Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 July 2016
I considered this book for a friend who has gone through the loss of a newborn but decided in the end that Guthrie's book didn't quite hit the right note. This book is sound; this book is honest. But I completely agree with one reviewer (maybe on the .com site) that the author writes as someone well beyond their original pain. Occasionally one catches a glimpse of Guthrie's original rawness and depth of pain, but the book quickly shifts back to a "So how did Job do it?" aire. For someone in the throes of grief, how can this minister or empathize? I found this book too clinical, too cold.

Along the same lines, this book would have been so much stronger if it hadn't tried to be "all things to all grievers". There are recurrent nods to other "loss" issues (e.g. financial, marital, and death generally). If I was grieving the loss a child, I would find these references not just distracting and annoying, but in a way actually undermining my own unique grief. I can only imagine that the decision to go that route had more to do with the publisher than the author. Unfortunately this and the other "clinical" issue I mentioned above takes all the passion and power out of what no doubt is or was an affective story and testimony.
on 1 January 2011
I can very much recommend this book. It is a very precious book. It has encouraged me and has deepened my faith to the One who carries us through all our, loss, pain and suffering: Jesus Christ. I have read many times the book of Job, which was always helpful for me in a process of pain - bringing understanding and healing. I am very thankful.
on 18 December 2015
Great Book would highly recommend it to those who have had trails in their life. The book was delivered on time and I had no problem with the seller.
on 29 September 2015
Excellent book, so good I have bought for others as well as having my own copy. A great aid for seeking God through personal difficulty.