on 15 July 2017
Great guide
on 23 March 2017
Great book
on 19 July 2013
Enjoyable book to read and to take with us while travelling. Read the reviews before purchasing. Cant go wrong buying it.
HALL OF FAMETOP 10 REVIEWERon 25 August 2015
I have a large number of these travel guides. What I like about them is their format - each book gives an overview (rather than lots of detail). It provides a summary of what is on offer. Inside is not just the obvious i.e. the Top 10 sights to see. Also you get things like the Top 10 museums & galleries, Top 10 markets, Top 10 Arts & Crafts, Top 10 events etc. - even the Top 10 things to avoid. That makes them very useful, and a unique approach to travel guides. I use them to decide what to do, and then use another book (or a website) to give me more detail if I need that.

This book covers, for example:
 Golden Gate Bridge
 Top 10 Festivals & Parades
 Top 10 Beaches
 Top 10 Day Trips
(This is some, not all)

The book in its physical format is small - just small enough to fit inside a DL envelope (i.e. the standard white envelope, designed to accept a sheet of A4 paper folded twice). It is actually a few centimetres shorter than a DL envelope. This compact size makes it easy to fit into your pocket.

This book can't provide detail - it can provide `the big picture'. I now normally take two travel guides with me - a DK Top 10 one like this and a detailed travel guide, to get the best of both worlds. If you just have a detailed travel guide, you can miss out on things that you wish you had visited.

On a separate issue, I originally bought my Top 10 books in the Kindle format (because I am a Kindle lover) and to my surprise found the Kindle format terribly irritating. It taught me that when using a travel guide, you want to be able to flick quickly through it and jump around easily - that's SO much easier with a physical book. In addition, you want it to be in colour - you can cure that by taking your iPad with you but an iPad is bigger and heavier than this book in its paperback version. You can get round that if you have an iPad mini or a large screen smartphone (neither of which I had when I bought this) but you are still left with the problem of being unable to flick around the book quickly. Travel guides just don't work well in the Kindle format, in my opinion.

You may feel otherwise but that is how I feel. I found the relative awkwardness in flicking around the Kindle book a major handicap. And this is despite the fact that I buy most of my books in Kindle format.

The beauty of these books is that they give you an overview, which means that you end up doing things that you would not have done otherwise.
on 31 May 2013
SO I have just finished using this book to organise our 2 day trip to San Francisco. It has a lot of useful information in it, but I skimmed over certain items as I did not need to worry about them. I aimed for sights and restaurants. After a thorough read, I was able to find all the information I needed. I used the maps which come with the book, and also used some web browsing and reading reviews online. This book was a great place to start and finish as there are far too many things to do, and too many websites to pick from.

I would highly recommend this to anyone who will be going to San Francisco and need a travel guide to get started.

Well worth the investment. Now we have another DK guide for our collection of places we've been. Nice little collection.
on 12 April 2013
I love everything about this guide - I have more detailed guide books but this is perfect for getting to the heart of what you need to see in San Francisco (or anywhere in fact - all the the top ten guides are great). It's also easy to slip in your pocket when you are out and about. Highly recommended.
on 24 April 2014
This book was very helpful for us during our few days in San Francisco. The map could have been better, however, all hotels provide a comprehensive local street map so this did not matter. I would be careful about the recommended food and drink costing guide. We visited a restaurant stated as a $$ and it was most definitely a $$$$. The food was lovely so we couldn't complain.
For a small city guide it's fine.
on 5 December 2012
I like the DK books and this one does not fail to please. We have relatively short time in SF so want to make best use of it and this guide helps us do that.
on 13 April 2013
Just another great guide from a great publisher. It gives a good snapshot of San Francisco for the tourist. Easy download to Kindle.
on 22 November 2013
Not going to San Francisco till 2014, but this Guide really helps to plan our four days there. One slight criticism is that I find the transport map is rather small print and not easy to follow. The size of book will make it easy to carry and consult.