Customer reviews

The Mistletoe Bride and Other Haunting Tales
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 20 April 2017
Haunting, as in lingering like shadows when you’ve finished the book entirely, The Mistletoe Bride and Other Haunting Tales by Kate Mosse is a lovely read. Nothing gorey or horrific, the book is filled with winsome characters and haunted houses…buildings that hold secrets, and spirits that connect with the living. The author, who takes her inspiration for these stories from English and French legend and folklore, has also included notes on each story, and one play, which gives the reader some insight. A delightful collection to dip in and out of, especially on a winter night, with candles casting shadows and the wind tapping at your window…
on 10 August 2017
Nearly finished this book - great short stories by Kate Mosse
on 10 October 2017
My misses says it was a good read.
on 13 September 2017
Another great read.
on 20 June 2015
I'm really, really sorry to do this as I always try and find some redeeming feature in a book, but really, this simply doesn't have one. The writing style is amateurish, the stories are some of the most trite, clichéd and just plain boring I've ever read, and I gave up well before the end - and I never give up on a book, but this one beat me.

I love short stories, but these are the kind of things I'd expect to read in the pages of a Take A Break style magazine - clunky, laboured, awkward, predictable: it reminded me of the kind of stuff I was submitting to competitions when I was in the 6th form... And I'm sorry, but the cover says 'haunting' - haunting? I've felt more haunted in the biscuit aisle of my local supermarket. I feel so cheated by this book that I'm not even going to give it to the charity shop as I'd hate anyone else to have to waste as much time as I did discovering that it's just not worth the effort.

Sorry, Kate, but if I could give it no stars, I would. I read that your novels are better - maybe I'll try one of those.
on 5 March 2014
this was a enjoyable collection of short stories. enjoyed them. would recommend if you like something very different to read
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 August 2014
This is the best collection of short stories that I have read in a very long time. All of the tales have a slightly ghostly or supernatural theme to them. Some include a mere hint which may be explained away while others are full ghost stories.
A large number of stories in this book left me wanting to know more - what led up to the events which unfolded and what happened afterwards. As they were short stories, however, I was left to my own imagination. The title story, for example, tells of a Tudor bride who disappears on her wedding day.We get just a glimpse of the events leading up to annd after the disappearance but I wanted to know more about the search and the ripples that her disappearance caused. Of course, leaving the reader wanting more is exactly what a short story should do!
All of the stories in the book are clearly titled and include the place and date of the events. I was pleased about this as it saves the reader a lot of time and effort in placing these in time and place. After each story the author has included a brief explanation as to why she wrote the story. Some are based on folk legends, including the Mistletoe Bride. Some of the stories are extrapolations of her own experiences and some were written for a specific event or publication.
These may be short stories but Kate Mosse has not excluded any of the attention to detail found in her novels. In a few brief paragraphs she gives enough information for the reader to be able to envisage the scene described. This was also helped by giving the date and place of the story.
An excellent collection which I thoroughly enjoyed. If you enjoyed these why not progress onto her longer ghost story "The Winter Ghosts".
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 30 December 2013
Owning this in hardback is a true 'old fashioned' pleasure. The quality of presentation, photography and art work lift it back into the category of books to keep on the shelf.

A beautifully written collection, generous to the reader with each story simply set in a certain time and place, listed below an exquisite pen and ink drawing. Prefaced by an appropriate and touching attributed quotation, and finished off with Authors Notes that clearly explain the inspiration and source of each perfect tale.

I read it each one separately, they leave you wanting to think over what you have experienced and mull over the neat completeness of their substance.

Several felt entirely possible - especially the one about the little fishing village, although set in France as so many of the stories, it felt Celtic enough to be Cornwall. Another had the flavour of a recent tv series 'The Returned'. My favourites were the two based on the Mistletoe Bride, their sadness seeped through the pages with a pull of a pathetic tale that has gripped imaginations for centuries.

I'd heard Kate Mosse talking about this book on Radio 4 and was thrilled to receive it as a Christmas gift.
on 6 November 2013
I adored the Languedoc trilogy but didn't like The Winter Ghosts at all.

I bought this with some hesitation, worried that I wouldn't really like it if it was on a par with Winter Ghosts; I'm sad to say is just wasn't for me at all. It starts off well with The Mistletoe Bride, The House on the Hill, Red Letter Day and The Drowned Village but when I started Why the Yew Tree Lives So Long I became a little tedious for me and I felt it was a chore reading the other stories, rather than an enjoyment.

I limped to the finishing post somewhat reluctantly as I thought it might improve but, to my regret, it didn't.

I thought the whole thing very strange indeed and there was a definite lack of haunting to any of the stories.

If you enjoyed Winter Ghosts then this is for you, if not avoid it.

Sorry Kate, I did try and like it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 8 December 2013
THE MISTLETOE BRIDE AND OTHER HAUNTING TALES is a fantastic collection of short stories by Kate Mosse. As her introduction states, some of the tales have been printed elsewhere previously, and at the end of each tale she provides an insight into her inspiration for the tales. She also tracks how these short tales show how she would later develop into the writer of books such as LABYRINTH. Now, before going further, perhaps a word of caution; if you come to THE MISTLETOE BRIDE expecting and hoping for horror tales with obvious chills, you will be disappointed. The tales here are haunting but they are not overly scary. They don't need to be. A tale which haunts the reader stays with them long after they have finished its pages, swirling around in your mind, pushing at your imagination.

As with all collections of short stories, there are some which I preferred to others. My personal favourites were "The Mistletoe Bride", "The Drowned Village", "On Harting Hill" and "The Ship of the Dead". However, all tales have something different to offer and something pleasing to find within them.

I would strongly recommend this book to others.