Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 April 2012
Only finished this at ten minutes to midnight last night. It is a great read and I couldn't put it down. Very current and easy to relate to. The character of Amber is well crafted, frustrating at times, but loveable all the same. Her fiancé Ed is selfish and just as Amber gets the job of a lifetime he moves them from London to Cornwall 'for his career'.

Once in Cornwall Amber has some hilarious encounters and gets a job doing interior design in a stately home. I laughed out loud at so many incidents (i dare you not to at the green slime) causing a few concerned looks! I cried too at some of the poignant moments involving Alex, Lord Verney who becomes Amber's Heathcliff like boss. Alex is written so well I was in love with him very early on. The supporting characters are given just enough detail, but don't dominate. Their role in moving the story along is very well done.

This is just the right read if you have had a hard week and would be a perfect holiday read, especially if you go to Cornwall. Will be ordering more of Ruth Saberton's books that is for sure.
on 27 April 2012
Amber Scott is Starting Over Ruth has once again captured the essence of being part of a rocky relationship and the aftermath...Once started I couldn't put the book down, the characters and settings came to life in my head and the humour made me chuckle from start to finish. Think modern day 'Pride and Prejudice' meets 'Bridget Jones'. A great read for holidays or when you have time on your hands!I have already recommended this book to all my friends and eagerly await reading Ruth's next book...
on 24 April 2012
This book is amazing it is an easy read which is guaranteed to make you giggle and sympathise with Amber. All characters and described brilliantly and help you build that all important picture in your head! Well worth a read I couldn't put it down.
on 29 June 2013
I downloaded this book because I noticed that it was set in Cornwall (one of my favourite places) I'm so glad I did.
What a lovely, funny, well written book. I guessed fairly early on what was going to happen at the end (including the storyline with Ed!) but I just thoroughly enjoyed all the characters/naughty pets and situations that Amber got herself into.
Ideal holiday reading, I've downloaded Ruths other two novels to read while I'm on the (Cornish!) beach in August, weather permitting of course!
Well done Ruth, hope you write many more novels!
on 7 July 2012
This is not a deep and meaningful book, its designed perfectly for light holiday reading. Easy to pick up and put down, easy to follow and easy going characters to get to know. I read this whilst in hospital recovering from an operation, it was ideal and really cheered me up. A perfect book for lighter moods, and no difficult plot to follow, or cast list to have to keep referring to.
I enjoyed the writing style, although for the first 50 pages I was a little frustrated at the authors habit of traling off into very complex and unnecessarily wordy tangents. Just keep to the story! That said, I would recommend this book as a perfect pick-me-up.
on 4 June 2012
I read 'Katy Carter wants a hero' first and this is even funnier! There are times, yes, when I want to hit Amber for being so stupid because to be honest, I seen the end coming a mile away! The characters are funnier in this book, a bit more original and not as formulaic either. There isn't much to say, it's a light hearted summer read which would be great for the beach! :)
on 4 June 2012
Have enjoyed all Ruth Saberton's books and this was no exception. Delightfully quirky yet easy to relate to characters, coupled with glorious descriptions that brought one of my favourite English counties to life on the page - what's not to love?
on 27 May 2013
An excellent read . While on holidays with my daughter this was a very good relaxing read , funny in places , once you start it is hard to leave it down . Recommend this book if you like a light hearted read .
on 21 September 2013
Fantastic read that I could not put down. Recommended by my sister who trained with the authors sister in London years ago. She used to read some of her stories before she got published and said I had to try her books. I have loved them all and would highly recommend them.
on 1 June 2012
I loved Amber Scott. She seems on the outside to be a ditsy blonde, dragged screaming from a potentially brilliant job in London, down to a farmhouse in a sleepy Cornish village, but as the story unfolds, she discovers where her true talents lie and manages to find love in the process.

A couple of downers, the story took a while to get going (for me anyway) and the love affair started way too late in the story, which left me wanting more.

Still, worth the five stars. A very good read.