on 10 February 2008
Mum of a 14 week old.

The book is nicely written and easy to follow. It seems we have the same theories on raising a baby and I can whole-hartedly agree with everything in here so that is why I decided to give it SOME stars. However it is just so vague and lacks ANY real information.

This really has been written through rose tinted glasses. I have an extremely calm and happy baby (either because I was blessed or because I refuse to be fazed by a tiny innocent baby which in turn keeps her calm) but I am aware not many people are as lucky as me and will be in for quite a shock after reading about the little effort you have to put in to achieve angel status baby.

It touches lightly on every aspect of bringing up baby before skipping on to the next without looking at problems that arise in every one of the areas she dusts over.

I wanted/needed a book to help with individual/specific/unusual problems like why my baby has decided to take less of her feed and feed more often. Supernanny is famous for her ability to understand children and explain why they do what they do and how to put it right but it seems she has written this book to help you plan the arrival and keep baby alive.

It is ideal for a mum who really thinks they do not have a clue about raising a baby. With the advice in this book you will keep your baby safe and well without doubt, but if you want to know why your baby's behaviour changes from time to time, why they do things they've never done before, do things they havent done for months etc, you wont get any help here. Absolutely no behavioural advice/information whatsoever.

Such a shame because Jo is clearly a wonderful nanny and I would trust her 100% with my daughter but I there is nothing in this book I could learn from.
on 20 December 2011
I am a first time mother. i bought this book when my baby was about 4 or 5 months old.
i remember reading other poor reviews of this book and thinking "but her tv programme is so good her methods seem to work....."
i think i was looking for what was normal in terms of behaviour my daughter was exhibiting and how i should respond to her, particularly with regard to feeding and sleeping and routine.
i breastfeed my baby and her information regarding breastfeeding was inaccurate at best. when my daughter was between 3&6 months old she would breastfeed between 4 & 7 minutes, not 40 mins.
i found that the information regarding naps was vague, i was looking at 3-6 months in her book and babies change so much in this time..... but none of this information was helpful or even seemed to relate to my child.
i wondered if i was being harsh and had an unusual child. i asked the mummies in my postnatal group and my nct group and the mummies at the surestart childrens centre at stay and play about their babies and described what i had read in the book, and none of these mummies could relate the information or advice to their children.
my advice is simple really, if you think this is the book that will guide you through motherhood with your beautiful baby, go and have a read of it in the library before you invest money and potentially dont find what you are looking for.
the only good thing about this book is the common sense advice about how to change nappies, basic first aid etc.....however i feel this is better presented and written in the baby book by william and martha sears - this book really helped me where supernanny left me to worry.
on 1 October 2007
Great, practical advice that is easy to read and refer back to (frequently). Would be great to read in pregnancy to help prepare you for whats coming! The information Jo gives is supporting and encourages you to trust your own instincts, helping you become more confident that you actually do know what you are doing!
on 8 February 2012
I bought this book 2 years ago when I had my first son and it was a huge help. Really easy to read and you can almost hear Jo's voice as you read the advice she gives.
She suggests feeding plans and also things to stimulate your baby. There is all the usual advice in here that you would expect from a baby book, about sleeping, feeding, bathing etc.. however the way she has written this book is so friendly and non condescending that you dont feel embarrassed at having to look at a book for baby advice when you read it.
I now have a second baby and I have dusted off the book and am referring to it again for advice when I need it.

A very good book.

My sister in law is now expecting and I bought her a copy of this book and she loves its.
on 29 November 2013
One of the worst books on the market, full of misinformation and unsubstantiated personal opinions, conflicting with basic childcare advice by British and Irish healthcare intuitions.The advice on babies gagging and getting sick in distress, to which the parent is supposed just clean up and recommence "training" - this is just shocking and reads like it was written by a heartless psychopath you wouldn't want near your baby.
I used a borrowed copy and wouldn't pay to buy this awful underresearched money spinner feeding off parental doubts and insecurities. Don't buy either for yourself or even worse, for a friend expecting the first baby.
on 3 May 2013
Very happy with the book, great condition and very pleased about the delivery service too. The book has all info you need, I strongly recomand it. Go Jo! :)
on 15 November 2012
I like super nanny, so I guess I would like her book. Individual choice, but she helps by being frank in what to expect and what you can do, buy or not waste your money on when looking forward to your new addition. I read when pregnant, but you can refer back to each 3 months of babies life to get tips etc.
on 26 August 2013
This book really helped with a newborn baby - very easy to read and practical help for all situations. Would recommend.
on 19 July 2012
Just as I would have expected of anything Jo Frost does, the book is a very easy read and provides mothers with very practical and useful information. As a first-time mother, her discourse leaves me more relaxed with an understanding for the unexpected and a sense of normality even if things seem to be going wrong. Thank you Jo... love your work!
on 15 July 2012
This is an absolutely super book by supernanny!!! My baby is due in the next few weeks and reading this book has really helped give me confidence in what's about to happen, what I need to know and things I didn't know. I love her series and this book is just as good. Fully recommended!!