on 17 March 2014
This is a great read for fans of The Outlander series.
The book is basically 4 short stories about things mentioned in the Outlander book and The Lord John stories, but expanded a bit to give more of an insight into the person or event mentioned.
Bulges are what Diana Gabaldon herself calls them!! And a very good description it is too!!
A leaf on the wind of All Hallows, tells the story of Rogers parents during WWII, which we don't hear too much of in the main book.
The space Between, tells of the Comte St Germain, a tricky customer to say the least, we thought him dead, but was he?
The Custom of the Army, is a Lord John story. Following on the heels of an electric Eel party in London, Lord John is forced to flee.
And the final story is set in Jamaica where Lord John is sent to try and quell a revolt of escaped slaves, but certainly nothing is as it seems!
Bulges of a very interesting variety!!
on 12 May 2014
Here are another wonderful set of stories from the Wonderful Diana Gabaldon. These are what she calls bulges and expand some of the stories about the characters that add a little extra to the really big books that she has written. This book contains a story about Rogers father, Jerry MacKenzie, two stories about Lord John Grey and the last one is about Michael Murray, Young Ian's older brother and Marsali's sister Joan. Diana once again weaves her magic and brings these wonderful characters to life. Fantastic book to read but better if you have already entered into the wonderful world of Outlander. Warning, once you enter this world you can not escape............
on 13 October 2013
I adore Diana Gabaldon's books about Jamie and Claire, their family and adventures and I am eagerly awaiting the next book in the series (Written in My Own Heart's Blood). I am hoping that they live long enough for a few more books to be written about them. In the first book, Claire falls asleep on a warm day, among standing stones and wakes up 200 years in the past where Jamie Fraser saves her life and they fall in love with each other. In this book, their daughter (who grew up in the future but followed her mother back to the past) has returned to modern time Scotland because of the health of her child leaving Jamie and Claire in America in the past. Diana makes even the everyday routine of life interesting but there is also danger and excitement as well as an old fashioned love story. Unputdownable.
on 21 December 2012
At first disappointed that this did not continue the adventures of Jamie/Claire/Lord John and Briana/Roger/wee Jemmy where we left them at cliffhanger stage, but nevertheless i found it very satisfactorily ties up a few loose ends of related people in a most satisfactory way. Easly digestible short stories with all the usual humour and detailed observation in her "big books", these are, as Ms Gabaldon says, "bulges" in the timeline. They save the main story from meandering off in these none-the-less interesting directions.
I'm attempting to write something myself, and I fluctuate beween soaring inspiration to write like this, and the depths of depression that i will never be this good!
on 10 May 2014
I really enjoyed reading this book of novellas, not only for their own sake, but also for the tie-in with characters in the Outlander series of novels about Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser.
Diana Gabldon's writing is wonderful; multi-layered and full of detail. I have been reading her books for 20+ years now and still enmoy the freshness of her writing, which never fails to enthrall the reader! I would heartily recommend Diana's writing, you'll never be disappointed!!
on 21 July 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed this book of short stories, although as is normal with me - wanted them to be longer! The first one -
'A Wind on All Hallows' gives important information about what happened to Roger's father and certainly should be read by all those who have enjoyed reading the main Outlander series of books. If possible before reading Diana Gabaldon's recent book ''Written in My Own Heart's Blood'.
on 2 June 2015
These are my kind of books. All her fans wait eagerly for her next book in the series, they are so amazing. Says it all that Amazon prime has snapped up the TV series of it. If you like books with adventure, time travel and action then try these. A big chunk of history as a bonus, they are well researched, imaginatively written and always so entertaining to read.
on 30 May 2014
I love Diana Gabaldon books and bought this one while waiting impatiently for "Written in my own heart's blood" which I am still waiting impatiently for... bring it on!

This book of short stories was fab and I didn't want them to finish! as always, I dreaded the end of the book and then worry I'm not going to find another one that grasps me so much!
I didn't realise I would enjoy reading about John Grey without Jamie Fraser, but how wrong i was.

I've also recently read the Scottish Prisoner and again LOVED IT!!!!!!!
on 22 January 2013
Diana Gabaldon describes these stories as part of a bulge in the Outlander series. They are perfectly good but leave one wishing for more. I like the fact that she takes the trouble to fill in missing gaps and to flesh out peripheral characters, as if she felt they were lonely and neglected. Such a vast opus. Next novel please.
5 people found this helpful
on 6 December 2014
Excellent read ...Diane at her best if you have read all previous books on clare and jamie
As many times as I have then you will know a lot of the story but then there is THE TWIST
Enjoy