on 6 August 2017
I will come clean and say up front that l have loved the TT since l was 18,been there to see for myself the unique spectacle,well love/hate is nearer the truth. This book brings back all the memories and has stirred them up until lm now a very confused (disturbed) individual.Hear lies all the dirty little secrets of the island,and at times reading this book has made me feel guilty about loving such spectacle tinged with all the heartache and sadness that goes with such a love affair.
This is a very cleverly constructed dialogue and pulls no punches ,giving the reader both sides of an almost unfathomable world that TT and Manx GP racers live in. I loved reading this book by Rick Broadbent , felt very affected by it,and even a feeling of creaping depression that has stayed with me since I finished reading this book.
This is a hard read yet l thoroughly recommend this book.
Mal k.
One person found this helpful
on 4 June 2017
I'd expected a book filled with historical detail and early 20th century tales of daring. This book isn't that, but is all the better for being so. As a thought provoking journey through the race that is the TT, this book delivers. Very enjoyable as a prelu
de to this years races.
2 people found this helpful
on 1 July 2012
No exaggeration to say this is the best motorcycle book I've read and I have a shelf full of them. A totally absorbing and well constructed story. You feel like you're stood in the Isle of Man listening to the racers talk and watching the racing. Even someone not interested in motorcycles will be hooked by the intensity and drama of the story. Life affirming and mad, thank god for the TT and this excellent record of why it acts as such a magnetic to racers and spectators a like.
22 people found this helpful
on 28 May 2015
The 2010 and 2011 TT races had some of the most comprehensive media coverage of any series in recent memory. Not only were ITV4 providing daily programmes during TT week, but there were film makers, journalists and writers all covering the events. Rick Broadbent's book approaches the TT from five perspectives, his own and those of John Mcgunniess, Conor Cummins, Michael Dunlop and Guy Martin four of the most dedicated road racers on the current road circuit.
The Book is excellently written, flows well, very interesting and enjoyable. Broken up by chapters with each rider, the book goes deep into exploring the reasons why these mortal men seemingly put their lives on the line every summer, often averaging 130mph+ on the 37.7 mile circuit around the Isle of Man.
This is a very exciting read for anybody who is a fan of motorsport or for anyone who can appreciate the almost obsessive nature of dedicated professionals.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 4 June 2013
Simply put this is the best book or to be honest any other written format that I've read regarding the TT races. It gripped me from the second I picked it up until I finished it in the second reading session. If you want to find out about the TT racers and what they actually think then this is the book for you because it really allows the modern greats to expand on their lives and their thoughts about the TT.

All of the big names are in this book - McGuinness, Martin, Antsy, Hutchinson etc. They approach the whole racing game in different ways and without giving too much away you will warm to riders that might not have as large a profile as others.

What this book really does well is get under the skin of the TT road races in a way that I've not read anywhere else. So much so that I've already gathered up some mates to go and visit the next years races. The TT really is special and in 2013 a throwback to an era where men were men and political correctness had not been invented. It's no lie to say that the TT would never be allowed today if it had not already been in existence for over a hundred years.

If you are reading any of these reviews then you must have some interest in the TT. If you do then this is the best book by a country mile I've read about it.
on 12 November 2012
If you're a fan of the TT and have watched 'TT:3D' a handful of times then this book is for you.
It covers the same years' TT races as the movie only obviously in more detail.

The interviews the author had with John McGuinness in particular were my favourite parts of the book. Considering I hadn't seen this book advertised anywhere I was very pleasantly surprised with it and if there were ten stars I'd give it a full ten.

It goes into my top three favourite books without a doubt. I'll try not to use the old cliche "I couldn't put it down" but it rings true as I finished this book in record time.
That's not to say it was short, anything but. I just really enjoyed reading it and I'd highly recommend it.
6 people found this helpful
on 18 July 2017
The book starts with one of the worst written sentences I ever read. Then it carries you into the heart of the TT and the men and women who put their lives in the line in the name of racing. The words of Paul Dobbs widow made me cry and stand in awe of such courage .
McGuinness sending up a request for a look out from DJ had me choked with emotion.
These riders and their families are braver than brave. Their motivation is unknowable to a non racer . This book brings you close.
Admiration for the protagonists is assured.
Why this doesn't get more coverage is beyond me .
on 15 June 2017
I've read this twice now & enjoyed it as much the second time around. It explains why & how these motorcycle gladiators master the TT course without becoming maudlin about the deaths or glamorising the danger involved.
One person found this helpful
on 15 June 2013
Honestly the best book about racers and what makes them tick, that I have ever read. It will be one I go back to. The story of the Dunlops. The trails of Connor and Guy Martin. Mr Mcguiness et al. A friend of mine who raced used to talk about the "near death Thing" and even though I raced I just didn't get it at all. Now I think I do. It isn't long winded. It doesn't wrap things up in fluff, it tells it how it is. Brilliantly written by someone who understands his subject and the people involved. Read it Keep it
3 people found this helpful
on 24 May 2013
This book covers the Isle of Man TT races over the years of 2010 and 2011. For anyone who has seen the film "Closer to the Edge" it covers the same period (and more) and features some familiar characters.

The book follows Conor Cummins and Guy Martin primarily and Michael Dunlop and John McGuinness to a lesser extent over the two years of racing (and recovery). It offers a bit of background on the riders plus what they are thinking and doing over the two TTs. It also describes the races that happen over the period, although not in a dry way but in a way that relates to the characters involved, and not just the four 'main' characters the book mainly follows.

The book does deal with the unfortunate fatalities that occur, and tries to describe how the other riders deal with them. It is, of course, the author's observations and interpretations and not necessarily the deep thoughts of the riders themselves.

I've really enjoyed reading this book (I've still got a few chapters left), especially as I read it in the run up to this year's TT which begins with first practices tomorrow.