on 12 October 2013
I confess to being a very addicted Dorling Kindersley guidebook fan! The tag line they use is "We show you what others only tell you", and that is how I generally feel when I use a DK guide. I particularly like the accurately drawn 3D street plans and the cutaway drawings of major buildings which remarkably often allow me to regain my bearings, so to speak. For example, in this case the drawings of the host of buildings in the Topkapi complex were of great assistance in identifying them individually - much easier than trying to follow a 2D ground plan map. We went on a Bosphorus ferry cruise and again the guidebook enabled easy identification of the various buildings along the shores - in this case largely from the small photos linked to the route map. Same applied to the rabbit warren of the Grand Bazaar - the combination of a suggested route around it and little photos of the key interesting sections worked a treat.

By and large the tourist information is about right for me- no long reams of text but easily enough to get the salient points of interest, and good on practical points like transportation options. For city breaks DK books are hard to beat, IMHO!.
on 16 August 2013
We just got back from Istanbul, and I took this book and the enclosed map with us. The book is pretty good, although I personally would have liked more photos and a bit more detail/tips about navigating various sites. Also, there are maybe 2 pages about the Asian side, and only detailing one neighborhood over there.The Princes islands get a very brief mention, too. The book really just focuses on the European side of the city, although it does detail some day trips and sites along the Bosphorus. I can't fault the book too much, although I will complain about the map!!! We stayed in the Beyoglu area, and a lot of the streets had names that were different from those on the map. Frustrating if you are looking for a particular address!! I had heard the district was changing some names but I don't think the name changes were all that recent, as every time we'd ask a local for help, they would seem confused by the names on the map. For a 2013 book, the publishers should've been on top of that. Therefore, only 3 stars.
on 12 May 2014
This guide passed with flying colours during our visit to Istanbul. Compact enough to be easily portable, good overviews for quick information but with enough detail to read at your leisure. Beautifully laid out and visually very attractive, clear and informative, as DK books always are; a refreshing change from other guides, which can be heavy going. The detachable (plasticised) street map was very useful and much clearer than the one available in the tourist information office and our hotel.
on 22 May 2014
This book is fab. Lots of detail. Sections are easy to use. Eg. History, money, areas, shopping, eating out, tips, maps and also a pull out one which is coated so rain friendly. It's a good dip into book. I have spent about a month reading it whenever I have a few mins. There is a useful words bit too so you can learn a bit of Turkish. Places to stay and resturant guide by budget. Would thoroughly recommend this guide.
on 9 March 2014
Istabul is certainly a rather complicated and immense city to discover. Quite daunting at first but this guide was just great with excellent recommendations and a very clear map. I strongly recommend it.
on 3 September 2013
With only a few days, it's good to have a expert's eye to guide you.
I rate the guide highly because it always gives you a list of the 'Top Ten'
For sight-seers in a hurry (most of us) this book points the way!
on 31 March 2014
I've always liked the DK series of guides and this is another excellent publication. Very comprehensive, easy to read guide to the best of the city and beyond. My only suggestion for improvement would be to have more maps but of a larger scale so as to be easier to read.
on 12 November 2013
This series of guide books is reliable, with good maps and plans of major attractions. The tours of the major sites were very helpful, as was the information on getting around the city.
on 5 August 2014
I tend always buy this collection when travelling
Good explanation but not too much
Give you nice ideas of what to visit
I really like as well the already made walks or days lay-out
on 6 October 2014
Eyewitness travel guides are really the best. When you read it, you will feel that you are one of the locals. The book is well organized and easy to navigate. The pull out map is really useful.