on 20 April 2017
Have not read the book so far but have flicked my way through it and it appears to have the right information that I am looking for on this topic. I was recommended this book by a friend.
on 18 April 2016
very useful
on 16 October 2014
good book
on 13 July 2015
GREAT
on 1 September 2015
A good intro but I was looking for some thing with more application and skills based approaches.
on 2 July 2015
Book received, many thanks
on 17 May 2010
I am so glad I bought this book. Andrew Reeves has brought together in one edition the most important practical and theoretical issues surrounding counselling and psychotherapy with suicidal clients.

Having previously attended a workshop run by Andrew Reeves and being deeply impressed by his knowledge and honestly as well as his humanity I awaited my pre-ordered copy with excitement.

This book is a huge leap forward in assisting practitioners to better understand suicidal risk in the context of their own practice. Reeves is deeply respectful of the individual differences in therapists practice. He doesn't tell you the 'right' way to do this - rather helps therapists understand what the meaning behind their own way of working with suicidal clients is, and how research can and should be utilised to inform practice. This will support therapists in working within legal, ethical and personal philosophical boundaries and help them consider the meaning of suicidal feelings, thoughts and behaviour with their clients. It will also challenge managers and trainers to take another look at how they consider suicide within their organisations which can only be of benefit to clients - even if nothing is changed, it will be in awareness based in the consideration of systematic research.

Starting from the often heard statement 'counsellors don't work with suicidal clients' which is so different than the reality for many practicing counsellors Reeves examines the reasons behind such assumptions and the way they effect practice.

I wholeheartedly recommend this book to qualified and trainee therapists alike, as well as anyone who may use counselling skills in their work.

My own practice has improved as a result of reading this book, and of the greatest benefit is a new found sense of security based on reflection on my own work in the context of research and practice based evidence. I can now consider policy, client's capacity to consent, risk factors and my personal views about suicide in the context of my work setting and know I am a better counsellor as a result of it.