Format: Hardcover|Change

on 3 February 2013
I love this book. I've gotten it a few days ago and I've already learned new things. The author explains things as clearly as possible, and you've got pictures to go with the explanation.

I consider myself an intermediate knitter and I think there is something for everyone in this book, whether you're a beginner, intermediate or advanced knitter. She encourages you to browse each chapter for explanations on various subjects, and I strongly recommend you do so, because the author really addresses almost everything you might think of about knitting.

It is quite a heavy book so you won't be able to carry it around easily, but this just means there is a lot of information inside. Think of it as a knitting bible and you get a sense of what it's in there.

the only way I can think of to make this book even better would be to add a DVD or CD-ROM to further explain some notions visually. However, as is, this book is a must-have for any knitter.
on 23 April 2012
Read the rave reviews. It is useful to have a reference book but I don't think it is all that easy to understand and it is not grouped so I can easily use it to progress through a garment. I was expecting more on invisible increasing and decreasing and so far I keep reverting to U Tube video clips. Maybe it is a book I will grow into? For anyone interested in knitting though it is a good addition to a book shelf.
on 16 December 2013
If you want to learn to knit, then this isn't the best book for you to start with, but if you're already a knitter (even an 'expert') who wants to be able to refer to in-depth information about anything and everything to do with knitting techniques then this book is a superb reference.

I started knitting a couple of years ago and now write a knitting blog and design patterns so I thought I was getting to grips with my subject.... until I got a copy of this book from a friend. Just looking at the size of it made me realise that my knowledge barely scratches the surface of all there is to know and TPoK is now my go-to for anything I want to check or learn about. It's absolutely ENORMOUS so despite having a hard copy on the shelf, I invested in the Kindle version a few months ago and it's been used so much already - it's easy to search and is in my pocket at all times on my phone or on my iPad/kindle, even when I don't have the huge hardback to hand. I have literally found everything I could dream of wanting to know in there. A few times I've guessed there must be a way of doing something, but didn't know the terminology which can make finding things a little harder, thankfully the way the book is organised (by topic) I can find what I'm looking for by reading through the relevant chapter, even if I don't know the correct terms.

It's too big to read cover-to-cover (for me, anyway) but is the perfect reference book.
on 25 January 2013
I'll be honest and say right now that I haven't "read" this book but, to be fair, it isn't the type of book you "read". Itis, in fact, the fattest, thickest book I've seen for many years and absolutely stuffed full of all the knitting methods, cast-on's/off's, stitching advice etc etc etc. It is the most amazing resource for anyone interest in knitting - I am an adventurous, creative knitter whose goal sometimes doesn't tie in neatly with my knowledge (!!) so this is ideal - a real bookshelf book that I can come back to time and time again to make sure I'm getting it right.

A really really experienced knitter may not need an encyclopedic book like this (although I am firmly in the camp that believes we are always learning and should never think we have no further need to educate ourselves) but the beginner (don't be daunted by the size of this book) and the intermediate should find they are using this book for all their knitting questions.
on 29 May 2013
The book is what I expected. The only thing I miss is more drawings and illustrations. Despite the number of pages, some subjects could go deeper. It's a common problem of general books, even this size. Perhaps I would leave out the knitting patterns (which are covered by many specialized books) and add more visual material, cast ons, increases etc. In spite of this, the amount of information the books contains is rare to get and it really is an incredible resource on knitting.
on 31 March 2014
The title says it all, Anything you ever needed to know about knitting, which seam to use, which cast off, which cast on for that matter, it is all here in this beautiful book. A large book and there are no patterns in this book. A book for particular uses when and as you need to know
on 11 January 2013
It answers a lot of questions, and introduces new techniques, and I have been knitting for 70 years, so I have found new skills to learn
on 13 October 2013
I am quite an experienced knitter so I dip in and out of this for techniques I need to brush up on or for when I want to try something new so five stars because it meets my needs. However, this would be quite tricky for a new knitter and might be something to keep for later - if you are not familiar with various knitting terms etc. it might be a bit soon for this book.

Also, you have to concentrate to get some of the detail but I think that's the way with some of the complex knitting techniques - I couldn't mark it down for requiring effort!
on 30 April 2012
Great reference book, everything you need to know about knitting. This book is an american publication but same principles apply.
on 10 August 2015
So happy I've bought this! It has so much information about knitting. Was a lot bigger than I thought and a lot thicker, as in over exceeding my expectations. Really recommend you get this as it will really help you with your knitting.