on 23 November 2014
This is a great collection of ghostly tales, each of which has their origin in folk legends or is inspired by Kate Mosse’s own experiences, set mainly in either the English countryside or in France. The anthology comprises 14 stories and a short screenplay, each one accompanied by a short explanation as to Kate’s inspiration for the story. As with any collection, the reader will have a preference for some stories over others, and I found that I much preferred the English stories to the French ones. I found two of the French tales very macabre and did not like these much at all; The Ship of the Dead and the Drowned Village and neither did I like Duet very much as I found it confusing and rather bizarre. On the other hand, my favourite was The Yellow Scarf; inspired by the same folk tale as the eponymous story, this worked really well for me as I could ground my belief in it. I loved The Revenant and its central theme of someone returning to set the story straight and get their own back. St Therese had faint similarities with both these stories involving women displaying assertiveness and strength after many years of subjugation, one from beyond the grave. I found myself cheering for both these oppressed women. Many of the stories were also rooted in real life history, for example the story of the Cathars which Kate Mosse has used in the Winter Ghosts and other books. Lastly, The Princess Alice, whilst enjoying the story for what it was, has helped me illuminate the past of one of my own ancestors who also grew up in Deptford in the Victorian era so I was delighted to find this in the collection. These stories provide a good read for the weeks between Halloween and Christmas. 4.5.
on 4 January 2015
I thought The Mistletoe Bride and other Haunting Tales was a great collection of stories. Every story was strong and I enjoyed all of them. I found a few of the stories really stood out as something a bit special. The title story, The Mistletoe Bride was very sad and I loved the fact it was narrated by a ghost. I thought The Drowned Village was very creepy and unsettling. The Ship of the Dead, The Revenant and The Princess Alice were all remarkable stories. The Yellow Scarf is based on the same legend as The Mistletoe Bride and I loved how different the stories are. The other stories were very good.

I loved the fact Kate Mosse includes an author’s note after each story that explains how the story came about, the sources of inspiration and if the story was published elsewhere. As a writer myself, I love to know how other writers work.
on 17 May 2016
As a huge fan of 'Winter's Ghosts' I was expecting great things from this book. However while some of the short stories work really well, some do not deserve to be in this book at all, in particular 'Why the Yew Tree Lives so Long' and 'Melisande.'

These may have been better if they had been edited more proficiently but instead I did a lot of skipping of pages to get to a decent story.

More care and attention would have resulted in a far better book, one worth the money. Sorry Kate, as I generally love your work.
on 9 September 2014
I don't usually go for books full of short stories, but I was interested in what spin Kate Mosse would put on the Mistletoe Bride story (as several houses in England and further afield claim to have the original chest and be the setting for the story). Apart from that story they were a mixed bag - some good, some not so good. I particularly found the last one difficult to read, as it was a play and written in dialogue.

Not my favourite book by Miss Mosse but glad I read it.
2 people found this helpful
on 26 June 2016
Wonderful book. Read Kate Mosses 'Labyrinth' when it was released in 2005 and became a firm favourite that was read again and again. This book will certainly be read more than once...
A collection of short stories, so if you're pushed for time and don't like to put book down in middle of chapter this is ideal. Illustrated with some lovely etchings too, it is a collection of stories inspired by classic folklore and ghost stories. Loved it.
on 15 November 2017
This is a brilliant collection of short stories. There is only a couple of tales that I wasn't over keen on. But overall I loved this book. My personal favourite being Red Letter Day.
I also like the way that The Mistletoe Bride was told later on in the book from a different perspective.
on 10 February 2014
I really enjoyed this book. Purchased as the first title for my Kindle I decided to get something with short stories to get into how the Kindle works.

Some were considerably longer than others, but I can safely say I enjoyed every single story from this collection and was often left thinking about the events told.
I particularly liked reading the Author's notes to see where she got the inspiration from and how they relate to other myths or memories of her own experiences. I may have to look into some of the myths they stem from as they are so interesting.

There is a strong theme of loss and grief, and a sense of people and historical events living on in the foundations of the place they belonged in. But despite this I wouldn't say it was a scary read, it's just some are slightly darker and more mysterious than others. However, if you enjoyed Mosse's other books I would reccomend this.
on 6 September 2014
Great if you like short stories, as these are the perfect length for a bit of reading before bedtime. I love Labyrinth and Sepulchre; in fact everything Kate Mosse has written previously, but you don't need to be familiar with her work to enjoy this. The writing style is so different from her novels that I'd never have guessed she was the author had I not known.

The only downside is that, if you're a fan of horror, you might be disappointed. These stories are not really scary at all. In fact they're so tame I leant the book to my wimp of a mother, who still (at the age of 59) sleeps with the landing light on and won't have her window open in summer for fear of vampire bats flying in!

If you like to be mildly creeped out rather than outright scared, this is the book for you though. The stories are all are very well written and worth it for the price of the book too.
on 11 January 2014
I be never read any of Kate mosses books before and this is my first the stories are quite good although I felt that they did start to falter the further through the book I got I thought the title story was the very best out of all of them however to be fair I did enjoy reading them they are more atmospheric than actually chilling to be honest I would read more of her books as she does write a good story but given the choice of ghost story writers I prefer m r James as he is a true master of the genre nevertheless I would recommend the mistletoe bride as it does have it's good points
on 6 April 2016
Well, because this is Kate Mosse it gets the thumbs up from me, although I don't normally go for short stories. However, I was in hospital and needed something that wasn't going to require great brain retention skills. There is no doubt that she is a brilliant writer and even her short stories have well rounded characters, what's more she is very careful with her research.