Format: Hardcover|Change

on 17 October 2014
I have only tried two of the patterns so far and have already found two mistakes in the instructions. I was able to correct them but a beginner would probably find her/himself in trouble and give up thinking it was their fault. Surely these publications are proof read by experienced knitters? If not, why not?
33 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I am a returning knitter. Having not touched my needles for 22 years I am needing some instructions to jog my memory. I also want to expand my knowledge base and learn knitting skills I never had. After searching around, buying books on Amazon and raiding the local library I didn't have a clear fit to my ability until I found this book at the library.
It's the photographs that make this book really good. They are possibly the clearest I have seen anywhere.
Want to know what continental/European knitting looks like? How to hold the yarn and needles while you do it? It's here. I have read about it, now I can see it.
Cables, twists knitting in the round, with double pointed needles etc are all here in clear photographic instructions.
There is plenty of information on basic equipment and techniques.

The book also contains over a hundred patterns/projects in different sections.
Clothes: Cardigans, Sweaters, Hats, Scarves, Gloves, Socks.
Home: Blankets , Cushions, Bags and Toys.

I found the Home Projects the most appealing.
The designs are modern, stylish and use beautiful colours. nothing is crude or clashing.

The Clothes are a good selection though not up to a plus size, they do have four sizes for all garments, including a classic cardigan, while not very exciting it is what it is. I think the women's clothes selection is my least favourite, However here is a beautiful lacy shawl I have to make. Plus great socks at least four patterns I want to try out.
The Home projects are more exciting for me. I like the throws, blankets and cushion. The toys are also more original and attractive.

Each project has essential information made very clear. What yarn what level of ability the pattern requires. All the usual, but the bonus here are the very clear lay outs out which makes you feel more capable.

I think for either someone like me who needs to regain confidence, or a beginner who wants to learn to knit will find a lot of help.
I think even an advanced knitter will like the projects as they are attractive and some look very original. Whether the patterns alone justify the cost I can't say. I have looked through a lot of books in a short space of time and this one really stands out.
Now I have to buy my own copy. As I don't want to give it back to the library and I have to !
on 11 August 2014
This was a suprise birthday gift from my husband - not a knitter!- so I was amazed how good it is. Most knitting books I have read have only had a couple of patterns I would actually make but there are few patterns in here that I wouldn't have a go at. The cushions are particularly nice and Ive also made a jumper and the socks. There was a mistake on one of the patterns but generally spot on. A lovely gift for any knitter or to treat yourself. Lots of inspiring ideas for projects!
on 18 October 2013
The book looks good and does give instructions etc But I have tried two of the patterns, the first a beanie hat with scull and crossbones pattern, I found that the chart had missed out an important stitch so that the crossbones all joined up. The second, the snake scarf seemed to miss out a change of wool colour and a decent finish for the tongue.
An experienced knitter would probably pick these mistakes up quickly but a learner might find it more difficult.
on 23 March 2014
Lots of problems with understanding the patterns important information omitted I have tried three patterns so far, has any one ever checked the written patterns and actually knitted them?
on 23 June 2013
This is a great book for those attempting knitting for the first time as well as those who know some more intricate work. It includes lovely patterns for all ages.
on 19 October 2013
My mum asked me to order this for her as she doesn't have access to the internet or is able to use it. She has told me:

'As an experienced knitter of 50 years this book has been a good addition to my library. There are techniques and patterns in this book that I've not come across before. As I would expect with a DK book it is well bound and well printed. The pictures are clear and the text easy to follow and understand. As a registered blind knitter it is important that books are straight to the point and clear in their instruction so that I can use my magnifyier/scanner without taking ages to get to the point. Its a great book'
on 31 October 2013
I am a returning knitter and found it was like riding a bike. Thought I'd have a go at a jumper but was only a little way in when I was given an instruction (inc 2) which I cannot find a method for in this book. I have looked and looked, but no - it's not there. I'm frustrated!!
on 28 November 2015
Lovely big hardback book with loads of information and ideas. Would make a brilliant present and stands out as being one of the nicest books in my collection. Suitable for novice and experienced alike. Could spend all day just reading the book without touching the needles!
on 10 May 2015
Lots of great patterns. I'm a beginner and have found lots of patterns I can do and have expanded my knitting knowledge, learning new techniques to complete projects. Am working up to the more advanced projects and hope to make a cuddly toy for my friends son once I finish the blanket I'm doing.