Customer reviews

on 10 June 2017
There are few up to date guide books to Egypt currently, which isn't a huge surprise given the current state of affairs. I bought this kindle edition and it was helpful on our recent trip to Egypt. Would have liked to have a paper copy, but not an option at the time. Rough guides are definitely the best travel books out there and the first one I buy for any trip.
on 26 April 2017
Prompt delivery, useful guide
on 21 March 2013
I had the previous edition out of the library planning our trip to Egypt and bought the latest issue for the trip itself. It is excellent although I did have nagging thoughts that the previous edition seemed more comprehensive somehow. I have not put both issues together to make a comparison so it is probably just the updated format; maybe one or two maps are on a single page whereas they were on two before ? Either way if there are any differences they are minimal and the book is SUPERB. Others use Lonely Planet but to me they fall short of the depth of the RG. We travelled to Cairo, Aswan, cruised to Luxor - all the places we visited, temples, tombs - everything - were covered - with helpful suggestions along the way.

One suggestion I might add myself is if you are planning to visit the Valley of The Kings, most tours go early in the morning (as we did with our formal tour) so the place is crowded. We revisited under our own steam a few days later at at 3 pm and it was virtually deserted plus we had nice evening shadows giving great atmosphere. We also visited Howard Carter's house on the way - it is well worth the visit.
VINE VOICEon 22 May 2013
I haven't been to Egypt since 2007 and a lot has happened in the world since and in Egypt in particular. I am entranced by the remnants of Ancient Egypt and we decided that it was about time we went back and we should get a new guide book.

We were based in Luxor and didn't travel very far - to the temples and Luxor Museum and across to the West Bank by public ferry. We found the Rough Guide to Egypt was relevant and up to date. We tried the restaurants it recommended and we enjoyed them. The maps were good, we walked from the Winter Palace to the Sheraton via Television Street and other key local shopping streets and the maps were correct (better at the moment than Google maps - which did give a warning that they might not be completely accurate). It was easy to find information. Everything you would want from a guide book
on 23 February 2013
Great, up to date and very useful. Used it for a holiday in Luxor allinfo was correct and easy to access - and also a really good read.
on 3 September 2014
as always this is the book to take to Egypt - We never travel there without it - best site maps - and lots of information.
Have been using this guide book to Egypt for over 20 years - updating as soon as new addition is published.
In my opinion don't waste your cash with any other book.
on 27 August 2014
all the info is on there, and its good, but they really haven't sorted out the way people use guide - flipping from map to page, earmarking pages for future use, searching for info in different places - still about 10 times quicker in the book this means you drain battery life from the device you are using. At present would still pay twice the price for the book rather than the download.
on 21 July 2014
Egypt is a huge and complex nation. Even a 600 page guide book can hardly do justice to it...
Anyway, we were only on a 10 day all-inc easter vacation to Sharm El sheikh... Still we did manage to get to Cairo independently, as the police had stopped the usual tourist busses. So thank you RG
on 13 February 2014
This book covers everything you need to know and it's up to date. Full of helpful tips and advice too , worth every penny.
on 25 December 2013
Didnt use it since all tours cancelled because of unrest - did read it and it looks excellent for first timer.