on 23 June 2013
The country here is Herefordshire, one of the more genuinely rural areas - commuting to London is not a possibility. There are lots of amusing anecdotes as the writer discovers how wise and smart the peasants are and how much he had to learn to survive. He can be rather coarse but no doubt that is inevitable amongst the lanes and byways of life closer to nature than in London's .streets.. He strives not to sound the civilised Southerner but occasionally his background shows. If it puts off other would be emigrants to rural England - many townees will count their blessings I'm sure- then I hope the book sells widely.
on 9 September 2014
Absolutely self effacing and blabbering on about himself and his London crowd - get me a blanket so I can put it over my head, rather than read this book. Can't be bothered to say anything else, apart from 'how did he get a book deal?'

Simon Dawson is the best author about 'moving to the country' without the pompous I'm surviving in the country with a huge salary to help me out whilst doing up a mansion. Boring boring boring.
|55 Comments|Report abuse
on 29 September 2009
I didn't find this book quite as amusing as Brian Viner's previous book. He tends to repeat things and sentences along the lines of 'we all laughed till our sides split over this one...' tend to be too controllingfor me (a bit like 'cue laughter' But if you haven't read the first book then you'll enjoy this one.
One person found this helpful
on 6 June 2016
Enjoyable read
on 3 September 2016
Enjoyed it.
on 21 February 2015
Great book would enjoy a pint with Brian
on 16 January 2016
on 24 December 2012
People who enjoyed 'Tales of the Country' will love this. I can' wait to read more of Brian Viner's experiences in Docklow.
One person found this helpful
on 16 March 2015
"Applying a razor blade to one's scrotum is not a job anyone should do in a hurry." - from THE PHEASANTS' REVOLT, author Brian Viner on preparing for his vasectomy

"... my own proficiency in the fields around our house did not extend much beyond the ability to step over cowpats." - author Brian Viner, from THE PHEASANTS' REVOLT

"... there was a story in the press claiming that Britain's farmers were being forced to throw away as much as third of their fruit and veg, because supermarkets wanted it cosmetically perfect. My rocket would scarcely have got into the Tesco car park." - home-gardener Brian Viner, from THE PHEASANTS' REVOLT

Back in 2004, Brian Viner, wife Jane, and kids made the move from North London to Docklow, North Herefordshire and bought a country manor house in what Brian describes as the least populated rural spot in England. Viner describes the transition in his 2005 book, Tales of the Country.

Now, it's two years later and Brian, in THE PHEASANTS' REVOLT, has accumulated a sufficient number of stories about country living to produce another book.

The strengths of the author's writing style are his self-deprecating humor and the wide variety of topics he examines. Indeed, his approach to the subject matter is almost stream-of-consciousness wandering. Even within a chapter, ostensibly devoted to a particular theme or two, he takes off on tangents - and sometimes tangents off tangents. Ok, ok, he tends to natter-on. But I don't mean that unkindly.

Whether he's describing the closing of the fourteenth-best restaurant in the world in nearby Ludlow, or the awful time when the family's golden retriever ravages a neighbor's sheep flock, or the experience of raising chickens, or getting the roof of the manor house repaired, Brian is the epitome of a charming storyteller if there ever was one.

Brian and Jane rent a couple of holiday cottages attached to their manor house. You'll find it on the Web if you search "Docklow Manor." If I was still young and single with the freedom to travel that I had back in the day, I'd book several nights just to experience what I assume would be a most congenial and entertaining host.
on 29 January 2009
The follow up to his earlier tome on leaving Crouch End for Leominster area, this is a very engaging and amusing book. I don't think I have read such a consistently funny book which I can relate to for years.
Some of the tangents BV heads off in are a great complement to the book; several made my laugh out loud on the train (and we all know how embarrassing that is..the more you suppress it, the worse it gets).
Unusually for me I read over 100 pages in one (late) evening, such was its page-turnability. A book to enjoy.
6 people found this helpful