Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 July 2013
This paperback novel is a reprinting of the previously-issued hardback "Clash of Empires: The Red Sea" - it says so on the back of the paperback, but not on Amazon. This is the second time I've been caught out by a reprint with a different title and no warning, and I'm very angry. I've given the rating I gave the hardback so as not to skew the results; it's still a good read, so if you haven't read the original, by all means try it.

I see a note has now been added, following my complaint; well done Amazon - I don't blame you for the omission.
on 9 September 2013
This is the first novel of this period I have read and found the story interesting and absorbing. I was more suprised to learn that the basic outline story of the book was true. All in all it was a great read and filled in some gaps in my knowledge of history. Last but not least the price was great if you own a kindle.
on 10 August 2013
I love fiction based on history, and this book is good. It takes you back to the times of the knights of Malta and the battles raging between the different countries and islands in the Name of religion and greed, supremacy was the goal of the powerful leaders of that time. The travels, battles and adventures are very well written and draw the reader into a thrilling adventure, one that keeps you reading on well after lights out snooze time.
on 13 February 2014
I quite enjoyed this book and the historical timeline The disappointment came with the main characters storyline which started in the first novel 'Clash of Empires - The Great Siege' then seemed to fizzle out and it somehow felt that it was a little rushed, especially towards the conclusion, as if it had to meet the printers deadline.... The Author could have least got another good book to complete the trilogy out of this storyline.... Shame..
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 February 2014
It was an easy read and even easier if you had read his first book of the duo. It finished the tale well. The fighting scenes certainly got my imagination racing and I think that's what an author hopes for in his readers.
on 19 August 2013
True to history except for a few tweaks a well told story that keeps the interest alive to the end. It recalls how cruel
They were throughout the Middle Ages.
on 12 August 2013
I love reading about these battles that had such an impact on our history without ever having heard of them before. is that my bad education. For this I thank William Napier. I do think the book could have done with more character building on the part of Nicholas and Hodge. Such great opportunities to make them Frodo and Sam types with the confrontation at the end only lasting a paragraph. Tolkein's best bit is when they remove Saruman from Hobbiton for me. Well worth the read though.
on 26 September 2013
Excellent , well written book ,an absolute page Turner. I have read many books about this period of history, this is amongst the very bet.
on 27 April 2014
I couldn't wait to begin this book having been left in limbo at the end of the last with young Ingoldsby and Hodge and wondering what would happen to them. I wasn't disappointed. Their fictitious lives were wrapped up nicely!
William Napier never fails to capture my attention and I love his way of describing the awful atrocities men inflicted on one another in those days with a style that is bearable to read but realistic and informative.
I found myself constantly searching goole maps to see where they were at each stage of events and the graphic descriptions made it all seem so real.
Thoroughly good read.
on 13 August 2013
A very enjoyable tail following on from the siege of Malta. Makes history personal and gives a reality to the suffering and cruelty of war.