on 11 September 2013
I am a big fan of the DK guides, reliable, readable and attractive : these pocket guides are usually good value, easy to carry around guidebooks and maps in one. Unfortunately, this Singapore guide, 2013 revised edition (it claims on verso) is not up-to-date. It doesn't mention anywhere Singapore's new and wonderful Gardens By the Bay, a large public garden/restaurant/entertainment complex in Marina Bay. This opened in June 2012, so one has to conclude this is a 2011 edition at best. I don't know what else is missing. Disappointing.
What is great about this Top 10 guide is that it gives an overview - it provides a summary of what is on offer. Inside is not just the obvious - the Top 10 sights to see. Also you get the Top 10 museums & galleries, Top 10 markets, Top 10 Arts & Crafts, Top 10 events etc. - even the Top 10 things to avoid.

The book is very small - the size of a DL envelope. Consequently it is easy to carry around, and to put in your pocket. Its weight is very low so it won't weigh on your pocket.

It is divided by area with restaurant reviews for each, plus recommendations for shops, bars and hotels.

It can't provide detail - it can provide `the big picture'.

I now normally take two travel guides with me - one of these Top 10 ones and a detailed travel guide, to get the best of both worlds. If you just have a detailed travel guide, you can miss out on things that you wish you had visited.

On a separate issue, I prefer the paperback version over the Kindle version. I previously bought the Kindle version of a different DK Top 10 Eyewitness travel guide (for the Algarve) because I am a Kindle lover - to my surprise, I found the Kindle format terribly irritating. It taught me that when using a travel guide, you want to be able to flick quickly through it and jump around easily - that's SO much easier with a physical book.

In addition, you want it to be in colour - you can cure that by taking your iPad with you but an iPad is bigger and heavier than this book in its paperback version. You can get round that if you have an iPad mini or a large screen smartphone but you are still left with the problem of being unable to flick around the book quickly.

Travel guides just don't work well in the Kindle format, in my opinion.

You may feel otherwise but that is how I feel. I found the relative awkwardness in flicking around the Kindle book a major handicap. And this is despite the fact that I buy most of my books in Kindle format.

What I am saying is that this is a great book but my personal preference is to buy the paperback version.
on 24 May 2014
Not possible to carry books so kindle. Not as easy to use as a book even though specially designed.Quite good for getting ideas where to go on short visit but felt rather bitty and disconnected. Needed more picture and maps. Prefer the ordinary eye witness books.
on 1 April 2016
A very handy travel book, small enough to fit in a small handbag and not heavy. The maps were very useful and has a lot of recommended places to see. It helped us very much on our trip to Singapore.
on 1 June 2014
I used this extensively and it was my constant guide on a 4 day stay in Singapore. Very useful map and a size that makes it easy to carry around
on 4 January 2014
A useful book with easy to use categories. However Singapore is developing and changing rapidly so make sure you get the latest copy.
on 20 April 2015
Used but like brand new! Very useful for the trip although, few things were not updated since there is a new edition in mid 2015
on 17 August 2015
I like these little travelling books, they are colourful, concise, and easy to understand. Just the right size for a suitcase.
on 8 August 2014
Another really hand pocket-sized guide, which was so helpful in planning my exploration of Singapore. Highly recommended.
on 8 March 2015
I always find the Top 10 guide books easy to follow and use, particularly when out and about on holiday.