Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 31 July 2017
Great books. Grandaughter who is 5yrs old reads them well. Takes me back to the original ones.
on 20 July 2017
Great product. Thank you for the prompt delivery.
on 10 March 2017
Great first learn to read book.
on 5 March 2017
It is a very good book to support preschool kids to read and learn new words
on 26 April 2017
Again, still the best way to learn to read after all these years.
Excellent condition.
all best,
Celeste Fitt
on 6 October 2010
I was coerced into getting these for my five year old - his grandfather suggested them to me. My little boy is doing phonics in school, but has struggled because 'some words don't sound as they should'

The Peter and Jane are completely different and work on repetition of word : I see the dog, You see the dog, We see the dog etc, etc. As the books go by, the repetitions become less and the words become more complex. We bought the series and do a couple of pages each night. There was some resentment to begin with, but we're becoming a happier reader now.

The pictures that illustrate the pages are wonderful and depict an England from another era.
on 4 August 2016
very good for helping children to read.
my 6 year old has sensory processing disorder and has been struggling with recognising words and phonics was not helping.
i came across these when searching for something else to help my daughter learn to read and based on some other reviews decided to try peter and jane and this book has been a huge help daughter quickly finished this one within the week of starting it and can read this one by herself.
the words are repeated so the children can recognise and pick up reading easier.
my daughter did very well with this book and have moved on to 1b and have brought 1c.
the pictures in this book are nice too my daughter likes to look at them and we talk about what is going on.
on 11 April 2010
We live in France and my eldest is learning to read in French using phonics. They start to read a lot later in France (hes now 7) and we were keen to teach him to read English too but didn't want to confuse him by teaching the English phonics, many of which are different sounds. Having read the reviews on Peter and Jane (which is how both my husband and I learnt to read) we felt the key word system used was the perfect solution. We purchased the first 4 sets of 3 books. They are fantastic, he wizzed through the first set and it gave him so much confidence he is really keen to continue. We are now working through set 2 and he loves it. I have bought many English phonic books and really did not like the silly names (Chip, Biff etc)and stopped using them when my son started reading at school. I do not understand the comments that the Peter and Jane stories are boring / old fashioned, both my 4 and 7 yr olds love them - they are real, things they do themselves in real life like going to the toy shop, buying a fish, going to a farm.

Definately purchase/ work through them in order 1A, 1B, 1C, 2A, 2B etc etc. 1A introduces a few words and uses repetition which gives the child huge amounts of confidence as they recognise each word on the page, 1B continues using the same words but in different ways, 1C uses all the words and also has excercises for writing and phrase recognition, tying it altogether and making you and the child confident that they really do know the new words they have learnt and arn't just guessing or remembering.

I have now purchased the next 4 sets as I am sure he will work through them quickly. Highly recommended.
on 12 April 2014
As a kid in the 80s I had the Peter and Jane books growing up and was delighted to find that they still produce them. I ordered the first 3 books in the series as my daughter (4yrs) is learning to read and she has picked up the words very quickly and I find when she is given books at school her reading is progressing very quickly as a result of the series. Star buy!
on 10 May 2012
I learnt how to read with Peter and Jane, and so did my sisters and brothers. Seeing them on Amazon made me feel so nostalgic that I starting buying them for my 4 year old daughter. She also loves the books, and is reading like a champ.