on 12 September 2017
OK
on 25 September 2013
We used this book extensively, had 3 weeks and travelled from Marrakesh-Rabat-Larache-Chefchaouen-Al hoecima-Nador. Although I realise the book is probably based on last summers prices?! Alot of the room prices were way out; as in listed cheaper and the descriptions were too kind! Travelling to and from, places, info was subject to a lot of leeway as well as dates and times being incorrect. But on the main the info about places to visit, sites of interest was generally very informative. I usually prefer Rough Guide to the opposition but would be interested to do a comparrison with this particular country's book.
on 15 June 2013
I have explored Morocco many times using the previous edition of the Rough Guide. The new 2013 edition is a disappointment.

The maps, although slightly bigger, have smaller print against darker backgrounds and I therefore find it almost impossible to read the place-names. Also, the maps are still distributed throughout the book so you don't know where to find them, or even that there is a map of a particular area. All the maps need to be bigger, plainer, and in one section.

The only improvement is that hotel prices are now quoted as an actual price, rather than by means of a code. However, many good medium-priced hotels, which luckily I found from previous editions, have been omitted. Some of the cheap hotels listed and described as good, are actually dire.
on 27 April 2013
Excellent guide. Really helped us get the most out of our stay in Morocco with good background on history, flora and fauna and culture. Especially interesting on Berber culture. We found the accomodation recommendations very helpful. We could have done with a better map as we travelled extensively and road maps are not a strong point in Morocco. The suggested walks were first class, especially in the Atlas Mountains and the south and the pointers to off the track sights were very helpful. We often were the only people there.
on 4 February 2014
I had been hoping for more history. For example, who exactly built the Casbah in Tangier? And perhaps more insightful maps. I couldn't place places I had visited in Fez. What about a plan of Volubilis? Maybe this information was there, but I haven't found it yet. Would have liked more links in the Kindle version to be able to jump around a bit.
on 5 July 2014
Very helpful book. We had booked a flight to Rabat and 1 week car hire. The Rough Guide helped us to plan a very interesting road trip - both where to go and what to do when we got there. Accommodation and eating are now old hat with print editions - some were no longer there or not very good. Trip Advisor and Bookings.com have taken over this function.
on 23 November 2013
Very good book. Independant travellers doing Marrakech, Atlas, Essaouira. Paid for itself just with recommended taxi fares and advice to use Supratours busses rather than grand taxis |(not usually as grand as they sound). Found restaurant reviews accurate. Usual Rough Guide gripe (multiple users, most of the guides) that maps are spread through text, eventually get use to finding them, but prefer all at start of book or at start of each chapter. Review is for paperback edition. I downloaded sample to Kindle (Nexus 7) and whist more portable and potentially searchable (maps could possibly be bookmarked too) the ability to pass book around group still the trump card, and less clearly a 'valuable' in cafes and streets.
on 9 January 2016
I only used this book for the chapter on Marrakesh which means I don't feel I can give it an accurate full review.
As with all Rough Guides this book starts with an interesting section on the country as a whole, giving an overview on money, electricity, currency and transport, etc.
It also ends with a chapter that gives a brief but lively and interesting history of the whole country.

The section on Marrakesh is accurate and was useful for getting around outside of the markets.
We were able to follow the maps to get to some of the sites such as the Majorelle Gardens, it was also useful for finding our way to the various palaces and museums. Without this book I would never have found the beautiful little Dar Si Said a completely empty museum that really deserves more attention.
Word of warning, although the map for the markets is accurate, showing any sign of looking for somewhere will result in you getting swamped by locals "helping" you to find your destination. Follow the book not them, they will simply lead you to their stall and then expect you to buy something, they may even demand money to show you back out!

The section on food seems to recommend over priced tourist restaurants, obviously the Grand Balcony cafe is a must at least once at dusk to watch the stalls below come to life but it is expensive and over priced, besides some of the little ground level cafes across the way have much more better food prepared traditionally in front of you.
on 28 August 2014
I got this because I was going to Agadir with a friend and I wasn't able to find anything that specifically covered Agadir and the surrounding areas. Unfortunately this guide was a bit too vague at times too. However, it gaves us information about the nearby surf town and some advice on the local culture which was useful. It covered the major cities well and I plan to keep the guide in case I ever return to Morocco.
on 23 October 2014
I bought the download for my smart phone. A real pain to use compared to having the book. Seems less geared to the traveller and more for the holiday person. Listed a lot of expensive hotels with only a few for the budget traveller. Arriving in a town I would often be told - "but if you have a car, you can drive 5km further on and find a lovely Riad for 100 euros"