on 7 February 2016
Going through my recipe book collection, the majority of the books I have are Mary's. When buying recipe books for my son I had no doubt that this one would be perfect for him.
Lovely book, well set out and I really like the way each recipe is photographed, then some of the steps are also pictured, instead of just described.
This was well received
on 30 July 2014
I bought this for my 12 year old granddaughter as she is very interested in cooking. She has found it very easy to follow and has used and enjoyed many of the recipes. I am sure she will continue to find it useful over the years. I personally love Mary's books of which I have many.
on 21 February 2013
Mary is a Goddess with a talent for conveying delicious techniques in culinary techniques. This was great and I learned a lot.
Maybe you are a better cook than I but I find her confirmation and tweaking of my methods satisfying.
on 17 February 2014
I bought this for my niece, who had just moved into her first flat, she loves it and updates me on which recipes she has tried, she is very much a novice but finds it very helpful. Having bought it for her I liked it so much I bought it for myself, I don't usually cook to a recipe unless I am baking but I think it is a great reference for techniques you use once in a blue moon, it appears to cover pretty much everything. I would highly recommend it and find it odd, as some other reviews have, to criticize a book that is all about the basics of cookery for being basic, the purpose and format of the book is clearly outlined in the description. The book is well laid out with plenty of photos and extra hints and tips, I am sure it will get well used over the years to come.
on 28 April 2014
I wasn't aware that Mary berry did anything other than baking but when I came across a soup recipe of hers on-line which was easy to make and delicious, I decided to search out other recipes by her and came across this book. I purchased the book (on line through Amazon for £9 instead of the £25 cover price) and have since made half a dozen recipes all with great results. I cannot praise her methods, accuracy of ingredients or simplistic way of teaching you to cook from this book highly enough. Ok there aren't many "spicey" ...."fusion"...or other "arty-farty" recipes in it but that's good because this teaches you good basic home cooking. I have since given away to charity shops 6 or 7 other cookery books that I never use because this is the one for me. I should add that it's published by Dorling Kindersley which from experience always produce quality, easy to read books with top quality images - check out the Masterchef books "Kitchen Bible" and "Cookery Course" - both worth picking up.
on 26 November 2013
This is probably a good book if the writing was big enough to read. I have the kindle app installed on my ipad, and this is the only book that I cant enlarge the writing to a suitable size. Disappointed.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 26 June 2013
What a fabulous cook book this is, covering recipes from roasts, soups, pies, cakes and more. With step by step instructions, and beautiful colour illustrations the recipes are easy to follow. Plus there are Mary's tips for success.

The recipes are very well laid out with the ingredients listed as well as the method and fat and calorie content. At the beginning of the book there is a list of basic kitchen equipment needed for success in your cooking. Mary even lists the pros and cons between the choice of material for pots and pans.
A recommended buy.
on 9 February 2015
I'm not an experienced cook but I have no problem following Mary's advice, and am steadily improving.
on 13 October 2014
Another reviewer said she had bought this book for her 13 year old granddaughter and this convinced me to buy one for my granddaughter of the same age as I know she already makes meals and bakes cakes. I have had a good look through it although not made anything, but have found things out that I did not know and I have been cooking for well over fifty years and consider myself a good cook.

I think the recipes are very well laid out and easy to follow and will suit all ages.
on 12 April 2014
I'm sure the hard-cover version will be very good. However, the "ipad" version, which according to Amazon's description should work, DOESN'T!. Unfortunately I'm not the only one that's had this problem. So, it's difficult to give a semsible review on the contents of the book itself.

The technical problem is that you can't enlarge the print size. The ipad "pinch and enlarge" commands just don't work. I raised a telephone complaint and the kindle technical team tested while I waited, only to confirm there was a fault. Apology and refund were given, but It's unfortunate they still haven't fixed the problem and it's still available for purchase, even though it doesn't work!

Unless Amazon, Kindle or whoever is responsible fixes it, I suggest you don't waste your time purchasing and downloading onto your ipad. I will update or edit my review if and when a fix is given so I can purchase it (hopefully still at the discounted price).