on 9 January 2011
I can appreciate the review here that gives the book a one star rating. If I bought this book expecting an 'Introduction to Management' I would have done this same. This series of books - 'Very Short, Fairly Interesting...' have NOT been written with a casual reader in mind. Despite the fact that the title might lead you to think this.

There are a lot of books out there which take a very reductionist (10 simple steps) approach to Management, not this one. This is a book, part of a series, which has been written to get under the skin of the deeper conversation. Looking at how Management Theory came about, how it's developed and exploring it's themes, it has clearly been written for someone who wants to approach and explore the subject from an academic perspective.

I have to come clean here, the series was recommended by a co-student of mine. We're both at the start of our masters course and have found these a great resource. Although we've found them a resource for academic study, I would also recommend the book to anyone who has grown tired of the '10 simple steps' approach and wants to explore the subject with greater critique and rigour.
on 6 June 2013
I'd agree with Jim Barker above. I am part-way through an MBA with the OU, and it's the first text that I have come across that comes close to reflecting my own experience in anything like a realistic manner. All the organizations that I have worked in or come across have been a mixture of the straightforward and the dysfunctional, and I suspect that this is pretty universal, as these elements are part of what makes people into people. To paraphrase Tolstoy: functioning organizations are all alike; every dysfunctional organization is dysfunctional in its own way. This books gives you tools to understand why this is so, and to see how language and culture is used to create the realities that the powerful want to exist. Highly recommended!
on 14 September 2009
I brought this book as it was meant to simplify aspects of management, I'ts one of the most difficult books thst I have ever read. Don't waste your money!