, although I'll be sad to see the series end I have a feeling it's going to go out with a bang.
Fans of the series will have been running in the dead of night to get their hands on this, the fifth release in this Young Adult title. As you have come to expect by now these titles are must own books. The series not only has a depth to it but characters that grow, face choices and have to live with the consequences of their options. Mix into this that the reader has recently had the Darth Vader/Luke Skywalker Empire Strikes Back moment and you know that whatever Justin does is going to keep you glued to the last page. Beautifully written with panoramic mental scenery tied up with a top-notch story arc and it is a book that will keep the fans happy. Whilst you can dive in to the series here, I would advise against that and tell you to start at the beginning as this is becoming a standard to set YA Fiction by.
on 5 April 2010
This book is one of the best books in the series so far. I can't wait to find out what happens next. I just can't put these books down they are so addictive. I highly recommend this book, and all the other books, to everyone who wants to read a really thrilling series.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 March 2010
having to wait until this came out, seemed like a long time, it is as good as the others, and when you start to read it, forget the cleaning and going out, if you are like me, sit and read, can not put it down, get the next written quick, please.