on 1 September 2003
I never really believed in books saving your finances... well, I was completely wrong!
This practical guide should be handed out to all people entering the 'real' world. In my case, I started working 2 years ago and was still struggling to pay credit card bills let alone save money.
First of all this is a very easy and fun book to read. It starts with the basics of money management, controlling your expenses and establishing a budget. You then go on to savings methods, when to start investing and in what as well as a full explanation for all types of insurance, pension plans, mortgages etc. This really is a book you read once, then go through it in details as you go to each step, using the templates and advice
given.
Buying this book was probably the best purchase I've done for a long time. My financial situation is definitively on the right track, and I've just started two types of savings plans.
A basic money management book which will definitely change your life positively once and for all.
on 9 September 2003
Money matters is one of the most secretly kept facts in our society, and apart from the colourful ads from financial institutions, we dont get much of expert advice out there (unless you are willing to pay for it).
This book is an oasis! Nice little book with nice little tips to manage your finance. Apart from suggestions on how to get out the debt trap and get hold of your spending, author has also included valuable suggestions on how to go about saving, and even investing! Now, if you are looking for a hot tip on stock trading, you should look elsewhere, as all this book is offering is simple practical advice, that anyone can figure out themselves.
Thanks to Alvin for keeping it this simple and practical. Worth reading. And defenitly worth the money spend!
on 1 October 2003
I bought this book after recently getting married, having decided it was time to sort out our finances, and this book has been a godsend. It tells you the basics of dealing with debt, savings, investments, pensions and so on, which is great. But there are also quizzes and worksheets that really make you address issues like where you want to be in ten years time, what kind of lifestyle you want, and most importantly, how you might pay for it!
Alvin manages to get his message across firmly but without being patronising - if you liked the TV programme, you will find the book similar but more in-depth. I am going to buy copies for two of my friends- i don't want to lend them mine!!
on 21 May 2003
I had gotten myself into a few money troubles so an extra few pounds on a book to sort it all out was not going to make much difference. When I bought this book I was unsure how or if this book would work.
Well it did make a difference, but only if you are harsh with the rules. You have to be strict, otherwise you will fail. The book gives good and practical advice form saving to mortgages, investments and your everyday spending habit's.
For those of you who have seen the TV show well it's the same but with more practical advice and you are the star!
It's a well set out book with very good advice and ideas. It has helped me get back on track and it will help you!
on 2 October 2012
a must have book for anyone who needs to get a grip on their finances.Easily understood lightened by humour.highly recommended
on 29 June 2002
I found this an informative book which gave sound advice to anyone wishing to get their financial life in order. It is split into various chapters eg. property, savings, credit cards etc etc. Alvin Hall presents the text in a down to earth and understandable manner without being patronising. There is many tips to be found in this book which would be beneficial to anyone, regardless of how much salary/income you have coming in each month. It is about applying common sense, budgeting and having clear goals about what you want out of life. I bought one of Alvin's previous books "Money for Life" a while ago and thought it excellent also which is why I did not hesitate to buy this one. I was not disappointed!
on 14 August 2003
Alvin Hall captures your attention after the first few lines. I finished this book in two days and have implemented about eighty percent of its advice. This was about six months ago and have since cleared all my debt and am on the way to building up a nice nest egg. Alvin's style is so that you don't feel foolish but in that you want to help yourself. So many self help books belittle you, that if you don't stop reading them you'll only feel worse. Not so with Mr. Hall. He clearly and without shame lays out his past and explains how you too can make a difference to your quality of life. Highly recommended.
on 6 June 2002
This is the book which accompanied Alvin Hall's BBc series. He writes it in a similar style to the way he presented the series. It is laid out as a series of case-studies which track various different elements of personal finance and is a useful tool to help guide you in the right direction. He won't tell you what to do with your money, but he'll help you think more carefully about how you deal with it so that you can manage your finances more effectively. I think that although Alvin Hall does offer some sound advice, the general moral of the story is that if your awareness of your financial health is raised, you naturally think more carefully about what you spend your cash on.
on 8 May 2007
If I ever met Alvin I'd hug the man! I was stuck in some serious debt and after applying the principles and tools that his book sets you up with I will finally be debt free as of next summer! Then all of the money I've been putting toward my debt will be the start of my savings.

Highly recommended but it'll only work if you really want to make the change.
on 3 September 2002
This is a book aimed at those who are either in debt or struggle to get through each month.
Alvin spends a lot of time on (dare I say it) typical family situations, he spends a lot of time on spending and how your emotions can impact on your wallet, and measures to control them.
He spends a great deal of time on Debt particulary credit cards and mortgages in order to advise on controlled expenditure which on the whole is good straightforward advice.
This book is aimed at the financially illiterate, if you are an investor, this book will do little for you, however if you want to get a grip on your finances, control your expenses and above all live a life you can afford, then this book comes highly recommended.