Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 October 2013
My copy arrived yesterday and I have been unable to put it down till finished. I haven't found a celebrity auto-biography so open and well written ever before.

Ronnie comes across as intelligent, warm and human and the insight into professional snooker is fascinating. It is written in a very personal style - so you can almost hear him talking. For a snooker fan it's an unmissable book - its great to get his insight into the way other high profile snooker stars play. And what he has to say about handling all the problems life has thrown at him will be inspirational and helpful to many people.

Ronnie, if you read your reviews, thanks for such a great book and for all the years of brilliant snooker we have enjoyed watching.
33 comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 October 2015
We all love Ronnie, not only because he is the greatest current snooker talent, but also because we can all see the demons that he is constantly battling - he wears his heart on his sleeve. In 'Running' he explains many of those demons and the battles he has with them. He also describes & explains many of the 'seen but misunderstood' actions and behaviours that have punctuated his career. All fascinating stuff, albeit from his own point of view (so not necessarily objective). Felt that I appreciated him even more after reading book. However, actual 'running' does nothing for me, so the chapters describing people and places that I didn't know and were of no interest to me were skipped over - except that they are clearly part of Ronnie's coping mechanisms, so are important to him. I still think that snooker tournaments are all about him, and they lose so much when he is not 'on form'. Long may he continue to entertain us; because we care about him, as well as his talent! A good read.
on 19 February 2015
This is enjoyable look into the life of a sporting genius. It is very honest account and has helped me see Ronnie in a different light. He has had many issues over the years and as an onlooker it has been sometimes difficult to sympathise with him given the talent he obviously has. But once you read this you understand how difficult life has been for him and trying to get the balance of family life and working life has been a constant battle. He doesn’t portray snooker players in a very positive light, it’s fascinating to hear about the different characters. He is brutally honest, he might not like the way some of the players play, but he always seems to have the respect for them. He not only wants to win, he wants to entertain. This book obviously covers a lot about his snooker life, but he also talks about his running with a real passion. I am a runner too, so I really enjoyed this. There is a real primitive pleasure from running, it is hard to explain to those that don’t do it, but he does a good job of describing what it means to him and how it has helped him. He seems more passionate about running than snooker. He is also a pretty decent runner, so he obviously has talent at whatever he seems to turn his hand to. I have heard him interviewed before and always enjoyed how honest and humble he seems. He talks with so much passion about his family too, especially his children, he really wants to do the best for them.

But snooker is his living, and getting the balance of family life and work sounds difficult, more so than many outsiders would imagine. So having read this I have really warmed to Ronnie, in a way that makes you want to just sit in a pub chatting about running and other random stuff. He is constantly trying to find the best to solution to his so called demons, but always honest and never shying away from the truth, which you have to respect.
on 21 August 2014
Enjoy reading about the famous/wellknown people I watch on TV and on DVD - especially if they have had an unpleasant upbringing or problems building their lives from very little. I find their inspirations and perseverance to reach a goal very heartwarming and humbling..
on 4 April 2016
Very readable, but don't expect there to be much about running! I appreciated Ronnie's openness, and he has some funny stories, but I was expecting a book about his running. Ronnie beat me at the Southern XC championships once, and I wanted to read more about that, about his training, and his road racing too. About how it made him feel, about his nerves, etc.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2014
Just read and pleasantly surprised,is an excellent read.As a snooker watcher i was interested to learn of some reasons behind his behaviour.His explanations make you see him a different light and understand why he did what he did. Defo recommend
on 30 April 2014
as a fan of autobiographies I thought I'd give this a go. it refers back to his earlier book which to be honest sounds like more fun than the running that this book focuses on a lot. Ronnie is a legend without doubt and an entertaining character and complex
on 3 February 2016
My interest in snooker is limited to the genius that is Ronnie!

This book is very conversational in tone (it appears to be ghost written via audio interviews). The structure reflects Ronnie's rather rambling speaking style - I know envy the person in charge of editing! But if you settle into the idea that you're sat in the pub with the man, without the ability to speak or challenge him when he contradicts himself, it's great. And who wouldn't want to be sat in the pub with Ron?

It is based around his passion for running - a passion I do not share (!) - but he uses the subject to give us new insights into his past issues with drugs and alcohol, mental and physical health. Also, insights into his heroes, including his relationship with Damien Hirst and other Rock'n'Roll tales.

Another great section is on his moments of apparent madness, where he explains several public incidents that sparked strange rumours about him. If you're a Ronnie or snooker fan, give it a read. If you're not, skim through to the juicy parts.
on 28 May 2014
I'm a Ronnie fan so loved it, felt like he was actually speaking through the book, no fancy words just straight talking. A bit of an eye opener in parts also. Would highly recommend. Downside too short - wanted more!!!!! Will need to wait for the next book. Go the Rocket
on 15 March 2014
Good value, paper quality is mediocre, but easily read.

Content, as with all biographies, is good if you have an interest in the subject.

Delivered in good time in perfect condition.