on 3 December 2011
This was one of the best pocket guides I have seen, with a great 'take out' map. It was invaluable on my trip to Rome this week. Speedy delivery and well packaged. Highly recommended.
on 23 March 2013
We just came back from Rome. I purchased this mainly for the map and some background info on each of the art work or sight. The concept of a book for someone who is in a Rome for couple of days is bit messy as it is jumping from one district to another and walking wise it would be a real killer. I have been to Rome before so I knew roughly what to expect. I also planned my trip on Tripomatic so I had day to day walking plan with all the sights on the way highlighted so they are as close by together as possible physically as well as historically. What I missed was some kind of coherence, surely one would get bit confused going from ruins to baroque then back to roman times again only to come across some Renaissance church again?
The information is boring; I know you can only put in some basic info but make it bit more exciting by adding some interesting now so well-known things? As the rest of it one can read from the notice boards in the museum, site, villa, etc… I am not sure about the eating and accommodation info as we did not need any of those, and for the real experience it is always better to check on Trip Advisor for the reviews.
But the Map for brilliant! Really detailed, we marked our trips each day in it and just went out with the map.
If you think that buying this book will help you to plan your trip I would say don’t bother. It is nice easy company but not enough details, it doesn’t have any real trips planned for you, and it is bit chaotic. Also price wise it is bit behind, these days trip to Vatican Museum will not cost you 10 Euros but will set you back by 16Euros.
Overall I really only recommend it because of its map and perhaps for covering most of the things that are there in Rome to see.
on 15 April 2011
Really good size to carry around. Map was excellent although only lasted 3 days with all the folding and use. Arrived in 2 days!
on 11 April 2011
I originally got this book from the library before we went to Rome. However I liked it so much I ordered my own copy to take with us. Very good guidebook with very good map. Fitted nicely in my handbag too.
Just the right amount of information to help you organise your time
on 7 September 2014
I needed a guide book for my first trip to Rome, and unsure which is best, I downloaded several kindle simples first. A wise purchaser I hoped and after reading each kindle sample I opted for this book in paperback.( after all not not really wise to use a kindle when out and about in Rome!)

Anyway with high hopes my guide book and I set off to Rome and once there I found my trusty companion to be failing in important non tourist attraction areas. It covers the touristy stuff pretty ok, even know the print is damned small. (Yes I know, its a pocket addition but it was a bit to big for my pocket!).

It failed miserably in the social areas. One street good street map with metro stations shown, but no bus or tram map. No help in surviving on a daily basis in Rome. We had to ask our hotel in end how you cross road and survive to the far curb. Do you tip waiters? That sort of info! If your not new to Rome then this could be the book for you. If like me your Rome novice then this leaves you a bit stranded on getting around, etiquette and such!
on 20 July 2011
Guidebook is very well set out, easy to read and great, clear maps including a seperate fold out map for your pocket - usefully includes the recommended restaurants and other attractions.
Much easier to read and use than other guides.
on 24 November 2011
Good guide of Rome.
Very useful tube map and separate map of Rome city
Nice size for a handbag.
Could use more Italian phrases though
on 20 December 2012
To clarify this review we are owners of many guides to many different locations, and of many different "brands" of guide.

Pros: It has a take out map, some history, and lots of recommendations, it fits well into your handbag or even coat pocket.

Cons: We found the map was quite inaccurate, the history was a little light on and many of the recommendations were of places not as described and on a few occasions places that did not exist at all.

My wife who is often a very level headed woman and fantastic with map reading at one point threw this book down onto the street in disgust because of the errors within it. I was tempted to leave it there myself but thought the map was handy. Overall, I'd suggest there should be better books out there, and the free map in our apartment was actually better than the one in the guide.
on 19 October 2012
I bought this book because it is a while since we went to Rome and I thought we needed a more up to date guide book. I am a fan of the Rough Guides but thought this was not as good as others I own, although it may suffice for a first time visitor. The print is quite small and there is a distinct lack of detail in the information given about the history etc. of the sights. Would recommend the AA Spiral guide to Rome instead, or for really detailed information the Dorling-Kindersley one.
on 4 May 2011
An update of an older version we had.Fantastically useful especially for quick reference to most of the big tourist attractions.Fits snugly into a pocket so can be easily carried round for all day reference when on the move.Maps particularly useful.Robust and puts up with lots of handling by all members of our party and is still intact.An essential buy!!!