on 22 October 2017
ok
on 1 October 2013
I have, over the years read all Maeve's books, so consequently had to have this one. I really enjoyed reading all about her earlier life. I am sure I am not alone in saying how much we miss her...... Rest in peace Maeve.
on 30 September 2013
I was reading Maeve's articles long before she published her first book and could not wait for Saturday to read her latest Irish Times column. This selection is a little gem of articles full of the wit and wisdom we come to expect from her. It's almost like she was talking directly to you, the reader, as is her inimitable style. A book you can dip in and out of and one which all her fans will enjoy. Loved it!
on 6 October 2013
I have always been a fan of Maeve Binchy. I loved her books, especially the earlier ones. I loved her style of writing, and admired her fantastic imagination and her ability to involve you in her characters. I had an open mind regarding "Maeve's Times" I had no high expectations and was very pleased when I listened to it. She shares her early life at school and the pressures on her to do well in the Leaving Cert exams as she was the eldest in the family. She got two honours, and surprisingly only a pass in English. There are hilarious stories of her time as a teacher, and her early experiences as a writer for the Irish times. She shares her ideas for "would be writers" to get started writing by developing the habit of writing just the way you speak. Indeed that was just her style, don't stop and think and think, say it aloud and then put it on paper. She also comments on current affairs of various times and again I found it interesting to get her slant on them. My favourite parts were various stories of people she had either met or had observed, some of them made me laugh out loud. I feel that this final book is a very fitting tribute to her and I am grateful that her husband, Gordon Snell, made this possible. It is certainly different from her story books, but it is just Maeve, and I for one enjoyed this book I will miss her and will cherish her fabulous books.
on 31 October 2013
I did not want this book to end because I knew there would be no more. It seemed a fitting end to an amazing list of marvellous reads. I have read everything Maeve wrote and feel so sad that I can no longer look forward to her next book. R.I.P. Maeve Binchy we love and miss you.
on 29 October 2015
I bought the audible version.

A patchwork of people, events and random musings collected together from articles by Maeve Binchy over the last 40 years or so. Thoughtful, humorous, honest, sometimes poignant but always written in her particular 'voice'. She had a particular skill in pinpointing foibles and affectations, was always self effacing and paints a vibrant and lively picture, whatever she writes about. A real trip down memory lane with articles about Royal weddings, politicians, Dublin and London life and much more. Interesting and enjoyable.
on 27 September 2013
Just when I thought there would be no more writing from the wonderful Maeve B, along comes this book.
An absolute must for all Maeve Binchy fans! Couldnt put it down.
on 4 October 2013
Short stories that can easily be related to, amusingly written. A very readable book with interesting thoughts on everyday occurrences.
on 7 October 2013
I rarely laugh out loud when reading but Maeve's brilliant summing up of situations almost always giving them a very humourous twist had me giggling with delight. Please could we have more from her writings! I grew up when she did and , therefore, can appreciate the ambience she describes with such accuracy but feel this collection will appeal to readers of all ages.
on 23 September 2013
Gives you good ideas where Maeve Binchy got her ideas for all her wonderful works. How the world has changed in Ireland!