on 11 October 2017
Looking through the other reviews posted here - and I seriously, SERIOUSLY can't understand all the terrible ratings. This was an absolute masterpiece.
Stunningly intelligent and so, so gripping. I couldn't get enough of this beautiful book.

The strength of a mothers love is so perfectly described here. A mother who takes the law into her own hands after hearing her five year old son had been sexually abused. Instinct before logic.

Stunning.
on 24 September 2015
The good news is this is standard JP - a good story, a good read, well written, etc etc I don't need to tell you.
I have two problems, one major and one minor, which cost it one star for me. I'll try to detail without spoiling it:
The major flaw is in the first crime which is committed. I don't believe such a thing could happen to such a person and for it to not be noticed and not affect the victim in a much more serious and pronounced way. I don't see how the physical aspect of the crime could be committed against this person without doing a lot of damage. This does not occur in the story and has to be teased out whereas in reality I think it would be obvious - the victim would suffer a lot more and not be able to hide it.
The minor flaw is that a character has to wear an electronic monitor on their ankle. It allows them to move up to 150 yards from the house. In the story the character rushes out into the drive and realises they have left the house which will trigger the monitor and gets upset, sitting down to wait for the police to arrive. But they won't because the person is nowhere near 150 yards from the house. Not a big deal but shows poor attention to detail.
In summary this is worth reading if you can get over the major flaw.
on 25 March 2008
Nobody knows what our reaction would be should something terrible happen to us or to someone we truly love. When life seems to be going well but a sudden, terrible blow comes unexpectedly, there is no way to fathom, no way to know, not even for the most predictable and reliable human being. Ms. Picoult's book `Perfect Match' explores, from different points of views, exactly that.

When Nathaniel's parents realise that he has been repeatedly sexually abused by a trustworthy person, his Mum, Nina, breaks down in every sense of the word. Knowing fully well, due to her line of work and experience -she is a prosecutor-, that the (American) justice system will somehow fail her son and that the perpetrator will most likely get off the hook (or pay very little compared to the damage he has done to little Nathaniel), she decides to take matters into her own hands, thus eradicating the boundaries between her professional and personal life. This act obviously leads to a court case, one that places Nina on the other side of the bench. Was she justified to act as she did? Was she right? Was she wrong? How does all that follows affect her and the people she loves most, her son, her husband, and all her friends and colleagues?
Everything is seen through different perspectives. But how will it end?

As usual, Ms. Picoult's choice of subject is thought-provoking and uncomfortable thoughts linger on. Personally, I think that some characters in this book were not that plausible even though the narrative flows effortlessly and in some way, this book is a page-turner. However, there was `something' in it that did not quite strike the right chord for me, more specifically toward the end, hence the 3 star vote.
One person found this helpful
on 11 November 2014
I have read a number of Jodi's books now and most of them I would give 4 or 5 stars but this one, although at times a real page turner, I can't say the same. I really enjoy the twists and turns of her style of writing leaving you guessing but in all of her other novels I have felt the outcome realistic and believable. Maybe it's because our legal system would not have reached the same outcome. I think we always want a happy outcome but it has to be believable too when dealing with a subject such as this.
on 1 October 2006
This was my introduction to this author, but i have since read 'My Sister's Keeper'. The two books deal in very different ways with the lengths a mother will go to to protect her child, Jodi Picoult tackles difficult issues so convincingly that the characters seem very real, like people I know. She evokes in heartrending fashion the poignancy of motherly love, and how a mother would feel if her child was molested.

Yes, Nina was infuriating at times, and her reaction extreme - but it was entirely understandable given her conviction that the law would fail her son.

I thought this was an excellent read and would certainly recommend it.
on 10 July 2013
Brilliant book, I love her stories and I enjoy the courtroom theme. Her characters are loveable, thrilling, frustrating, full of emotions and completely believable. Sometimes I'd love to be one of those characters and I'd definitely love to have Jodi Picoults talent of writing a fabulous story.

My biggest decision I have to make now is which book of Jodi's I read next.

KARRIE.
on 6 May 2014
Not many books capture my attention to the point that I can't them down but this one did. I devoured the facts about DNA and the twist that came because of a bone marrow transplant.
This mother did what any true mother would do. We become lionnesses when someone hurts our cubs. The power of true love. It puts others before ourselves. Well written once again. I'm a fan for life.
on 31 July 2015
I have read 5 Jodi Picoult books which have been excellent, unfortunately this one was pretty bad in my opinion. The characters did not seem believable, there wasn't enough substance to them to really feel you knew them. The action happened really early in the story so the court room drama stretched out for so long it became boring and I found myself thinking I know longer cared what the ending was.
There is a vibe coming across in the book that if you're a mother you are justified in doing anything to protect your child, I disagree with this sentiment. A big disappointment.
on 13 December 2014
I had heard amazing reviews about the author so i tried it.. and i loved it! I didnt realise a twist was going to come so soon. It was remarkable, really emotional, gripping, some pages i actually turned away so they were so real. Very impressed.
on 17 January 2017