on 30 April 2013
This book just blew. me. away! I am a huge fan of Darren Shan and although being in my 20's have read all his children's books ( and his more adult books) and absolutely loved them but this was defiantly Darren's best work yet. This book hooks you right from the beginning. I read this book in one sitting which is something i have never done before. Its action packed from the start and keeps you interested by the various twists that literally leaves you with your mouth open. I really hope Darren writes more of these types of stand alone books.
on 15 April 2014
All I could say about this book after I finished it was “Wow”. It took awhile for me to get into this book- I thought it was a bit fanciful being about a hit man and written by an author who usually writes YA zombie books but once I was hooked- I couldn't put it down.
Lady of the shades, keeps you guessing and when you think you guessed right, it turns out to be wrong. The must frustrating things about this book is that you will be guessing to the very end and then palm face yourself because it was all right there the whole time.
This book is so finely crafted it is almost a work of art. When people ask me if I read any good books lately, this is one I remember because it blew me away.
on 7 March 2014
Not at all what I was expecting from Shan after all the fantastical gorey horror of his teen fiction but my goodness I am blown away.
This book really has been a rollercoaster keeping you always on your toes unsure of the direction the story is taking or where it will end up. Where it does end up is so far removed from where Shan begins you will be surprised but in no way disappointed. Loved every minute. :)
on 1 September 2012
When this book arrived in the afternoon post I started reading the 312 pages and didn't stop until I was finished (except to watch Parade's End on TV). This is perhaps not a book for younger readers because of the sexual content. Set in present day London this book has assasins, ghosts (shades) and gangsters as well as romance and a plot full of twists and turns. Can't see how there would be a sequel to this book which was was wtitten between 5th April 1999 and 29th May 2012 but with Darren Shan you never know.
Although I anticipated the twist in the end I'm not sure if there had been too many clues or having read all his other works I could see where he was going. (It reminded me of a 1990's film - no spoilers here - read the book and see if you agree with me).
on 9 October 2014
I read this book after my daughter raved about Darren Shan's Cirque Du Freak series and I'm glad I did. The plot is so different and fresh - it leads you down one path then twists to throw you completely in another direction.
I loved the fact that I wasn't sure if I liked the main character Ed and I couldn't make my mind up whether or not I wanted things to work out good or bad for him.
This is a book for someone who likes thrillers with a hint of the supernatural, excellent characterisation and an amazing plot. Can't wait for another adult novel from Shan.
on 28 January 2014
I'm 17, when I was a kid I read all of his young adult books, now he's making more and more adult books and they are genuinely very good books. Especially this one with all the nooks and crannies. So many twists and turns the book will keep you guessing until the final!
on 24 May 2013
Different to his other books, but definitely worth the read. There are no immediate Gore scenes in this book but there are questions which the main character goes in pursuit of that give the frame work to another his wonderfully written book. Definitely recommend it to any reader who loves mystery based novels!!!
on 1 March 2015
As a long time reader of Darren Shan, I thought I could predict all the tricks up his sleeves and keep one step ahead of him the whole way. I have never been so wrong... This book delivers twists, shock, eerie suspense and several "no way!" moments, and while i promised myself I would only read 50 pages at a time, I read the whole book in two sittings because it was impossible to put down. "The City Trilogy" was my favorite for a long time, but this book goes above and beyond expectations and has become a new favorite. I urge anyone to check it out :)
on 5 August 2013
Just wow never read a book with so many twists an turns. The story line was exstremley good and it took a while for me the work out the plot but even so when you think the story is over yet another mystery is uncovered I have read most of Darren Shans work but this is the best I've read so far and would recommend it to any one
on 13 February 2013
This was for my 16 year old son who loves Darren Shan's work.

He say's it is a brilliant book... What more can I say?