Customer reviews

on 22 March 2008
I have read most of Ms London's historical romance novels and I particularly enjoyed the dangerous gentleman and the books which followed including devils love etc, I also very much enjoyed the first in this series the hazards of hunting a duke.

Unfortunately I was disappointed by this book as from the outset it was hard to understand the logic which would have permitted the heroine to go travelling by herself through Wales, especially when her cousin had married a marquis who was due to inherit a duckdom. The whole plot suffered from the fact that it was unbelievable from the word go. I found it highly unlikely that the heroine would have been allowed to embark on her travels in the first place; that she would have fallen for the ignominious chap that she was travelling with; and that she would have lost her entire morale compass so quickly, especially upon meeting the so called hero. The use of the name 'Prince' for the hero also anoyed me as he was not a prince but an Earl. Further had be actually been a prince the correct form of address was 'your highness' and not simply prince.

I am aware that there is a current trend amongst romance writers to indicate that the heroine is so independent and 'modern' that she will avail of sex before marriage anywhere and anytime, but I do not find this attractive and given the historical background it is highly unrealistic, especially given the risks involved for a woman at the time both in terms of pregnancy and total social ruin, the effects of which where extremly serious, and which appear to be downplayed in this and other novels. None of these factors occur to the heroine in a realistic manner and nor does 19th C morality appear to impinge in any way. This was an overt feature of this novel but also of a number of recent romance novels I have read and I really hope that this trend does not continue and would urge the writers to try and approach a historical novel in a more genuinely historically acurate manner.

Not a keeper.
2 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 22 July 2007
I went to uni in Wales and this brought back memories :) In general, the storyline is quite simple; orphan girl on the brink of being married off to the first person who asks for her hand decides to go off & find a distant relative who she thinks has some money which belongs to her. This happens to be the Prince of Powys- dark, moody character who was taunted for his size & 'ugliness'. He refuses to believe her without proof & keeps her locked up in his mansion while waiting for proof to come. Mmm..
^-^ As I mentioned before, typical storyline, but Ms London's writing kept me engrossed throughout the story. I wanted to know what happens next to the characters. I couldn't say if the setting is believable, but then who reads romances for nitty gritty real-life settings? The spicy parts are spicy, the sweet parts sweet. A good read to escape reality for a bit.. also come as part of a trilogy, so for those who likes sets, this can be added to your collection.
7 people found this helpful