Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon 23 January 2015
I am an extremely amateur and inexperienced birdwatcher but there are lots of waders and sea-birds near my home (in addition to the usual garden birds) so I thought I would get a book to help me identify them. Prompted by the low price and the positive reviews of other Amazonians, I picked this, and I'm very pleased I did because it's really beautiful and a joy to use. The information is very clearly presented in a way that will appeal to anyone from age 5-105. Each bird has a full-colour page of its own, so there is plenty of space to show pictures of juvenile and seasonal plumage, and maps of geographical distribution. At the start of each section, the birds of one type (eg gulls) are shown together so you can judge their relative sizes - I find this very useful. The only drawback to this book is that it is a reference work and therefore too big to take out and about - but it is incredibly useful for confirming what you have spotted when you get home.
on 27 November 2013
Delivered today (only three days from order).This is a really outstanding publication, probably the best bird book I have ever bought. You just start turning the first few pages and you're hooked. The sheer depth of information and the quality of the coloured illustrations throughout is faultless. The RSPB have really improved upon the 2011 edition, which was in smaller format, which at the time I thought would be hard to improve upon.
on 25 September 2013
Definitely a home reference not a field guide unless you are a strong birdwatcher with big reinforced pockets. Full of excellent and large photos, in fact lots of pictures for each bird. I am not an experienced/fanatical twitcher, but the contents look pretty good to me and the book covers Europe which is essential now I have moved to the south eastern end of that continent. I think it is also a great book for casual perusers (in the casual sense rather than literal sense which means thorough reading). The layout is attractive and hopefully will stir an interest in birds by a wider audience. Presentation is definitely 10 out of 10. Only one small minus point, I notice there are no warnings about the dangers from certain owls for example the Ural owl which lives in my local forest. Unusually this owl flies during the day and can be aggresive near its nest. The book is published in the UK so someone may not have realised the need to spell out the dangers from birds not native to Britain.
on 24 January 2016
Lovely reference and coffee table book for all to enjoy. I live in Northern Europe (Iceland), and this is the best for all of Europe regions and migrating birds. Lovely illustrations and detailed descriptions of birds and their habits etc. Makes a wonderful gift too and affordable at Amazon.
on 5 March 2014
Fully deserves the 5 star rating, revised edition of the classic book. Pictures are excellent and unlike the bible of field guides (Collins) it gives more information on species habits and nesting details. A large bulky book, definitely one for the coffee table and not for use out in the field.
on 31 October 2013
Purchased for education and bird watching outings
even better than expected an all round reference book
best buy this year
on 16 March 2014
What can I say? This book is an up to date version of the previous one. It has amazing pictures, full information on a huge variety of birds that I didn't even know we got in Britain. Well worth the money.
on 13 July 2015
I bought this book as I have only just started to be interested in bird watching and needed some reference book to help me know what I was looking at. This book fore fills this perfectly.
The layout is simple to follow for quick referencing with enough information to help with recognition of the birds but not to much to be time consuming to find the answer.
I would recommend this to anyone that wants a book for quick recognition of birds.
on 20 January 2014
A coffee table book with photographic pictures. Clear and decise information. Bought as a gift for someone who loves birds.
on 13 July 2015
What an excellent book!. Loads of quality information and the illustrations are of a very high quality.

The book came in a few days of ordering and arrived in excellent condition. This book is a must have so buy it.