Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle George Michael - MTV Replugged Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now

Customer reviews

A Rush of Wings
Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 October 2008
A Rush of Wings follows F.B.I. special agent Heather Wallace as she pursues a serial killer across the country. The trail has brought her to New Orleans, Club Hell and the rock musician Dante - a man who claims to be a vampire. Heather believes Dante to be the killer's next victim, but the situation is so much more complicated than she could have imagined. As she tries to unravel the truth about Dante, she comes to realize she's just one small pawn in a much bigger game. Dante's past holds the key to everything, but the cost of him remembering may be more than she wants to pay.

A Rush of Wings is very much urban fantasy. It has vampires that are vampires, not angsty, sighing by the moonlit window guys and gals, these are the real, rip your throat out without breaking a sweat, deal.

The story has a multi-stranded plot which slowly comes together as the destinies of all the characters collide. Heather is torn between wanting to protect Dante - who in a nice change from the usual vampire novel is only 23 and several years younger than her - and acknowledging that she may need protecting from him. Heather is a strong heroine, she doesn't fall apart when she finds out about this other world that lives alongside our own, but neither does she meekly accept it either.

Dante himself is a tortured hero. A victim of horrific abuse, he has a past he can't remember, and unfortunately seems to bring pain to those closest to him. Only half-vampire he has a power that he can't control and which, if he's not careful will bring him even more unwanted attention.

I loved the contrast and similarity between Heather and Dante. Heather who believes promises are made to be kept, not broken, but she knows that sometimes that's not possible. Dante who never lies, and who can't forgive those who lie to him. As you read the story, it's almost inevitable that they'll come together, but the question of whether they'll be able to stay together has yet to be answered.

A couple of nitpicks. To begin with I was having a slight problem keeping track of who was doing what among the large cast of characters. After I got into the rhythm of the book and finally got Simone and Silver straight in my head, I was okay. What made it easier was the fact that the major characters are so well drawn.

The cover - I'm not sure if at any point Heather wears a leather bustier and mini-skirt. In fact her default mode of dress seemed to be trench coat. (I know authors have little control over their covers but I'm mentioning it, just in case anyone was put off by the chick on the cover.)

And I didn't immediately cotton onto the fact that this is set slightly in the future. There are a couple of technological things that went over my head because I assumed that the book was set in the present. It's not until near the end of the book that I finally put two and two together and work out we're not quite in Kansas any more.

However, overall I very much enjoyed the story and this is another series that I will be following.

Book 2 - In The Blood (Jan 2009)
on 15 February 2008
Having read a lot of paranormal and vampire fiction I am always on the lookout for something new and believe me this is very new and very different from a lot of the books out there.
From page one the author grabs you and compells you to ride her paranormal rollercoaster only stopping to let you off at the last page. Set in the backdrop of New Orleans this story tells of murder, betrayal, hidden experiments, vampires, fallen angels, goths, rock bands, love and friendship. For the first in an unnamed series I was very impressed with Adrian's book, fast paced and dark urban fantasy.
The book also contained a glossary for those of us who don't remember much french from school.
on 30 May 2010
Reading A Rush Of Wings is like riding the biggest and fastest roller coaster in the world:you know you want out from the moment you get on,you're constantly terrified,million emotions and thoughts go through your heart and brain,but you know deep down that in the end you're gonna completely and full heartedly enjoy it.

Phoenix managed to create a world with a little bit of everything in it.So you've got vampires, fallen angels, psychotic serial killers,secret government organizations all wrapped up into one novel.Her characters are very well and carefully developed, all their actions,however cruel and despicable,justified and without a hint of remorse.Except maybe Heather's character, which was the most obscure and not as well defined as the others, in my opinion.Also a minor flaw was the books length, I felt it got a tiny bit tiring at some points.

However, to say the story is unique, would be a huge understatement.Simply because this is not your average,everyday Urban Fantasy novel.It contains elements of a thriller novel, a horror novel, a romance novel,all fitted together perfectly,forming one of the most intriguing and compelling novels of all these genres combined.It's scary, it's dark, it's mysterious, it's funny,it's intense,it's passionate,it's moving.This book has it all.Highly recommend it.

One useful tip:if you feel completely lost at first, it's completely understandable.I know I did!Don't let that stop you from finishing the book, though.Everything is made perfectly clear after the first half of the book.
on 29 March 2008
I stumbled across this book in my local Waterstones while I was looking at the paranormal romance section and it was initially the cover that caught my eye, it looks sexy and exciting and made me want to see what the book was about!
After reading the back, I knew I had to buy it! It appealed to my love of all things dark and mysterious/vamp/goth/music and it will you too!
In the lead characters Adrian Phoenix has created two real people who you really feel for and believe in, and in one case, I totally fell for!
This isn`t just a paranormal romance, this is a paranormal thriller and had me on the edge of my seat from page 1, I literally couldn`t put it down and was gutted when I finished it.
Buy this book, you will NOT be dissapointed and Adrian Phoenix is amazing, I know I have discovered one of the best authors in her genre!
on 15 November 2010
The main character Heather Wallace is likeable but still seemed kind of flat to me. The fact that Dante seemed to see her as a saviour seemed sudden, although at the end of the book, the reason for this is explained.
But enough with the bad because after a rough start I started to love this book.
First of all: I loved the originality. Second of all: this book is intense! In every way. I had a hard time putting the book down. The atmosphere of the book, Dante's horrific past: it literally grabs you by the throat.
I loved reading from the point of views of Dante and Lucien de Noir but seeing the world through S' eyes was truly exhilarating.
The way the mystery surrounding Dante is unravelled shows Phoenix' writing quality. She is very good in writing an interesting plot with a lot of action and excitement. She also manages to draw you to most characters. As a reader you can't help feeling sorry for Dante and your maternal instinct kicks in and you just want the take the boy home and take care of him.
There are two more books in the series
VINE VOICEon 21 December 2009
One of my friends read this book last year and raved about how good it was. We decided to read it in our book group and it was really very good. It has a little bit of vampire, a little bit of serial killer, a little bit of FBI/police procedural, and a little bit of something else. Oh and of course a little bit of romance. Don't be put off by the cover because no one in the book looks like that. Heather, one of the main characters and FBI agent at no time gets dressed up like that but I guess they are trying to appeal to a certain market. With the book group we then moved on to the second book In The Bloodand were lucky enough to have the author join us for the discussion and questions. We will also be discussing the third book Beneath the Skin: Book Three of the Maker's Songnext month! And the author also has a new young adult book due mid 2010 Black Dust Mambo which I'm really looking forward to.
on 4 June 2009
This is the first in a new urban fantasy/murder mystery series.

It features Heather Wallace an FBI agent who is tracking a vicious serial killer. During the course of her investigation she encounters Dante a young, hypnotic but rebellious vampire with a tortured psych.

The killer seems to be connected to Dante but the mystery is how and why rather than who.

The book is well written, the main characters interesting and complex. However, I did not give it 5 stars because it is quite a grim book covering torture, murder, child abuse and mental illness. Even the romance gives only transient happiness to the characters.

The story is self contained with most of the threads being tied up at the end but there are areas that can be developed in subsequent books.

All in all a good start to the series particularly if you like darker tales.
on 4 November 2014
Mixed feelings about this book. It started off well but as the plot progressed it just became a mess of ideas! Didn't get the relationship between Heather and Dante.....she, a 30 year old professional woman. Dante, a young brat of a rock star! How did they ever fall for each other. De Noir was interesting but I did get confused with the use of multiple names for the same character. I do appreciate that a fantasy book has to extend the imagination.....but the story does have to be plausible......this must be one of the first vampire books that I have come across where they don't
even bother to protect themselves when they sleep......come on!!! Much better stories out there. I'd give this one a miss!
on 6 January 2010
One of the best vampire romance books I've read for a long time- if you love J.R. Ward books, you'll love this. Very strong characters and plot. Fantastic for any fan of the paranormal!
VINE VOICEon 1 December 2009
This novel has some quite nasty bits to it, and as another reviewer mentions, is pretty blood drenched. It reminded me of some of the serial killer-detective novels now around that dwell lovingly on the horrors carried out on innocent victims, and while other authors in the urban fantasy world have nasty things happening, they're maybe not so lovingly explicit. There is a graphic torture scene, carried out on an immortal by someone who knows he's immortal, so can't die whatever is done to him (more or less), and there are descriptions of what the serial killer has done that go a bit far for my liking.
The underlying human story - of two people from very different backgrounds and species coming together - didn't gel for me. I got no feeling that these two felt anything deeper than a passing lust for each other - especially on his side. The "hero" is a seriously tortured soul with a dire past and multitudinous problems to overcome, and he certainly doesn't endear on the first meeting. Our heroine starts interestingly but I didn't find myself rooting for her, or caring what happened to her.
This author has created a potentially interesting world that leaves a lot unexplained, which is a shame. Will I bother with the sequel? Maybe. Is it worth reading? Probably, but recognise that this is maybe more for the boys, given the focus on things dark and nasty rather than emotional.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse