Customer reviews

Little White Lies
Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 June 2017
I have read several books by this author and this one is one of her best. I immediately became engrossed in this tale of three best friends and their families. It was one of those books that you are sorry when you come to the end, I wanted to know more. Just a couple of loose strands that I would have liked resolved.
on 11 October 2013
As with all of Lesley Lokko's books, this was so well researched to the tiniest last detail so was an engaging read.

However I completely agree with the other reviewers that the ending was very abrupt and didn't feel finished to me.

Still would recommend for the body of the novel but much preferred Sundowners and Bitter Chocolate.
on 30 March 2014
Brilliant. Lesley Lokko always a good read. You can lose yourself in the story Can't wait for her next one.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 April 2015
Another excellent novel from Lesley Lokko about three friends from very different backgrounds who meet at school and become firm friends. The novel follows their lives until they're all adults giving ample background information about their parents and respective families so that you're able to picture them in your mind , it involves plenty of international skulduggery and high finance and is written in such a way that you'll want to read it in one sitting - brilliant.
on 27 January 2015
The back of the book says that the story is about a child that goes missing. In reality, the child goes missing for about 10 pages at most, all the way at the end of the book and then THE END. Just like that..
Also, there were SO MANY spelling and grammatical mistakes in Spanish and Russian. Does the author not have anyone to check and edit her book? Or was she just arrogant in thinking that there isn't a person in the world that can possibly speak both of those languages?
I would not recommend this book and would not read anything else by this pretentious author.
on 20 June 2017
Really enjoyed this book from the beg to the end
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 29 July 2013
I had never read a book by Lesley Lokko before this, however I had heard great things about her as an author so I was very excited to start Little White Lies!

I don't particularly want to give away more than the description written above, because this is one of those books where it is better to go in not knowing too much, and letting the story unravel out in front of you as you progress. From the first pages I was very intrigued about what would happen, and I was soon drawn into Lesley's world of friendship, relationships and betrayal.

I really enjoyed Little White Lies, I enjoyed how Lesley explores these women, their personalities and the complex relationships and friendships that they have with each other. These women fascinated me, it was so interesting to know what made them how they are, and how their choices and the choices of other affected their lives. I loved following their individual journeys throughout the story and I wanted to read on because I was so keen to find out what would happen.

I was completely absorbed in this novel from start to finish. There is plenty to delve into in this compelling story, it is dramatic, it is addictive and like me you'll eagerly look forward to returning to the book to read more! I was very impressed by Little White Lies, and I am already looking forward to trying more of Lesley's novels.
on 15 May 2013
When a preview described this as being about a child going missing on holiday I expected a different sort of book.
Central to the story are three friends who met at an exclusive girls' school in the 1980s. All have interesting histories, and all are only children. Annick is the daughter of the president of Togo and his French wife; Rebecca is born into a wealthy Jewish banking family, and Tatiana (Tash) is brought up by her single Russian mother.
After the prologue set in the present, when the friends are approaching forty and have husbands and children, we are taken back in time, first to when the girls were teenagers and then as far back as 1935. This is the story of families and events in several continents over nearly a century. It culminates in a holiday in a luxurious villa in Martha's Vineyard.
If I'd known more about the subjects of this book I probably wouldn't have read it, not being particularly interested in banking or fashion, and usually preferring psycholgical thrillers and crime stories to sagas such as this. But I'm giving it 4 stars as I did enjoy it, appreciating the development of the different characters and the variety of settings and time periods.
on 7 January 2014
I've read all Lesley Lokko's books and always enjoy the prospect of a new one. However, her earlier ones were by far the most enjoyable and absorbing in my opinion. This was a good read but towards the end I found myself looking forward to finishing. As others have said, the ending was rather abrupt and rushed, leaving one with a sense of the author herself having become a little bored! The 'missing child' wasn't really a feature of the story at all other than to serve as a finale. I somehow felt that nothing was resolved between any of the characters. One other small point - I always find with LL's novels that the characters take some sorting out to begin with, ie their origins and ancestry, but that all becomes clear the further into the book one gets. I often have to jot down notes to begin with! Small niggle and probably makes her novels more intriguing to read.
33 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 April 2016
I have always loved Lesley Lokko's Books in the past ( particularly Sundowners and Bitter Chocolate) but a feel a little disappointed with the continuity in this one . There were some unanswered questions in this one ... mainly the monetary issue between Julian and Tash .. the issue between Annick and Yves and as other readers have mentioned the very quick 'resolution ' regarding the missing child .
I have just started reading In Love and War hoping this will be better .