on 27 January 2013
After a long five year wait Ian Rankin has decided to bring back his most successful creation John Rebus. When I first read the news of Rebus's return I had a little bit of doubt. Could Rankin really pull it off and bring back one of my favourite ever detective and keep the magic of the previous books? Well I am happy to confirm that he most certainly has. Rebus has changed a little in the five years older but not all that wiser Rebus finds himself working in the unsolved crimes unit and drinking with an old enemy, he is also more isolated than maybe ever before, even finding ticket stubs to a concert he had been to previously brings on a dark mood that shows a more vulnerable side. However despite this darker side, the old Rebus soon pops his head up. Approached by a grieving mother and asked to look into the disappearance of her daughter Rebus is soon part of an active inquiry team trying to see if a link between other suspected victims has been missed. This reunites him and Siobhan and soon the magic does flow. I have always considered Rebus and Siobhan to be the best duo in crime fiction and this book reconfirms this for me. The pages that they are both on seem to fly by and the comedy, angst and general fiction that is between them is a highlight of the book. Siobhan is not the only Rankin creation that Rebus interacts with during the book. Fox, the star of Rankin's two complaints novels, makes an appearance and the chance to see Fox through the eyes of someone that he is investigating is fascinating and shocking. I was a big fan of Fox during the two complaints books but found myself disliking him during this book! All in all this was a wonderful read and I am very glad that Rebus is back! I would recommend this book to any fan of the crime genre and am excited for what Ian Rankin has in store for us this year.
on 4 March 2017
For 95℅ of this book you get Rebus and Rankin at their best; plot and characters develop nicely and the reader is drawn along the journey of the story with the characters. The plot itself is multilayered and cohesive, drawing many links between the main protagonists.
However, the denouement is contrived and disappointing; Rebus arrives at his conclusion with thin circumstantial evidence and the conviction that he 'knows it's him'. Are we accept that Rebus is clairvoyant, or has Rankin dropped to the plot lines of Cannon and Columbo where the detective does little more than jump to the right conclusion? We do not even explore the killer's motives or the darker side of his character. I am left with the feeling that Rankin got fed up with the story and just wanted to finish it off quickly.
on 10 March 2017
I got as far as reading all of the Rebus novels up to Exit Music in 2008 and then stopped; picking up a Rebus novel again, after so many years, is like renewing the acquaintance of a long lost friend.
Rebus is still the same maverick loner, ducking, diving and weaving, cutting corners and employing unorthodox and sometimes questionable methods to get the right result.
Great writing, good plot, with plenty of pace, action and twists and turns, albeit I thought the denouement was a bit contrived and naff.
on 1 January 2017
I've read and enjoyed all Rebus novels, in paperback format, up to and including Exit Music. This, however, was a disappoint with a weak plot and pathetic ending, bulked out with pointless paragraphs some written, I believe, by another 'author'. Does Rankin really need the money or is he contracted to produce this stuff even if his heart isn't in the task?
on 17 May 2017
At the moment I'm reading the penultimate book in the series and all have been superbly written by a great author , Ian Rankin
Whilst I'm reading I can imagine Ken Stott playing the role of Rebus, great actor.
Anyone who likes crime novels should read all of the books.
on 22 April 2017
He's a difficult man to get on with, but has got a great taste in music! These books never let you down, good storyline and good characters.
on 6 May 2017
Really enjoyed this book, only read one other by this author but would pick up more. It's gripping and fast paced
on 17 March 2017
A good bedtime read. Some of the character names take a bit of following but the storyline and writing are typical of the author. It is always a pleasure to read one of the Rebus stories and I look forward to my next one.
on 18 March 2017
Fair reading seemed to be a lot of repetitions driving to Inverness etc. and back to Edinburgh eventually that part a wee bit boring otherwise good plot but maybe new the murderer too soon!
on 23 January 2014
I have read all of the Inspector Rebus novels and have enjoyed them all, including this one.
If you have only just found this book I would recommend that you read the series first so you can get to know Inspector Rebus and his methods of solving cases. For all fans of Rebus you will not be disappointed with this book.