VINE VOICEon 23 October 2015
DK are always my preferred publishers of travel guides so when I was planning a trip to China this was my first purchase.
The history of China and the introductions to each of the areas are very good - its always great to put context to the present day.
The difficulty is that the book is just trying to cover too much. China is a massive country - whilst we were there for two weeks and did lots of travelling, the majority of the book was completely irrelevant to our trip.
In hindsight, I think I would have been better with a few smaller books about the specific cities as there would have been more information about each place and far less waste.
There are sections on Where to Stay and Where to Eat - in China? there are millions of options so to choose just a few recommendations from across the whole country is an impossible task.
on 4 June 2014
I bought this guide on the recommendation of previous amazon reviews to prepare for my first ever trip to Rome, both to do research before travelling and for use whilst there. A friend and I went for the full experience - the ancient, the renaissance, baroque, christian, modern, food, people watching, the lot. I ended up reading it cover to cover! It has everything you could possibly need, from a crash course in the history of the city to what to eat and drink, where to stay, area-by-area maps and guides, local customs, phrases, many great maps, practical advice and more. We used it every day and it led us to a number of great attractions and restaurants (and gelaterie...), not to mention stopping us from getting completely lost innumerable times (a miracle).
One thing it didn't tell us that would have been useful is that Terravision run a shuttle bus from Fiumincino to Termini, not just from Ciampino, which you can buy on their website for 4 euros each way per person. Much cheaper than a taxi!

Couldn't recommend this guide enough for those visiting the eternal city for the first time and every time thereafter! One warning - it is a breeze block. Not pocket size...
on 25 November 2014
As most of the DK Eyewitness Guide I have bought, a superb mixture between valuable facts and informative illustrations. Naturally the book concentrates on the well-known sights in both Classic and Baroque Rome, but ventures also to the lesser-known worth-whiles. The section on worth to know is fairly comprehensive and provides much useful information.
The size and weight of the book maybe makes it less useful while walking the cobbled streets of Rome, but this is a minor issue. I have solved it by using the foldable map and add small post-it arrows with information - this is easy to carry around.
As background material and inspiration for travel planning this book is a valuable and thorough companion.
on 24 February 2014
This allows for an incredible insight into Rome. The pages are full of detailed information about the historic sights in all parts of the historical city. The photographs are of a very high standard and the detail generally is excellent, with information on transport, a city map and clear guidelines for eating out etc. etc. I cannot praise this book enough. It is excellent and I do not think any other travel guide of Rome can match it.
on 12 April 2017
This little book has a LARGE amount of information in it. So easy to read with good maps
on 20 March 2016
Superb book full of great details of Rome and good maps. Too with me for the week and was very informative. Good value for money.
on 6 January 2016
Big fan of DK Eyewitness travel guides, the book on Rome met all expectations - informative, easy to read, lots of illustrations, helpful suggestions on walking routes, recommendations and references. The detailed map at the end was a welcome bonus.
on 22 August 2017
Eyewitness Travel books - Worth its weight.
on 22 March 2017
fab guides and essential for city breaks.
on 26 April 2017
On our recent visit to Rome This Guide was a must.