Key Words: Flash cards
Format: Cards|Change

VINE VOICEon 7 May 2011
Content synopsis, ideas and words used:

Enclosed advice card outlines how best to use, listing all 100 Key Words; in the order in which they should be introduced. Taken from this card:

" You can begin by selecting words important to your child, making your own cards if necessary. These could include your child's name, the name of their pet or 'mummy'. Explain what the words say and talk about the letters and sounds. Can your child recognise the words as you hold up the cards? Can he or she pick them out from a small group of other flash cards?"

" You can also use the cards to make short sentences together: I am big/little. It is old/new. We have one/two. You can see Peter and Jane doing this in book 4C ".

All lower case in their groups according to the first word in each pair...

a/ can, and/ came, he/ could, I/ come, in/ do, is/ did, it/ first, of/ down, that/ get, the/ from, to/ him, was/ have.

All/ not, are/ his, as/ one, at/ on, be/ so, but/ said, for/ we, had/ they, with/ has, you/ go.

About/ here, an/ her, back/ into, been/ if, before/ like, big/ just, by/ look, call/ little, made/ went, make/ well, me/ what, more/ were, much/ where, must/ when, my/ who, new/ which, no/ will, now/ your, off/ some, old/ she, only/ them, or/ their, other/ there, our/ then, out/ two, over/t his, right/ want, see/ up.

Card Height 10 cm Length 15.5 cm. Flexible thin card with laminated wipeable finish and rounded edges.

An example of letter size ' l ' height 32 mm, ' m ' height 23 mm width 30 mm. Letters vary within these sizes, I hope this gives you an idea. Thickness of letters 3 mm and jet black. Card backgrounds are brilliant white.

I purchased two packs to give greater scope for sentence building. The second pack also allows for games such as 'snap' and 'go fishing/memory to be played (blu tacking a piece of paper over the sides not needed). Also a group of cards can be laid out and one duplicate card at a time given to be matched. We use these with the Key Words box set of the first six ladybird books.

These Flash Cards are a superb asset and we shall definitely continue to purchase this reading scheme. It doesn't matter which reading scheme is used at school, we feel the Ladybird system is a sound foundation. Word reinforcement and sentence construction with clear understanding is quickly gained. We most highly recommend these cards and Ladybird.
0Comment| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 January 2014
These are ideal for helping a child learn to read. I used these to teach my children to read at ages 2 and 3, as a second stage of the process. For the first stage I used thick red felt tip pen on A4 paper, and labelled everything at home. Once they could read a good number of words I reduced the size of the text while increasing the vocabulary. Then the flash cards came into their own, as a fun game where the kids had to shout out the word as fast as possible. They loved it. Now my grandson is learning to read.
on 2 May 2015
A great set of flash cards to accompany the keyword series. They are a nice size for young children to hold and are pretty study feeling. The only downside is like another reviewer said that it has the words on both sides of the card. But overall a good set.
on 11 November 2016
These are great although I wish they had been designed a) in horizontal strops rather than bigger rectangles as they did when I was a kid and b) they weren't double sided. Double sided makes it harder to find the words you're looking for, trickier to use and you can't collect all the words the guild has learned as they have other words on the back they might not have learned yet. Also why are the words Peter and Jane missing? However love the reading programme and wouldn't use anything else.
on 24 August 2017
Great for 3 year olds. Old fashioned flash cards are a fun way into letter and word recognition.
on 22 October 2011
I bought these along with the box set of the first six books for my two and a half year old son. I started by picking out a few of the words that appeared in the first book and when he recognised them I read the book to him and pointed out the words that he knew. I only ever taught him when he showed interest and I never pushed him but after just a couple of months he can read the first two books easily by himself. I can't recommend these cards (and the books!) enough. Now that he knows quite a lot of the words we spread them out on the floor and make sentences out of them so they're fun too.
on 28 October 2016
Far superior way to teach children compared to some modern techniques. Start using these as soon as your child becomes interested in words to lay strong foundations in reading and comprehension.
on 1 October 2017
Written in the familiar font to go with the Peter & Jane reading scheme.
on 27 September 2014
I'm teaching a grandchild to read. He likes these. I like these. It's a way of checking that he hasn't simply memorised the Ladybird books we are working through. They feel nice, look nice and do the job.
on 20 July 2017
Great product. Thank you for the prompt delivery.