on 25 October 2009
For me, DK are the leaders in guide books as they blend history, travel, key information, accommodation, restaurants and other general travel tips with superb illustrations.

I have visited all 3 Baltic States and found this book invaluable.
on 25 October 2009
This reaches the high standards of all Dorling Kindersley books. It's packed with information, photos and those brilliant colour drawings of some of the big highlights. The usual reliable lists of hotels and restaurants. Only problem is that it's just too big. It's heavy to carry around on days out and until your favourite pages have got a big dog eared you do spend several minutes thumbing through the book to find the relevant pages. And because it covers so much the maps are hidden through the book which csn be frustrating too.

Overall, though, a great guide to the area.
on 18 February 2011
I'm pleased I bought this guidebook. I was initially tempted to purchase a book that concentrated solely on the Latvian capital Riga as that is where I was visiting. This guide's coverage of Riga, running to about 20-odd pages, is certainly adequate for a short break as is its coverage of the other Baltic capitals, Vilnius in Lithuania and Tallinn in Estonia [which is the European Capital of Culture in 2011]. So, potentially, you could get at least three weekend breaks worth of value out of this one book - which is probably reason enough for me to recommend it to you.

What I really liked about this guidebook though is its extensive coverage of what lies outside of these famous cities. When I thought of expanses of pine forests, clear lakes, meandering rivers, unspoilt countryside, plentiful wildlife, picturesque villages, wooden houses and stunning, pristine beaches, I have to admit that Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia weren't the first places that came to mind. To its credit, this guidebook changed that. Page after page of fine illustrations and high-quality photographs showcase the beauty of the Baltic States' largely undiscovered rural and coastal regions. Plenty of suggestions for places to visit and things to see and do combined with a decent "Traveller's Needs" section, fairly clear maps and a useful "Survival Guide" would make this an invaluable guidebook for anyone considering touring this fascinating but little-known part of the world.
on 17 August 2013
Useful guide, although the pictures are too much. They can sometimes be useful, but I personally find they miss information out to make way for pictures, If I'm there why do I need so many pictures? I can see the places of interest because I'm there . I prefer the Lonely Planet guides as they have far more information. Although in my last review about the Lonely Planet guide for Estonia, Latvia & Lithuania I mentioned an issue with map accuracy, so we took both books and found the maps in this book more accurate than the Lonely Planet book.
on 25 August 2011
the info in this book is excellent as with all DK books, however, I wish the countries were seperate, I only needed Estonia but had to take Lithuania and Latvia with me on holiday and when every gram of weight counts on the airline, it is not ideal.
This was invaluable in planning our trip, you get so much more out of a short break when you have an idea of what you want to see is and you do not waste any time.
on 13 November 2013
The maps could have been a little clearer to negotiate but otherwise very well structured and presented with the tourist highlights clearly identified and described.
on 19 January 2014
This guide to 3 Baltic states is as good as it is but that is as far as it goes.There should be 3 books-one for each country as the information is compacted in such a way as to be meaningless,the text is far to short and the pictures so small to be useless.
The sections on visitor attracctions and survival guide are reasonable but the book ignores many aspects of life in these countrys.
Definately not recommended-get a guide for each country to find out whats what.
on 14 August 2014
Firstly, I did not read it all; I used it for a short trip to Latvia. It's good that there is such a guide book. On the other hand, the book reminds of the colonisation of Africa: East Estonia, West Estonia, East Latvia, West Latvia - does that even mean anything? The Baltic countries have their traditional regions, like Aukštaitija and Žemaitija in Lithuania. Not a word about it. Plus, the old polonisation and supremacism story. The authors seem to be not at all sensitive to the fact that some people find it offensive, when the Union of Poland and Lithuania is referred to as Poland (pages 33 and 134).
on 7 November 2014
DK guides suit me very well. They are aimed at all travellers and whether you have a tight budget or can afford to splash out, they are full of great down to earth suggestions for making the most of your time.
on 30 March 2011
Excellent guide, well laid out , and readable. Covers subjects for a wide variety of interests.Well illustrated and well indexed.