on 2 April 2015
If you are a James Rollins fan, don't get your hopes up for another rousing foray into the world of intelligent and skilled operatives thwarting the bad guys. "Co-written" by Grant Blackwood, it is obvious from the first page that The Kill Switch is not from Rollins' pen. Rollins introduced us to Tucker Wayne in an earlier novel but Blackwood hasn't the skill to do the character justice. The writing is disjointed, the characters two-dimensional and it is poorly researched and edited. The premise of the story, finding the granddaddy of all plant life, is interesting enough, but the author gives only the most basic scientific references and in comparison with the Sigma Series this book seems very much "dumbed down". The characters' reasoning is often a mystery and thought processes are included as an after thought (pun not intended) rather than as a cohesive part of the narrative. I struggled to find a chapter without at least one ineptly crafted sentence that raised the hackles of my grammatically correct inner self (i.e. "he replaced the rocks back where they had been" "to whoever finds this"). I was very disappointed with this book and very disappointed that James Rollins is going the way of James Patterson.
on 5 July 2014
A novel that keeps you in suspense till the very end. The author gives a vivid insight as to what military dogs and their handlers are asked to do to protect their country, and persecuted individuals who are wanted by the enemy for their scientific knowledge which could be used as biological weapons that could wipe out humanity as we know it.
I'm delighted that James Rollins plans further novels featuring Captain Wayne and his Belgian Shepherd dog Kane. An excellent read
on 30 April 2016
I always say that a book, regardless of the subject matter, is always made more enjoyable by having an animal as one of the main characters (dogs especially). This book is certainly no exception to the rule.
As a James Rollins fan, I was not disappointed.... Kane and his bond with Tucker make this book a great start to what I hope will be as long standing a series as the Sigma novels. I look forward to the next installment
on 7 June 2014
Tucker and Kane were ok as part of the Sigma team, but I did not find them strong enough characters to hold this plot together. The military canine abilities whilst incredible do wear thin after a while. The general plot was ok but dragged on and overall I found this a bit of a chore.
on 30 May 2015
I am a big James Rollins fan, having read all of his books and always eagerly waiting for his next new book.
This was no exception to his brilliant story telling, mingling action and adventure with science. Great book!!
on 3 June 2014
I am really enjoying reading these books with these latest characters especially the dog Kane. It's a different slant on his books. The tale is great and so exciting that I could not put it down. A really good read. Can hardly wait for the next one with Turner and Kane. Great stuff.
on 21 June 2014
After reading a Short Story I wanted to know more about both man and dog. I was not disappointed by this tale. Excellent story telling from both perspectives, man and dog. A GREAT READ. Recommended to every type of reader.
on 28 July 2016
Bought this ages ago and forgot I had it. Mr Rollins has done it again with another fantastic story in cahoots with Mr Blackwood. I love this partnership so much more than the Rebecca Cantrell, but each to their own. Looking forward to the next book.
on 26 May 2014
The kill switch by James Rollins is another great book which is full of science and adventure, from the cold of Russia to the heat of Africa, one man and his dog must fight to save the world. An amazing team I look forward to their next adventure.
on 2 July 2014
James Rollins is one of my fave authors and I love Tucker and Kane! This book didn't disappoint, I didn't want it to end. Terrific romp of an action thriller.