on 20 December 2016
My baby is currently on the neonatal unit after being born at 24 weeks. The doctors sometimes say things, forgetting that I'm not a trained professional and this book has been invaluable for these instances, explaining it really clearly. I also like the parents point of view and then the doctors point of view.
on 14 September 2009
I gave birth to my twins at 27 weeks - totally unexpected, added to this we currently live in Prague in the Czech Republic. This book was my saviour. It explains all of the complicated medical language without being sensational or scary. It explains all the potential things that your premature baby may face in an informative way without blinding you with science. It has exerts from other parents who have faced the same things. Also it covers emotional issues that you may be facing - guilt at not being able to carry the baby full term etc. They have a question/answer section which really helps. It covers not only the time your baby is in hospital, but what happens if they need surgery, what to expect when you are told you can take them home, the first years and preschool.

I can not recommend this book highly enough. If you have a premature baby this is the only book you need.
on 29 April 2011
Having to go through the last 6 weeks with our premature baby (26weeks) has been extremely tough, some people like us may find that this book helps with the process.
We have read nearly all of it already....and have found it useful in understanding what doctors have told us, or preparing ourselves for what else we might expect. Would recommend to anyone who likes to be prepared with information, certainly beats surfing web for bits.
on 11 December 2001
Joshua was born at 32 weeks, and luckily did not have many of the complications that can occur with babies born this age and earlier. I needed a book to explain what to expect with his development..when would he smile, grasp objects etc..and how long would it take him to catch up. This book did answer a few of my questions..but the main bulk was irrelevant to me as Josh left hospital at 3 weeks. The book is very interesting and useful ..but I think aimed more at very premature babies. I now take the view that Josh will develop in his own way..as all babies, whether they are premature or not, are all different...
on 16 August 2014
This book saved me from a complete meltdown during the toughest weeks after the premature birth of my baby son Max. It provides honest answers to all the questions the parent of a premature baby is asking herself. Highly recommended!
on 28 September 2001
I wish I had found this book when my premmie baby was still in hospital, although it is extremely informative even now we are home. It covers all the 'what ifs' and most of the questions you'd like to ask the paediatric consultants. THe temptation is to read the whole thing but it really is better to focus on the chapters that relate to your baby and how they are going.
on 9 June 2016
My daughter was born 6 weeks early at 3lb 11oz and i needed advice about the best things to do for our daughter this book has amazing advice in
on 9 December 2016
We brought this book as reference guide when our son was born at 26 weeks. Both and I agreed not to google anything but decided to buy a good book that we could read at the appropriate time.
Looking back at our rollercoaster journey, I'm so pleased we brought it, yes, some of it is honest and a bit scary, but for us, we had to know the good and the bad.
It's well written, albeit American, but for information on PDA's, ROP, blood transfusion, what to expect when at home etc it's fantastic!
on 5 September 2014
For someone with no medical background this book was simply written and gave me a better understanding of what was happening to my baby. I could work through the sections which were relevant to my situation at my own pace. There didn't seem to be a lot of reading material out there which answered my questions but this was a godsend.
on 8 December 2016
Excellent book covering all questions and worries that parents have