Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Discover more Shop now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 11 January 2015
I was surprised at the sheer size of this cookbook when it arrived. It is certainly comprehensive, and has quickly become my go-to cookbook for most family meals.After the very helpful introducton (including cooking smart and eating healthily) comes the section entitled 'Recipe Choosers'. Such a large book could initially feel intimidating, but this section signposts some of the recipes as storecupboard meals, quick meals, speedy bakes, cheap eats and fussy eaters which is invaluable when it comes to meal planning for the week. The entire book is packed with beautiful photography of the finished recipes, which is helpful. The recipes themselves are split into chapters - Babies and Toddlers, Family Meals, Easy Entertaining, Food to Go, Baking and Cooking with Kids so it is easy to find a recipe to suit the occasion. Finally, the recipes are interspersed with 'features' - Fussy babies and toddlers, Smart shopping, Batching and freezing, Meals for a week, Vegetarian kids, Teatime, The hard-working fridge, Catering for allergies, Unexpected guests, Clever with leftovers, Kids parties and Faddy kids and teenagers. There really is a huge amount of information in this book! Although I cook from recipe books a lot, I am always on the lookout for a basic book from which I can cook meals that the entire family enjoys, and with this I think my search is over. The recipes are very easy to follow, and they actually work! There is always a new variation on an old favourite to try. The only thing I found myself looking for was a section on celebratory cakes, ready for the slew of birthdays that occur every February in my family. There are some beautiful cakes, but nothing regarding decorating which would have literally been the icing on the cake! However, I feel this is a very minor point, and given the information already included, perhaps this would have been too much. So full marks from me, and looking forward to enjoying more easy recipes courtesy of this lovely cookbook.
on 11 October 2013
I have become a very uninspired cook for my young family. I scour the magazines and cook book for good recipes that will suit my really fussy daughter and multiple allergy son but only ever come up with a couple of good recipes every so often and then they get so used that we all become fed up with them! This book seems to be a godsend!! There are so many recipes and the majority are appetising and will appeal to us all. There are quite a few recipes that I will never cook, but when there are 700 to choose from, that is no great loss. Most of the recipes have pictures and I hope that my results will look as good as the books!! We made the banana and date mini muffins today and they were a huge hit. If you are a good cook and like to be challenged and produce some amazing dishes then you may find this book a little basic. However, if you are cooking for a family and want everyday recipes that you will all enjoy and will not take ages to cook, then this book is for you. I

I would also really recommend this book for people with children at weaning stage. The recipes are helpful and the finger food recipes are handy - my children will certainly still enjoy them now!
on 19 April 2014
My daughter had already purchased this cookbook and she was impressed with the recipes and layout, and had tried a few of the recipes when I visited with her. I was also impressed so decided to purchase a copy. The recipes are easy to follow and the grandchildren have liked all the food we have made for them from this cookbook. A definite recommendation, particularly for family cooking.
on 26 September 2015
I am the type of person who loves to purchase books with dreams of spending hours being inspired by luscious photo's of food and craft that I will hopefully have time to create and fulfil my desires. Unfortunately, due to pressures of work and family commitments, I have a book case full of cook books that will eventually gather dust and sadly not achieve the attention they deserve.

I bought this very large cook book two years ago when it was known as "Feed the Family" for the meagre price of £7 (through a works book club) and instantly I was drawn to the ease of ingredients and recipes used. Indeed, it was lovely to recognise many comfort recipes from my childhood days in the 70's and 80's with alternatives that are wholesome and healthy.

For a basic cook like myself, this book has a page per recipe with a clear photo (which is important to me) and all ingredients used are what most people have, or COULD have in their cupboards/fridge/freezer without spending a fortune at their local supermarket. There is potential for aspiring cooks to develop on the recipes to create their own dishes so it really will not date for the majority of cooks out there.

I really cannot recommend this book enough. I own well over 20 cook books, many of which I have never used. This book just has a unique charm which makes you feel that you would never need to own another cook book at all. I have two daughters, one of which will go to university next year, and wants to take this book with her. My youngest is a keen cook and finds the recipes enjoyable to do, hence, I have bought two more copies for them to carry the love of food into the future with them.

Buy this book. It is brilliant. Buy it soon. It cost me £7 two years ago. My regret is that it has now cost me £20 each for two more copies this year. Saying that, it is still very much worth buying now, before it disappears from the book shelves.
on 1 October 2013
This cookbook has some fab tips for dealing with fussy toddlers, faddy eaters and for catering for people with allergies. All of this plus over 700 family recipes make it the perfect book for busy parents who want to cook nutritious meals for their family. I love the fact each recipe shows the nutritional info for 1 serving, and the handy Veggie and Freezer Safe symbols are helpful too.
on 13 July 2014
Love this recipe book! I usually only take advantage of a handful of recipes in most books but this is so full of simple to make recipes, Ive had it for a couple of months and havent had a chance to try everything we want yet! Great for family everyday meals, entertaining and special treats its got everything! Just flicking through the pictures makes you hungry!
on 11 June 2016
An absolutely wonderful cookbook. The recipes are easy to make, the instructions are clear, the results are scrumptious. I like the diversity: lots of Italian and Greek recipes but also classic roasts, wholesome one-pot stews, amazing Chinese, all good good. Some recipes are very fast to prepare and cook, others are fast to prepare and take a bit longer to cook (e.g. lamb) but none require high level of technical skill. Most of the ingredients can be found in a local shop, so very easy to source. Also, it contains lots of fabulous breakfast ideas. Oat, wholemeal flour and apple pancakes are particularly good and have become our morning staple. I bought my book 2 years ago, it hasn't fallen apart but is covered in stains as I use it daily. I would like to buy a new copy for my child as an heirloom becaue the book has helped us to create a family tradition of cooking and eating together.
on 25 November 2013
What a brilliant cookbook - just what I was looking for. Full of brilliant family meals ideas - quick & simple. Loads of ace photos. I will be getting my family to pick a meal a week from this book and trying loads of different ideas!
on 14 December 2014
I bought this book due to lack of knowledge or skills in the kitchen and with a fussy partner and a 3 year old I wanted to be able to cater for all of us without making different meals.

I must say I was pleasantly surprised the book was much larger than I expected but cram packed with lots of different recipes and ideas which was great, admittedly most of the recipes are a bit too adventurous for me my partner and my son but it did have some traditional recipes in amongst the adventurous one which is what I was looking for to gain my confidence in cooking but I would also say I will definitely try out some of the adventurous recipes because we all know any recipe can be tweaked to accommodate for people's likes and dislikes.

My most praised section of this book that I came to find whilst flicking through is each recipe has the nutritional information I.E calories, fat, fibre etc but what has made my life so much easier is it tells you the carbohydrate values which I struggle to find in other recipe books! And with a 3 year old type one diabetic toddler I am forever trying to work out carbohydrate values of his meals which can be a tedious task and now I don't have to do it thanks to this amazing book and very considerate author.

This may be a little too adventurous for some families but it is perfect for mine.
on 6 July 2016
Brilliant cook book. I have many cookbooks which I've read & looked at pictures & maybe made a couple of the dishes in them but I have made loads already from this book. They have all been simple to make with fabulous end result and all yes all the family have enjoyed them. There is no fussy ingredients or hard to follow methods so a real success, I am very pleased I bought the book I was getting stuck in making the same dishes not really thinking of new ones. The only criticism is the bit for babies is not needed for us but it is probably helpful for many other people.