VINE VOICEon 12 July 2017
I am enjoying this series. But the set would have been much better as 6 or 7. The writers decided on 12 books (nice number) but lack the writing ability tor make that work.

Continuity is often a problem: substories which have been dragging on simply peter out without an obvious conclusion. In this book, there are many pages dealing with exploits in Greece, and episode which was getting a bit tedious. Then all of a sudden, the book moved on to a new subplot. What happened?

Another issue is how crucial aspects are ignored. A million Christians are holed up in the ancient city of Petra. I haven't visited the site, but I doubt such a large number would fit. They are sustained by abundant springwater and by mana - nice touch. But there is no mention of bathroom (toilet) facilities. That would be a hige issue after a single day.

Still, we follow the characters through the Tribulation and feel for them. Particularly are the scenes involving the Antichrist who by now is showing his true colours as the world descends into chaos. Yes, the books could have been so much better, but they are stil la great effort, and a great set of books to read.
on 12 March 2017
Once I started reading, I found it really hard to stop!
on 14 May 2017
Personally I find I get bogged down in the darkness of it all. I find it an effort to read
on 16 July 2002
I have never been a very religious person but have to admit that this series really makes you stop and think. I have to admit that I was sorely disappointed with book 9's abandonment of everything I had liked about the series' preceding volumes. All of a sudden, every single character sounded the same; they made the same kind of wisecracks even in the most stressful apocalyptic situations -- archangel appearances, oceans turned to blood. Everything went too fast. Nothing was described -- just dialogue, action narrative in a somewhat-stilted style.
The Remnant, the cast of viewpoint characters grows even more, and half of the thing is devoted to the (attempted) rescue of one believer hostage. But still, everything is much better. The book does begin somewhat predictably. After all, if all these millions of people are trapped in the canyon-walled ancient city with no hope at all, no way out except by a miracle, what do you think is going to happen? Probably a miracle. Noteworthy, though, to "secular" readers: don't think the authors "cheat" with miracles. This book has more of the miraculous than any of the previous. When freshwater rivers turn to blood, we see them ... we know what people are wearing, what their hair and skin looks like ... we "feel" the heat from the scorching Fourth Vial Judgment. The author(s) actually use italics, capital letters -- the narrative gets excited about things. When people die, you feel the hurt this time. It seems that the end is nearing I only hope that the authors do not try to milk to story to much and make this, though I enjoy it, a 12 or 14 book series.
Also Recommended: The Price of Immortality is a must read! I HIGHLY Recommend it!
This book picks up exactly where the last one ended. Carpathia has just dropped two bombs on Petra, where a million believers, including Rayford, have gone to take refuge during the second half of the tribulation. Chloe, Hannah, and Mac have just arrived in Greece to rescue George from the GC forces. But things don't go smoothly. The GC has begun to figure things out, and no one is safe anymore. Can the Trib Force continue to witness and help their brothers and sisters while remaining safe?
This book starts with a bang, literally. The suspense is tight for the first half, as characters are constantly in danger. But then the pace lags. The second half isn't nearly as well plotted or exciting as the first. I was disappointed by the lack of development that happened here. Still, fans will want to keep reading to find out what happens next to their favorite characters. I know I did.
The problems of poor writing and cardboardish characters continue to plague this book. Still, it's diverting and fans of the series will find it worth their time. Non-fans of the series will want to steer clear of the book since there's nothing here to change their minds.
on 24 February 2003
I got this book on Thursday morning, I just couldn't put it down and had finished it in less than a day.
As with the previous books in this series, the authors keep you reading and get you involved with the characters. Although I know its only fiction, I catch myself thinking "Isn't God amazing, how He's looking after His people through all this" it just seems so real.
Though this is now the tenth book in the series, and the formula remains the same; somehow (though you may be able to guess the overall picture) you never guess the details, you don't know whats coming next or who will survive. The way the bible prophesies have been interpreted here, is as in the previous books very clever, and certainly not what you might expect - although when you think about it you wonder why not.
All I can say is, as with the other 9 books, this is a must read.
The series is fantastic - as a christian I love it, but it is just as good for those aren't.
on 7 October 2007
This the tenth book in the Left Behind series kept me turning pages. This book is actually filled with action. Though the characters are still two dimensional, the writing very simple, and the text font large. It was a page-turner and the best book of this series so far. The first have of this book is suspenseful. But is not carried through to the end.

We begin with the attack on Petra, two large bombs and a nuclear missile. Which explodes with great conflagration, but does not harm the True believers. The million at Petra are free from harm and are provided manna daily for food and fresh water from a spring that seemed to be Gods answer to launching the missile.

While in Greece we have a couple members of the Tribulation Force trying to rescue the pilot George from Global Community Forces. The Tribulation Force members have taken on credible covers of high ranking GC officers...the only problem is the local commander is friends with the head of Internal Security at the Palace, and is planning a trap for the Trip Force.

And the Global Community think that something is going on in Chicago, so they plan to send missiles at it and level the city. Easier then doing a sweep of a city when they have so few men left in the world.

The Tribulation Force uses the Co-op to set up a large trade of wheat from South America and Water from India. It is interesting to read the protection placed upon even the believers in their aircraft as the Anti-Christ's Air Force tries to knock them out of the air.
on 29 January 2014
As a non-religious person I knew very little about the Christian beliefs concerning the 'Rapture' and 'Christ's Second Coming'. I also felt a series based in religion would hold very little interest for me. How wrong I was!!! The books are fast paced, exciting and real page turners. The characters are believable and you find yourself immersed in their stories, wanting them to survive. I also learnt a huge amount and found myself considering what the Bible foretells, wondering if there actually is some truth to it. The 'Left Behind' series commanded my interest, fascinated me and changed my perspective on religion. I would recommend this series to believers and to those who may be sceptical (like I was) but who are willing to approach this with an open mind and a preparedness to be taught something as well as enjoying a fascinating read. Excellent series and extremely talented authors who know what they're talking about.
VINE VOICEon 4 July 2011
Anyone who is ten books in to a series should know what to expect and The Remnant holds no surprises. The usual structure is exaggerated in this entry, with the first half following one event, without any tension or enjoyable action, whilst the latter half picks it up a bit. The final quarter is a welcome deviation from the norm, with far less dialogue which frequently feels like filler. If the authors could have used this style across the series, it would have been six books shorter and more enjoyable for it. The Remnant is a vital stepping stone in the series however it offers very little character development and overdoes the sermons somewhat.
on 6 March 2013
Another great read in the series of "Left Behind". It is so good just to find authors who have no need to use bad language to convey their ideas or their characters. The authors have made believable and rounded characters of their heros and their part in the end times.