on 12 September 2015
This is an excellent book and the author feels like a friend. I had suffered insomnia for a number of months and having had spells of four sleepless nights I had resorted to intermittent sleeping tablet use. Having followed the advice in this book, which is mindfulness based, I have now had a number of months with good sleep and no sleeping tablets. It is well worth trying and allows you to stay in bed unlike the CBT method. I would strongly recommend.
on 5 August 2016
I have suffered from recurring severe insomnia for all of my adult life, and after a particularly bad relapse recently I decided I had to seek a lasting solution. Dr Guy's approach is precisely what I have always been looking for - one that does not pile on more rules and strategies for sleeping but that allows one to simply abandon the struggle to sleep and let the body's completely natural ability to sleep take over. My interpretation of the first three parts of Dr Guy's five points are 1) to realise that it's our struggle to sleep that is preventing us from doing so (i.e. we really need to do nothing), 2) use mindfulness techniques to see our worries about sleep as separate from us and enable us not to get carried away with them and 3) move towards and actually welcome those worries about sleep. It has been eight days since I read the book (which only took an afternoon) and my sleep has improved by 70 percent and is still improving. To achieve results with this programme (which will not be immediate), one will actually have to have some bad nights' sleep to employ the tools and fully buy into the philosophy, including by doing the (minimal) mindfulness exercises in the day and night. To reinforce my understanding of the book I also downloaded the app (which has some helpful audio exercises on mindfulness) and went to a one to one session with Dr Guy himself, who was able to offer his insight into my insomnia and answer some questions I had about following his programme. I cannot recommend the Sleep School and Book highly enough - this man could and should be knighted for services to insomniacs!
on 8 May 2015
I read an article about insomnia in the paper which recommended two approaches - CBT and this one, which is not CBT. I decided to go with this method and I'm massively glad I did. I've suffered awful bouts of insomnia for about 20 years on and off. I can honestly say this book has changed my life in that I no longer use sleeping pills or suffer in the same way. My sleep has improved by about 70 percent and I only purchased this book about two weeks ago. Dr Meadows totally gets it. He completely understands how the mind makes insomnia worse and his approach is all about working with what's going on in your mind and the effect it has on you as you are struggling to get to sleep. I'm not cured but insomnia doesn't have the hold it had over me and I have new found confidence about going to sleep. However, this book will not be for everyone. You do have to believe in the approach and it is about facing your insomnia head on and it may be uncomfortable and it definitely requires practice. I've had nights where it was worse at first and I thought it wasn't helping so you have to be prepared to hang in there and keep at it. Most times though I've had almost instant relief from worry. My insomnia is made worse by unhelpful thoughts so if you also have this, I hope this book will help you as it's helped me. If you've ever done mindfulness and found it helpful you will easily take to this.
I'm now getting about 6-7 hours a night, and even if I don't - I don't sweat and worry like I did, I'm so much more relaxed. I now quite enjoy falling asleep. I've booked to go on his workshop but I probably don't need to as the book is enough. But to be honest I'm so grateful I would pay the workshop fee just to tell him in person.
on 2 April 2014
I attended Guy's Sleep School a month ago and followed up by purchasing his book. I must say I was quite sceptical at first during the sleep school session, but as time went on during the day, I became more and more convinced that his methods could possibly work!! I have found the book very helpful as it confirms all and more that Guy covered in the daily session. I can actually say that I have purchased the book for my son and am about to purchase another copy for a friend. I know Guy said this was no easy fix and I appreciate that but I can also say that I have already felt some improvement in my sleep pattern so THANKS GUY.
on 24 February 2015
best price found for this book was i recommended this book by a consultant at the the hospital
on 25 March 2014
I'm sure i'm no different to many people who for one reason or another can't get a good nights sleep, either have trouble getting to sleep, or wake up i the night, then can't get back to sleep.
Also have tried many over the counter remedies, and some obscure concoctions, legal or not.
Well after reading Dr Guy's sleep book its so obvious what a waste of time money and energy these attempts through the use of "drugs" were.
The system he uses, "mindfulness" works, for Me 100%.
You must try it, it worked almost right away for me, perhaps i'm a willing patient.
What ever you do please read the whole book.
Don't give up, its absolutely worth it.
on 4 October 2014
I would like to give Dr guy meadows a big hug, as this book has completely changed the way I feel about sleep. I would recommend it to anyone that has suffered or is suffering from insomnia. There are no pills or potions involved the only thing you need to do is change the way you think!!! I have tried many many things in the past but this book was a revelation to me. It is not a quick fix and you have to do exactly what Dr Meadows says, but when you do you will find that his advice works, it takes away the FEAR of not sleeping.
on 11 February 2015
Didn't help me sleep any better and followed all steps. I suppose it taught me how to accept the lack of sleep. But I certainly affects your whole life.
on 12 March 2015
This is an amazing concept. Having been an insomniac for 35 years I thought I was beyond help. Bought this book a month ago, which led me to attend Dr. Guy's one day workshop. If you are an insomniac, don't miss this opportunity to change your life, I will be forever grateful to him. The regime is contrary to all accepted sleep cures, takes commitment and is not a five minute wonder, but it works.
on 17 December 2016
Offers a week-by-week guide to ending sleepless nights. Uses a variety of different approaches and is recommended by clients at the Sleep School. Easy to read and follow. I am pleased with this book and would buy again.